2005 Vibe

2005 Pontiac Vibe

2005 Pontiac Vibe

Have You Driven the 2005 Pontiac Vibe?

Love 'em Both

by TonyO from Sunny South Shore of Lake Erie on Wed May 12 2010

Wife bought first one new in March 2005. Now has 0ver 50k. Has logged as high as 36 mpg at 70 mph through N and SC. Only repairs were a warranty brake booster replacement at 15K and thanks to road debris, a set of tires at 42 K. Replaced the original battery in Jan. 2010 at 49 K. Bought second one in June 2009, used. Price was almost the same as the first. Only cost to date, at 71k, is the regular oil change and tire rotation (basically, just like the first). Also have changed engine and cabin air filters on both. Both have the standard engine with the overdrive equipped automatic. As someone who has almost 40 years in the automotive industry, as mechanic, assembly line, engineering, Class A CDL with tank, tandem, and Hazmat certs, and nearly 2 decades of test driving, I am very happy with the package(s). Dependibility, heater in Northern Winters, AC in Southern Summers, room for myself, wife, son, daughter-in-law, and grandaughter. Fully adequate highway speed (regularly over 85 mph in traffic in a couple locations, never been over 94), good acceleration for passing and merging, even in the W VA hills, and handling and manueverability in traffic and for parking. Rear and side mirrors give great coverage, minimizing blind spots. Neither Vibe has ever tried diving for the berm or ditches when passing or being passed by heavy trucks on highways like some Imports I've driven. One of the most stable cars I've ever owned in heavy crosswinds. Very comfortable in a 600+ mile each way trip I take several times per year. With the back seat folded down, carrying capacity is up with some station wagons I've had. Love being able to fold down the passenger seat as well for carrying up to 8' boards. Some day I might look into getting the tow hitch installed to try the 1500 lb tow rating. I know neither Vibe seemed to notice up to 600 lb loads of topsoil and fertilizer in the back. Only (admittedly minor) irritations are that the red on black instruments a bit hard to read in daylight for me, and the location of the radio antenna, centered between the roof rack brackets, makes using the roof rack a bit awkward. I think I'll keep them both, for a long time.

Great in a roll over accident

by Pojangoz26 from Parker, CO on Sat Dec 27 2008

I must say I loved my car from the first moment I seen her, and still love her now that she's totaled. I had a 2005, Black Pontiac GT standard transmission, alloy wheels, CD player, just really enjoyed every moment. The car drove excellent, smooth, had comfortable seats in front and back, great car for hauling many types of items. Overall I plan on getting another one. This car handled very well in a roll over that rolled 3 times and slide, spun and landed on the driver's side(this happened on a dirt/ sandy road) No injuries, incurred. The car was pretty crumpled around the body and the frame stayed intact, only came down a few inches. Was still able to open all doors, buckled the roof of the car, front windshield smashed but intact. This accident was in the 40mph range, so I can't completely vouge for over that speed.

Best Bang for the Buck

by Hauler & Commuter from Martinsville, Indiana on Thu Mar 11 2010

I love this little car! Its got a Toyota engine and transmission so its reliable, but it costs much less! The mpg is good at 26/30 mpg highway. You can pack almost anything in this car. I moved an entire bedroom full of stuff, minus the bed, in one trip. With the seats that fold down its ideal for pet owners as well. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Best Car for the $$

by frugal from Clarksville TN on Sat Mar 28 2009

I bought the Vibe in 06 after doing considerable research. It is fuel efficient topping 42mpg Hiway at 60-65mph. Steering is crisp. Cargo compartment is generous. Accessing the driving compartment is easy. I must say that this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. I liked it so much I bought another one just like it in 09.

Good car

by hondoman45 from Riverton, Utah on Sun Jan 11 2015

Like most people who own this car, I am pleased with it. Like most, I have replaced the starter, but other that that, it has only required routine maintenance. It is a little noisier than the average car but makes up for it in comfort and utility. The car usually is driven about 75 mph on the highway and gets an average of 27 mpg. Mine is the base fwd and it does fine in the snow with good all season tires. It drives very well and goes straight down the road. No complaints here about anything on the car. It does have some blind spots so I've learned to always turn my head after checking the rear view mirrors. I think it has more space than my Prius and I use this car if there is any question about load size. This drivetrain has been around forever and will last forever with minimal maintenance. It is easy to work on as it is the same car mechanically as the Toyota Matrix. I would not hesitate to buy another should something happen to mine. Good car!

cheapest car to run I've ever owned

by busy working mom from Marion, MA on Sat Jul 07 2012

I could no longer afford the fuel bill on my Honda Pilot, but still wanted the features of an SUV (i.e. seats which fold down), and a roofrack so I can transport kayaks. This car does it all, at almost 1/3 the fuel cost! The hardest adjustment has been to manual windows and no automatic lock (so each door must be locked manually...) Otherwise it is perfect for my needs - which are many! I drive around all day long for work, then have two children and a dog, and a lot of sports activities. This car handles it all very well. A sports car it is not, but it is fun to drive, reliable and versatile.

My favorite ride by far

by Busy Mom from Napoleonville LA on Sat Jan 02 2016

I have a 2005 Vibe my husband and I purchased when we found out his job would require an hour and 15 min drive to and from work every day. His job has since changed. Now it is my car and I couldn't be more pleased! This little car has hauled 10-15 50lb sacks of feed once a week for the past year, fits my largest dog kennel, 8-10 ft 2x4's, and cement. It also goes through my muddy pasture with no problem. (my little dune buggy!) It has required very little maintenance other than routine stuff and the gas mileage is awesome! It has over 300,000 miles on it and my only pet peeve is that the odometer stopped at 299,999 miles. Really love this car and will be sad when it finally gives up. Will definitely consider purchasing a 2nd hand one.

Good basic car

by mom of 5 from Vermont, yet bought in Texas and drove home on Fri Apr 13 2012

We selected a Vibe because our son has a Toyota Matrix. The Vibe and Matrix are identical cars, built in the same plant from what our mechanic says. Our son has had 3 cross country trips for the army in his 2006 Matrix without any problems. So far the Vibe has performed well. Nothing too fancy, but reliable.

the only car ive had with 435 thousand miles on it

by the last traveling salesman from Middleburg Fla on Sat Sep 22 2012

my 20050pontiac vibe has over 435000 miles on it and still going strong. Ps its realy atoyota matrix.

2ZZ Heaven

by Capt. Bligh from Baytown, TX on Tue Feb 16 2016

I bought Buzzy Baby new in 2005. She's a GT, silver, w/ 17 inch wheels. I've got 178K miles on her, and the only time she's seen a mechanic is the airbag recall. Total repairs: heater box door actuator, $64, and a seat back spring, replaced from a junk yard. The car is a little rat racer in station wagon disguise. The Yamaha designed 2ZZ VVTL motor wakes up at about 3,500 rpm. The variable lift cam switches in at 6,200 rpm, then pulls hard to 8,2000 rpm. The clutch and 6 speed manual are light, quick, and smooth. Shift. Smile. Grab -2 with a double-clutch. Big Grin. You can have lots of fun with this car without going too fast or being obvious. Nicely weighted steering. There is some body roll in the corners when tossed (it is a baby SUV), and the inside front tire spins some when having fun. Part of the charm of the car. It is also a surprisingly good car for unpaved roads, as the long travel suspension doesn't bottom easily, and the ground clearance w/ 17's is good. The interior is Toyota Corolla/Matrix, and has withstood 178K quite well. Head room is excellent, and seats surprisingly comfortable (with a bit of tweaking).

1 2 3 4 5