2006 G6

2006 Pontiac G6

2006 Pontiac G6

4.0

Have You Driven the 2006 Pontiac G6?

Great Car!

by FBG6Coupe from Sherman Oaks, CA on Tue Jul 28 2015

I bought this car brand new on January 1st, 2006. It has been a dream! Fun to drive, beautiful styling, comfortable, powerful and quiet engine. I have replaced the radio twice, fixed a steering shaft issue, and a wheel bearing. Other than that, just normal maintenance. I'm approaching 90k miles, and it still gets the fuel economy on the sticker (21.29), I actually average 30 and above on the freeway. I don't know why others have had so many problems, my only guess is that the first owner really put the car through alot, then got rid of it, so the second owner is dealing with the fallout. In any event, I can't imagine loving another car as much. Exterior styling is classy and elegant yet sporty and youthful.

Very reliable and good car for the money.

by Who told you that? from DeKalb, Il on Tue Aug 23 2011

Overall gas milage sitting at 31 mpg. The 3.6 V6 has plenty of power. Smooth ride, nice handling. Other than basic maintanance I haven't had to put any money into it what-so-ever. It's a great car.

This Car Has Endured it All

by Hey Bud from Appalachian Mountains on Sun Feb 18 2018

I work as a field inspector, and I use this as my main car. If I could have chosen which car to use when I started work as one, I would have chosen something 4X4 and higher off the ground. Nontheless, this car has earned my respect. It currently sits at 209,000 miles. Bought used at 123,000 in above average condition. With my work, I go up and down roads all the time, around 200-350 miles a day when working. I'm looking into getting to at least 300,000 miles before considering another car. Was bought for right under $5,000. As it is right now, nothing is wrong with it. Here is a list of non maintenance items I've had to replace: -Fuel pump 320$ -Rack & Pinion 670$ -Alternator 212$ -Emissions Solenoid (caused check engine light to be on, active when bought) 100$? -Thermometer for cooling system (I think I got scammed by the mechanic) 120$? -Ball join (3 times front right) 120-200$ -Brake caliper/hose (2 times, front right) 99-200$ -Rear spring coils $??? - Hub bearing $??? There is currently some rust on the lower corner of the body of the left rear door. I've noticed a lot of these have it there. It's common. I've had to change the rotors probably 4 times. I've read other people having similar issues, but in my situation where I descend mountains all the time I probably sped this process up. My brake pads though look brand new. At first glance you may say "Wow this car breaks so much!" You'd be entirely correct. With my work, I drive a lot, up and down mountains, gravel roads, horrible driveways, you name it. This is a 12/13 year old car now with over 200,000 miles now being abused all the time. Parts get old, parts get worn. This is true of any car you buy. I've had no problems at all with the actual 3.5 V6 engine .I change the oil about every month and a half at 5-6 thousand miles though. The modern gasoline engine is capable of so much more than what it's credited. The transmission fluid I was sure was never changed by the previous owner, and by a friend's advice I never changed it or the filter. You should always change it, but there is a murky rumor that you shouldn't change anything at all if it's never been serviced. I've asked a lot of people and it seems like a 50/50 failure-success rate. It's a sealed transmission with no dipstick, it's not supposed to be changed under normal driving conditions. I've not had any problems with the transmission so far. I'm sure one day that'll happen, and then the question whether to spend $1,200 dollars or buy a new car will come up. Keep that car for a year and it comes to $120 a month. My car has driven through isolated woods, coastal islands, Canada, NYC, strip mines, awful rutted out driveways, terrible gravel roads, and very curvy and steep roads. It's an odd thing that my car has taken so much and I've not yet had to change anything major to the suspension. The rear spring coils broke at the mechanic shop because they're incompetent at working a lift. The ball joints have all been the front passenger side. I've changed them three times and you know I'm almost convinced it's parts because the other ball joints have been fine. I've had my car for almost exactly 2 years. 50,000 miles my first year and likely the second as it may come out to being. If you commute close by and not drive hours away you probably won't suffer as much in terms of repairs. Interior styling is fine, it's comfortable.

Best car I've ever owned

by John from Depauw,In on Fri Jan 26 2007

I was really surprised when the salesman brought the g6 up for me to test drive. I had told him what I was looking for and he showed me a 2006 g6 gt leather seats moon roof ect. all the bells and whistles .

2006 G6 base 4 cylinder

by Cheryl from roch. ny on Tue May 23 2006

pro's -nice cockpit -exterior styling -4 cylinder performance and fuel economy -quite interior, nice ride -good handling -sweet red backlighting Con's -seats not up on luxury -no airbags, abs, or traction -not a lot of interior storage -no center pull down armrest in rear -rear visiblity overall---above average car

An actuall great touring car!

by Chris from Cincinnati, OH on Wed Nov 01 2006

This car is great on long trips. No fatigue at all. The only thing that I don't like about the interior is I can't find a comfortable place for my left arm to rest. But other than that, PERFECT CAR!

Very reliable!

by Eternity Faith from Pennsylvania on Wed Oct 23 2019

I Like the car, it is very reliable and comfortable. The only compaint is the car only has one key entry which is on driver's door. So if for some reason you can't use the door handle you can not get into that car! Both of my front door handles broke off. Other than that it's a really Kool car.

Best car

by Kelsey1717 from Adrian,MI on Sun Apr 23 2017

This is one of the best cars I have owned since I've started driving. I'm really glad I came across this car in the website!

RENTAL

by Queen Bee from Fort Wayne, IN on Wed Jul 12 2006

I rented this car for 1 week and I love this car! When I rent cars to go home I usually ended up with the 2006 Chevy Malibu's. I was impressed with those as well and was possibly considering to get one. But, now that i've rented the G6. I know exactly what I will be getting as my next car!! It rides sooo smooth and is very stylish.

Excellent first car

by Car lover from Milwaukee, WI on Wed Jul 23 2008

This is the first new car I have ever owned and it has been absolutely spectacular. I bought it after test-driving 16 other cars, ranging from the Ford Fusion to the Chevy HHR, and I have not been disappointed in my choice. The engine is exceptionally quiet even at highway speeds. The transmission has no problem picking the gear I want, which is unusual for me, given that all of my cars prior to this one had had manual transmissions. The rear seat has ample leg room for friends and family. The fuel economy is pretty good, as I generally get around 30 mpg in combined driving.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2006 Pontiac G6

General Motors has a certified hit on its hands in the all-new 2006 Pontiac G6 convertible. By the time the bright blue test vehicle left my driveway, news had broken that the entire stock of 2006s had sold out. So no matter what I say in this review, you’l have to wait until the 2007s reach dealerships before you can buy one.

That said, I can only imagine the G6’s popularity remains intact thanks to the same set that made the Chrysler Sebring convertible a strong seller years past its prime: drivers with a need for an affordable four-seat droptop who don’t care much about performance, but for whom looks and practicality remain pretty important.

Exterior