Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2008 G8

2008 Pontiac G8

2008 Pontiac G8

Have You Driven the 2008 Pontiac G8?

best sport sedan money can buy

by boston from boston, ma on Wed Nov 17 2010

I've owned a few cars in my time, and the G8 GT is easily the best bang for the buck I've ever had. I had a few minor issues that were taken care of via the factory warranty w/ no problem when I first had the car, but nothing that got me stranded just annoying sound coming from front suspension, that type of thing. Since I had the warranty work done I now have 55,000 miles on my '08 and if you were to drive my car back to back w/ my fiance's 2008 accord there is no way you'd come back saying the honda had better quality, the G8 has fewer squeaks/rattles and is tighter overall w/ 10,000 more miles. I have added an intake/exhaust and had the engine/tranny tuned by a professional speed shop that has increased the power to about 430HP for about $1500 !!! - This car is so powerful for how large it is it is just plain amazing and the handling is great too - it seems the harder you push the car the "smaller" it becomes. The rear seat is HUGE - bigger than a 5 series and I also average about 20 mpg mixed city/hwy, i can get as good as 25 on the highway w/ cruise control. Find me a car w/ this kind of power and size that can get the same fuel economy! If you can't afford a 5 series don't waste your money on the 3, get the G8 GT and you WILL NOT be disappointed. Only thing I wish it had was factory Navigation, but I got a garmin hardwired to the ignition mounted on the dash so that solved that problem for about $350 installed

Pontiac G8

by Pontiac G8 Lvr from Novi, MI on Mon Sep 10 2012

I am 6'4" and this is the roomiest car I have been in. The GT is the most performance for the money, and is still faster than some of the new sport sedans coming out. It is reliable, great looks, and a collector, as its the last powerfully car Pontiac made. Once I pay this one off, I plan on getting another, hopefully a GXP.

6.0L of Fun

by Youngster from Portland, OR on Tue Oct 04 2011

Reliability has not been an issue havent even needed to change the oil yet so we will see on that. Value is great. Big V8 plenty of horsepower and torque, active fuel management to help improve effiency, defeatable traction control. Interior is pretty good the seats are comfortable the controls are unique. The gauges are well designed and only two things are poor. The passenger airbag light in the reaerview mirror is suspect and be aware that the passenger seat DOES NOT go back as far as the drivers seat. exterior is gorgeous, tail lights are unique wouldnt call them beautifull but they work with the car. The front 2/3 of the car is the selling point. Performance. My G8 GT just keeps pulling, feels like everytime it switches gear more horsepower is unleashed even though that is not the case. Really goes in 2nd and 3rd gear. Endless tire smoke if you want it. Comfort Somewhat rough over potholes and speed bumps but what do you expect from a sports car. Medium firm ride but really smooth on the freeways. Tight steering. Overall a 4 Very good at what it is meant to be. A BMW 5 series for half the cash. Limited slip rear end fully independant suspension, big power. Test drive one if you can find em, fun car.

My G8 GT has driveline vibration problem!

by Loyal Pontiac Owner from PA on Tue Jun 10 2008

I have a G8 GT that came with 4 out-of-round tires and a transmission that shifted into neutral while I was on the highway. Real fun! Then it locked up in third gear and I had to drive it back to the dealer in that condition. I now have a driveline vibration that comes and goes as you are maintaining a steady speed. This happens from 30mph up to 70mph. GM acknowledges the problem, but does not have a fix for it yet. No word when and if they ever will! I have less than 2000 miles on the car and am looking into trading it in. Love the car, but can not stand the vibration!

Does not recommend this car!!

Better than any review I've seen...

by G8 Fan from on Mon Mar 30 2009

I just bought my Pontiac G8 V6 with sound, comfort and sunroof package upgrades. Not to mention remote ignition. This car is great! The heated seats are awesome! There car's very quiet and smooth doing 80 down the highway. There are only 2 things that I can think of that I'd change (but by no means are a legit reason not to go out and get this car!... "the passenger airbag on/off" indicated which is located right on the rear view mirror, it should dim at night or something. I faded mine out w/ a thin strip of window tint, no more problem. the second thing is w/ the manual sport shifting option, down shifting for aggressive drive works perfect however, when going through the gears while accelerating there's a noticeable delay in changing gears. It's by no means a deal breaker, I just wish it was more responsive/comparable to the real thing. Go Pontiac! I've had this car for a couple months, bought it new... I still get excited when I'm taking her out!

