2001 Intrigue

3.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Ok car

by Kris from Lansing, MI on October 6, 2007

I bought my intrigue in 2005 with 59,000 miles. I've had a few problems with the car- and I've said many times that I was just going to get rid of it, but still haven't. At 70,000 miles I had to replace the crankshaft sensor. That was causing my car to stall when the engine was cold. Brakes and rotars are standard stuff but I noticed that I was changing them like every 6 months and I am NOT at all hard on them- so I bought new brakes and rotars with life time warranties- I highly recommend it! At 115,000 miles the check engine light came on and on the scanner it shows as a problem with the emissions- however my car still runs fine and I haven't had the time to get my mechanic to look at it- so whatever! At 124,000 miles my alternator went out. And that's all- and as you can tell I drive A LOT. This car only left me stranded one time and other then having charcol leather seats with no AC (because that broke after 100k.) this car hasn't been too bad. I don't know that I would ever own one again tho.

Worst American Car I have ever Owned

by Disappointed with Oldsmobile from California on January 19, 2007

From the very begining after I bought the car new, I had problems: timing chain cover oil leak, misaligned door, glove compartment door that would not close. On February 2005, at 33,000 miles the transmission broke. It took a new transmission and 3 trips to the dealer, plus a rental car for 28 days, to get it fixed. From there on, it was monthly trips to the dealer for different items : rack and pinon, front wheel bearings, tie rod ends, cracked battery (2), valve cover and crankcase oil leaks, power window motor that would not work, front bucket seats that would rock, plus more transmission work. Altogether, repairs ran about $10,000 courtesy of the extended warranty. Five years later, and with only 49,000 miles in the odometer, the car is finally running good.

First Car I Bought

by Reuben from New Bremen, OH on August 31, 2010

With this being the first car I have owned, it's been great and I have not had any problems with it. I could go on and on about how great the car is, but I'll just say this, this car is excellent and everybody should buy one!!

high mileage

by comspro from Toledo, OH on August 14, 2011

I love this car. The body styling remains appealing and the engine is still hanging in there at 219K. Little stuff not working: blinkers erratic, fan speed w/no high level, oddly horns went out early on. Had to replace the shift handle x2. some problems with the ignition. But otherwise, an excellent vehicle.

Love my Intrigue

by butterfliesrainbow76 from MId Michigan on March 16, 2013

I bought my Intrigue used , for 1,400 dollars, excellent price as it only has 125,000 miles on it, its in good condition, little rust , only a couple of small dents, runs great, has been very reliable, it doesnt ride like a cadalliac but its not bad, gets great gas milage, as a person who has primarly owned and driven jeeps, going back to car was an adjustment, but I am very pleased with my Intrigue especially the gas mileage.

Best Bang for the Buck

by Buy-for-resale hobbyist from Phoenix, Arizona on April 17, 2007

The driving impression of this car is solid, firm, and ably powered. This sedan drives like a flat track race car because of its wide stance and excellent weight distribution, suspension feels "big car" solid, but nimble in lane change manuevers. High points for exterior styling- athletic and poised. Low points for interior design of cheap looking plastic appointments. Layout of instruments, gauges, controls are intelligent and organized. Interior room plentiful for four adults with ample trunk storage and accessiblity thru rear seat backs. I liked driving it in urban traffic for its tight feel and responsiveness. A very good value for used car price tag, still much life left after 76,000 miles.

Good car, but not great

by Unfallible from Indianapolis on December 31, 2006

This car had potential to be great, but GM messed it up with the usual poor interior design. Various panels are loose, and the coinholder is falling out. The upholstery and plastics used look and feel utterly cheap. Though the car drives great with powerful engine and smooth transmission, the overall feeling driving is lowered due to the cheap feel and poor colors inside. The exterior is very good as far as styling. Trunk space and legroom is great, lots of room for anything. Offers decent gas mileage for the performance and size it is.

Nice Car for it's price

by unfalliblekrutch from Carmel, Indiana on August 23, 2006

I bought the car used from someone who had it as his company car. Resale value is unbelievably low on this car, so for the price, it's a great deal. The vehicle handles well for a large mid-sized car, and it accelerates really quickly. The stereo is decent, but the buttons are placed badly and the screen doesn't display information efficiently. The steering wheel controls are placed in an uncomfortable position. The power windows will decide to work when they want to. Various interior plastics are poorly constructed and break upon the lightest touch. The auto climate control doesn't always do what I want it to, but manual control fixes that. Other than those problems, the car is a great value. The exterior styling is really good, trunk space is huge, and the engine is powerful.

Does not recommend this car!!

I'm very disappointed they're discontinued

by Rush Dittohead from Toledo, OHIO on April 24, 2008

I didn't have to change the brakes until 47K. At 85K, I had the trans serviced at the dealership for 1K. I now have 165K miles on it and plan to bring everything up to full repair. Hopefully, I'll double the mileage. Great car! Also, do yourself a favor. Use nothing but the best parts and oil on it. It's worth the extra money.

Comfort and performance

by 2001 Olds Review from Huntington, WV on July 30, 2006

With a smooth cushey ride, you wouldn't expect a car the size of the Intrigue to corner and handle with the grace and agility that it does. the twin tube strut front suspension sure gets the job done. All controls are exactly where and how you expect them to be placed. Our tests over a two year period averaged 26.8 MPG in the highways of mountainous West Virginia.

1 2