2000 Firebird

2000 Pontiac Firebird

2000 Pontiac Firebird

Have You Driven the 2000 Pontiac Firebird?

Crash Experience

by Firehawk72 from Miami, Fl on Sat Oct 02 2010

I have always loved the Firebird/Trans Am. I've now had 3, a 1989, a 195, and most recently, a 2000. While shopping recently, I found a great deal on an immaculate 2000 Firebird Convertible. Red/Black... Beautiful car.... The exterior styling is incredible, and the car looks awesome with the top down.. Performance was always great, whether on the freeway, passing another car, or from a dead stop trying to jump out into traffic.. always plenty of power to spare. However, my highest commendations on this car go to how its design protected myself and my passenger in a recent crash. While on a North Carolina freeway, we hydroplaned in the rain. My passenger's mother was in the car in front of us, and saw the whole thing happen. We did 3 complete 360's, crashed into the center guardrail of the interstate, and kept going, taking out about 80' of the guardrail. The damage to the car is extensive (in fact, it is totalled), but neither I nor my passenger had a single scratch on us. The low, wide stance, I believe, kept us from rolling over. The very thick doors protected my passenger from the guardrail, which ripped open the passenger door's outer panel like a can opener. The deep bucket seats with their ample supports kept us both firmly in place, and kept us from getting jostled and knocked around. We aren't even sore! The car performed amazingly!! While it saddens me to have one more of these amazing cars taken off the road, I am already shopping for my next one!!!

Great car for the money

by TADriver from Fort Lewis, WA on Sun May 03 2009

I have a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am an its been one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever owned. Great styling-I always get comments on how great looking of a car it is. You definitely can't beat the performance for the price-especially now. The LS1 engine is awesome an nearly bulletproof, Ive overheated mine before due to a faulty radiator cap but it still runs awesome an doesn't skip a beat-the car itself will probably fall apart before the LS1 does. The only things I didnt like were the plastic interior wears easily and the window motors are a bad design so they go out alot-theres also alot of other little things but im not gonna nit pick-the Trans Am is an awesome car an I definitely plan on keeping mine for awhile.

no regrets

by Teampontiac88 from Lindenhurst,ny on Sat Nov 20 2010

I bought my 2000 trans am 8/22/10 and expected some problems. So far its like a brand new car! This car is better then any new car I have ever owned!

My Dream Car

by Pontiac Enthusiast from Middlebury IN on Mon Nov 21 2011

I have wanted a Trans Am since I was 8. I bought mine last year. It has 65,000 miles and I have had no issues with it. Super reliable and fast, and surprisingly not too bad on gas.

Firebird

by E from Houston on Fri Dec 21 2012

Pontiac Firebirds are great cars, wish they would bring them back! I have a brand new Camaro and although my Firebird is older is still can keep up with it!!!!

A classic muscle car

by Classic Muscle Car Lover from Charleston, SC on Tue May 06 2014

I have a red T-Top 5.7L model and love it. I get looks, smiles, and plenty of waves from strangers as I drive by. The power is incredible, a very muscular beast. Some say these are old school but I say they're a classic through and through. Problems have been minimal. I can work on this car. I'm proud to say I have a Pontiac!

Best Bang For Buck You Can Get

by Fontiac Pirebird on Mon Feb 19 2018

The 98-02 V8 Firebird and Trans Am are one of the best bang for your buck performance cars you can buy. They feature the LS1 engine, GM’s all new V8 engine design first appearing in the 1997 Corvette, to replace the ancient small block. Pair that with the also legendary T56 manual transmission and you are sitting in one of the highest power-to-cost ratio cars in the world. My 2000 Firebird Trans Am has been nothing but fun. It’s fast, it’s reliable, and it gets pretty good Gas mileage! I get pretty close to, if not, 30 mpg on the PA turnpike. The interior isn’t the best, being that it’s all hard plastic it feels like sitting in a fisher-price toy. The seats are difficult to get comfortable in and I’m usually ready to find a place to stretch out after about 30 minutes of driving. The center console armrest hurts my elbow after a while because it’s hard plastic, and I started keeping a cloth rag in the console to put underneath my elbow. Comfort wise it’s not the best, but if you’re looking for a luxurious ride, you are looking at the wrong car. The black interiors look pretty nice, but any other color interior just looks ugly and will forever have the “old” car look. T tops are nice in the warm weather but they’re a tradeoff. They leak in the rain, some are better than others. Even mine which has brand new seals will still drip if I’m sitting still in the rain. Apart from all that, I love this car. They aren’t too loud stock, but they can sound insane depending on how aggressive of an exhaust you put on. The LS1 doesn’t quite have the deep grumble “gluglugluglugluglug” of the older small block, but it does have its own very distinct, more modern note. My car in bright red with an aggressive exhaust is definitely a head-turner. These cars are super easy to work on and parts are not expensive at all. If you’re looking at a higher mileage one (90,000 miles and up) you may be looking at doing some light work like spark plugs or water pump or power steering hoses which tend to start leaking at this age. Put some good name brand tires on these cars, at least 275 wide. Stock 245 wide tires are ok for a V6 but the V8 is a little overwhelming for them. Whether you have a V6 or V8, 275 wide tires are a must. They look much nicer and they benefit the whole car with improved handling and braking. Overall I love this car and would definitely buy it again. And again. It’s hard to beat this much performance on such a low price. The mustangs weren’t able to surpass the horsepower of these things until 2011 (minus the cobra), which was 9 years after these were killed! Put a good radio in it, a nice exhaust, and cruise around in it, or throw a cam and heads at it and take it to the drag strip, or modify the suspension and turn it into an autocross monster. There is plenty of aftermarket to make this thing do whatever you want.

A true muscle car!

by Muscle Man from Illinois on Sun Jun 24 2007

I enjoy driving my Trans Am. I have owned 3 Trans Ams in the past twenty yeasrs, and this is the most awsome on to date. I think Pontiac made a mistake when they decided to drop this model from their line up. I like to smo0ke the tires when the imports roll up to me at the lights.

A Man's Dream Car

by Phoenix from Livermore, California on Mon Dec 08 2008

I just bought my Firebird and I love it. Fun to ride, excellent handling, great on gas, (if you have a V6) and a head turner. If you're thinking about getting one GO FOR IT!!! You won't forget it.

Package by its cover

by Muscle6 from San Diego, CA on Wed Feb 09 2011

When I bought this car new in 2000, it ran, looked, and even felt like a real-deal sportscar. However, after only one year, it began to have problems, such as the manual gearbox started to stick in third gear, the breaks somehow developed a small delay from foot-to-floor and reacton-from-vehicle. I know that it's 1. an American car, 2. its a sports car, and 3. it a PONTIAC, so i had expected these things to be problems down the road, but not only after one year of driving. I knew a friend who experianced the same problem with his own Pontiac Firebird. I traded the car in for a 2000 Ford Mustang, and was considerably more pleased with that than the Firebird.

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2