The Only Car GM Hasn't Recalled?

by First Time GM Owner from Denver, CO on Fri Jun 20 2014

I bought my Pontiac G8 GT on 6/10/14 with just over 30,000 miles and I've loved ever second behind the wheel. The first night I owned it I had to drive it 700 miles back to my home state. The next weekend I took it on a 300 mile road trip through the mountains. My car is supercharged and still managed to pull 23.75 hand calculated MPG and there were a few spirited runs in there as well. The car is very quiet and handles magnificently. The steering response is superb with no play in the wheel. Vision from inside the car is great. Many newer cars have huge haunches and smaller windows but visibility is a plus for the G8; however, backing up can be hard since it is a very large car. I marked the interior down slightly because the seats could use a little more side bolstering to keep you in place and the stereo isn't up to par with most vehicles. The interior is a little bit bland and monotonous, but put together well with soft touch materials everywhere. I expect reliability to be very good, but there are a few known problems with the G8. Front control arms tend to wear quick and need replaced along with strut bushings and the engine can develop a lifter tick with the Active Fuel Management hardware. The control arms are not a large expense and as for the lifters, if you're buying a GT it is because you want a V8. Most people replace the lifters and cam and delete the Active Fuel Management and pick up a few horsepower. Other than those small issues, I expect many years of pleasureful driving.

fast n affordable

by car guy from staten island on Mon May 07 2012

This is no honda accord and if you are looking for one [or similar] then forget this car. Not an economy car but not horrible on gas if you are easy on the gas petal. Its all about motor and performance for this ride. A bit coarse for the mild at heart and all buisness for the performance enthusiast. I couldn't be happier with my choice.

sweet ride

by Pontiac G8 owner from Baltimore, Md on Thu Jan 20 2011

This car is everything the car heads said it was. Killer looks and rides great. Tons of pep (I got the V8), sports car styling, but luxury sedan room inside and 4 doors. Have only driven for two months so can't fully attest to reliability, but so far, so good. Highly recommend to anyone looking for horsepower without giving up elbow room on the inside.

Best purchase so far!

by Daddy with a 'tude from Gurnee, IL on Sun Aug 29 2010

I've owned 14 cars so far, most of them performance cars, and the G8 GT is one of the best values I've had yet. I bought an '08 new and love the styling, handling, performance, and remote starter. I have 65,000 miles on it 2 years later and am still in love with this thing! The stereo could be a tad better, but I'm a music freak. The manual shifter is nice but could be a little more responsive. This car is perfect as a daily driver because you won't burn the tires at every stop sign from a dead stop - but you'll blow away almost every other 2 and 4 door sports car on the road. Not having to buy tires every 5000 miles is a plus! Brake stands are a different issue, though...lol... If you like a performance car with a full back seat for kids (or extra passengers), this is your car. Pontiac is out of business now, so get this collector's car now!

I absolutely love my car!!!

by J dog from Los angeles ca on Tue Sep 27 2011

I recently got a Pontiac g8 gt in white. I love my car as well as my friends. It's sporty stylish comfortable and great on gas even with all it's power! My boyfriend is a car/motor enthusiast and even he loves it! I tinted the windows and am getting new wheels and tires soon. I got a great luxury car for a great price! I can't say anything but good about these cars! I commute alot and for far distances so being in such a great comfortable reliable great on gas car is just one less thing I don't have to worry about :-)

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2008 Pontiac G8

Pontiac's timing in bringing a large, rear-wheel-drive sports sedan to market isn't great: gas prices are sky-high and the economy is heading south. Luckily for the retooling brand, the new G8 delivers driving excitement and good looks at a price reasonable enough that anyone in the market for such a sedan should give it a shot.

The Future of Pontiac
Pontiac's last full-size sedan was the Grand Prix, which can still be found on dealer lots as a 2008 model. The problem with the outgoing Grand Prix isn't just that it's big and heavy, it's that its power — whether from the anemic 200-horsepower V-6 or the 303-hp V-8 — goes to the front wheels. It's also antiquated inside, where it's awash... Read More