2005 911

2005 Porsche 911

2005 Porsche 911

5 out of 5 stars Performance
5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2005 Porsche 911?

Outstanding Porsche 911 (997) Carrera Cabriolet

by emptymotte from Rhode Island on Thu Dec 27 2012

The Porsche 911 Carrera has always been a fun car. I owned a 1996 911 (993-series), which was the last of the air-cooled models. That was fast, fun... but a little hair-raising at its limits, especially in wet weather. The 997 series, which was introduced in 2005 and ran through 2012, is absolutely superb in almost every respect. True, the vehicles are expensive to buy, but compared to other "super cars," they represent superlative value for money. Mine is a rear-drive, 6-speed manual Cabriolet with 40,000 miles. It runs flawlessly, handles better than any car I've ever owned (28 of them altogether), accelerates like a rocket, has a slick 6-speed shifter and has proved to be as reliable as a Rolex. I recommend the 997-series Carerra (Coupe, Cabriolet or Targa) to anyone seeking the thrills of a beautfully balanced and exquisitely made driver's car, with the solidity and reliabililty of a any ol' regular German sedan. It truly is an impressive machine and is a wonderful sports car that can be driven almost every day... I only avoid driving it in the snow and ice. That would be tempting fate and I couldn't bear for its Arctic Silver Metallic paintwork to be marred by grit and salt. Every time I drive it, I smile like a total goon. EVERY TIME!

Most Reliable Car I've Owned

by Sports Car Enthusiast from Orlando, FL on Tue Feb 20 2007

I've owned Porsche since 1988. This has been the most thrilling, best handling Porsche yet. The 911 Carrera lives up to it's reputation in every respect. I found it to be comfortable and secure especially at higher speeds. It fits like a glove and puts a smile on your face.

Best sports car- Porsche 997

by Porsche enthusiast from OH on Wed Dec 07 2011

I will buy another Porsche in the future! I have owned a 911 for a few years now and just recently upgraded to 997. This is the kind of car that retains its beauty as it gets older. That is why the 911 styling is iconic. When one sees that car on the road whether it is old or new model it will continue attract attention on the roads! There is only one 911- past, present or future.

Check one more off the bucket list

by Porsche Fan from Los Angeles Ca on Thu Apr 03 2014

Owned a 2000 Boxster for the last 12 years and thought it was the greatest handling car I would ever own. 14 years old and only 21,000 miles. Never outside of a garage at night ever. But I decided it was time to get rid of the convertible and found this pristine 2005 S from a cars.com ad. The moment I saw it I was in love. Seal gray with Sand Beige interior. . Fast, Smooth, easier to drive than the Boxster. When I wake up in he middle of the night I scoot downstairs and peek to make sure it isn't a dream. Vroooom

2005 Carrera S by Techart

by Gerard Durand from Marlton NJ 08053 on Sat Dec 23 2017

Extremely fun to drive, inexpensive to own,and enjoyable to show in every car show.Upgrade nicely done by TECHART got me lots winning trophies.a 150,000 look for a fraction of the price get me plenty of attention.

Fun Car

by San Antonio DDS from San Antonio, Texas on Tue Apr 01 2014

I bought this car with 32,000 miles on it, and it is in pristine condition. It is very fun to drive. I will add a blue and IPhone connector as it does not come standard with year. Great value for the money I spent. Porsche make excellent cars.

The original, best sports car ever made!

by CoreyC2S from Vernon, CT on Thu Jul 06 2017

This is easily the best car I've ever owned, and I've owned nearly 30 sports cars over the past 15 years. I always admired Porsche from afar but never saw myself in one and never quite understood the hype. Then I got one, and it turned my standards for a perfect sports car upside down! There is no other car out there that has the overall package like a 911; near-supercar performance, razor-sharp handling, head-turning good looks, versatility, comfort and reliability. You can dress it up or down; it's classy or casual when you want it to be. It can go on long road trips or tear up twisty backroads. It is still modern-car fast even though it's nearly 13 years old. It's quiet until you mash the throttle. The ergonomics are virtually perfect and the no-nonsense cabin has just enough amenities to satisfy luxury car buyer and track rat alike. It's achingly good looks will never grow old. It's dog-gone reliable, in fact, the most reliable car I've owned in recent memory. And for under forty grand for all of this, you'd be insane not to buy one, at least for a little while! I honestly can't think of enough good things to say about the car. Go drive one, DRIVE ONE!

There really is no substitute . . .

by IndyGTO from Indianapolis, IN on Wed Sep 13 2017

Turbo S model - AWD twin turbo - fast is an understatement. You've always wanted one since you were a kid - dont wait any longer. Way too much fun not to drive at least once.

The most reliable and fun car I have ever owned!

by PorscheFan from Los Angeles, CA on Wed May 03 2017

The best handling sports car on the market. Timeless design that looks as good today as the first day it was driven off the lot. Very high quality craftsmanship and very reliable / inexpensive to maintain (for a car of this performance level).

Extremely dependable

by Ebob from Chicago, IL on Tue Mar 06 2018

Over 90,000 miles and has always started and run for me. Very quick and handles great. 20 miles per gallon in the city. Many compliments even after 13 years old.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2005 Porsche 911

One of the great regrets of my auto-reviewing career has been that I apparently instill fear in the good people at Porsche.

I know this because I rarely have had the opportunity to test drive the company's primo sports cars. Oh, sure, I've driven all versions of the Cayenne, but testing a Porsche sport-utility vehicle really doesn't count. To most motorists, Porsche equates to top-tier sports car fun.

Maybe the German automaker is still upset with me for frying the clutch on a Porsche 968. But gosh, that was years ago.

Imagine my surprise when I received a call to test a 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet. I tried to remain cool, but I was audibly salivating when I accepted the offer.

What showed up... Read More