2000 Montana

2000 Pontiac Montana

2000 Pontiac Montana

3.3

Have you driven the 2000 Pontiac Montana?

Versatile Performer

by Minivan Man from Kansas City on Mon Jun 15 2009

This van does it all. From hauling big broods long distances to swallowing the largest load of cargo, our Pontiac Montana never encountered a challenge it could not meet. Comfortable seating for 7. The Captain's Chairs and leather are a must have for trips. The Pontiac performs better on the road than its GM counterparts because of the special sport suspension package available only on the Montana. It turns tighter and handles the corners better than other minivans we drove. The cabin is laid out well, with separate controls and air conditioning for rear passengers. And when you're not hauling people, popping out the seats for cargo is a breeze! Perhaps the one feature that turns heads the most is the built-in air compressor. When my brother-in-law had a flat, I simply pulled up next to him, hooked up the air hose to my car and his tire was inflated in no time. That blew him away. It's handy for things like that, but primarily is used with air shocks to provide a more comfortable ride. You can get a Honda Odyssey for $5,000 more and probably have a more reliable vehicle. In the end we had to ask ourselves, is this van going to cost us more than $5,000 in repairs? In 9 years, the answer is still no. We've done some repairs that we probably would not have had on a Honda, but not $5,000 worth to justify the difference in upfront costs. It's been a great perfomer for us. And if you take care of it, the Montana will take care of you.

Sadly saying goodbye to my Montana.

by shay from Kansas City MO on Wed May 07 2008

We bought this van 6 months ago and loved it. It drove like a car, takes good turns, great acceleration, good gas mileage, wonderful visual, comfortable seats, nice amount of space, and fun to drive. The only thing I really didn't like about it was it was fully loaded, and kind of ugly. I know i'm weird. With that being said here is the bad about this van. It has electrical problems. The electronic sliding door went out so now if we open it we have to do it manually. The gas gauge always reads full so we have to keep track of our mileage. The tale light sensor fried due to rain getting in through the back door. It was easilly fixed though, $6 at a junk yard. and the latest was the breaking of the drivers side windsheild wiper arm. Although my husband and I have loved our Montana, it now has 156K and it is time to trade it in. It has served us well and has never failed to start nor has it had any engine problems. All the other stuff to us (minus the windsheld wipers) is small potatoes. Our van was also missing 2 out of the 8 seats. We bought this van for $2,700 Not bad considering the only thing wrong w/ it when we bought it was the missing seats and the tale light. We bought this from an individual. We have never regreated buying this van even with all it's problems. It is both sad and hard to say goodbye to it. I have found that in all the other vans I've test drove I am losing visability! One of the things I loved most about my Montana. Tomorrow I'm test driving 2 Chevy Ventures (an 04' and 05'), let us hope they carry some of the things I loved most about my Montana.

Reliable as any friend

by Montana Owner from Cookeville, TN on Sun Apr 26 2009

I can't understand those who rate the Montana less than fantastic! We love our Montana! We are selling due to lack of space for the larger vehicle. I noticed one person mentioned the death of some electrical componants, but the side door also has a switch on the main pannel to turn it off for safety options. It may be that you let water into your electrical units, but that is not the manufacturers fault! No vehicle is going to be immune to misuse ! As I said, WE LOVE OUR MONTANA AND WOULD HOLD ITS VALUE TO ANY OTHER IN THE SAME CLASS!

Still loving the Montana

by Montana Momma from New Jersey on Tue Apr 27 2010

Great vehicle for the last 8 years. Bought it new in 2002 and had a problem with air conditioning 2 years ago. Cost 150 bucks and it is still working strong. I have 131,000 miles on it now and not looking to give it up except for the fact that I no longer need an 8 passenger van...kids are all grown and no more car pools...yea! I would defninitely buy it again. Very comfortable for handling a number of people with luggage. Gas mileage averaged 24 miles HW. Still in great condition. No problems with electrical.

I love this type of car..

by mrlucky5463 from Medford , WI on Sat Jan 20 2018

This vehicle fits all my needs.. I love this type of vehicle it fits everything I need when I need it and the performance of the vehicle too..

I have That one

by atla-cars from texas on Wed Sep 29 2010

I was Owner miniva, it's was great perform and comfort to all family, also to travel it is very safety, on the road and economic fuel

Will need lots of expensive repairs

by BigTom from Elkhorn NE on Mon Mar 26 2007

Very comfortable, many convenient features, but don't take it on any long trips. In less than 70,000 miles blew a head gasket, fuel guage broke, needed major brake repair every 20,000 to 25,000 miles, transmission problems.... you get the picture

Pay Attention!

by Crystal from Providence, RI on Fri Mar 14 2008

I own a 2000 Pontiac Montana its the extended version. It was a rental car before I bought it in 2002. It now has 135,000 miles in 2008. And I pay attention at all times while driving listening for any noises, lights, bells etc. No time to talk on the phone or listen to music because something could be wrong! In the first year I had it, the Head Gasket blew and it was a confirmed defect which I did get reimbersed. I think I replaced the battery once. OH yeah that reminds me...battery life is not good! You can not sit in your car with the engine off and listen to the radio for more than 5 minutes without the car going dead! Could be another defect but I always have to make sure everything is unplugged, off etc or I won't be going anywhere! I have had to replace the tires a few times, power steering fluid hose, hub assemblies, and now there is a wierd vibrating noise that could be the cause of any of the following (according to family with some mechanic knowledge): Engine Mount loose or missing, Tire out of balance, CV Joint, Alignment, a bad tire, no one knows! The mechanic I brought it to either, did not hear the noise that I am talking about, or simply has no idea what it is or could be. I just had to replace the water pump and if I am not constantly going 70mph and I'm at a red light for more than 3 minutes...or if i'm in traffic my car starts to over heat, until I put on the air conditioning...one guy (from a place where I changed my oil) said that I have 2 fans and one is not working? I don't know its like I can't keep up! After all that I have been able to keep it on the road until 2008, but you really have to baby this one along! It cries for your attention more than your kids! I enjoy the spaciousness and I also have a built in car seat that I used a lot when taking out my nieces and nephew. The look of the car is nice too. Definately would have to judge a book by its cover to like this one.

Comfortable but not reliable

by soccer mom from michigan on Wed Feb 28 2007

I had a problem with the head gasket and the whole engine was messed up!!! and heard of many other Montana owners with same problem!!!

by fred from largo fl on Sun Dec 10 2006

head gasket gone---no heat heat keeps fluxuating from hot too cold----temp gauge goes up no heat from heater temp goes back down then u get heat from heater??

1 2