2001 Porsche Boxster

Great Car - with an asterik

by from Michigan on October 28, 2010

2001 Porsche Boxster Base - Automatic The Good: Timeless styling. Can get with Automatic or manual transmission. Superb brakes, as close to perfect as they come. Razor sharp handling. Very good acceleration. Could always be faster. Certainly quick enough. Good ride on crummy Northern roads with standard suspension, considering this is a 2 seat Sports Car. "S" Model suspension can be trying. Two trunks. Top down motoring at its best. It's a Porsche! The Bad: Maintenance is expensive if taken to the Dealer. Secret is to use an Independent Porsche mechanic. Buy parts online. Be religious about maintenance. Do what your Indie says, not what Porsche recommends. The asterik: Potential for engine failure (1997-2008) due to intermediate shaft bearing breakdown, with no regard to mileage or use. Engine failure is bad and very expensive. New engine is likely. Precaution is to have bearing and seals changed with better bearing and seals, and do this every 50,000 miles. Also, change oil and filter every 3-5,000 miles. Bottom Line: The above potential problem does not stop people from buying these cars, because they are awesome to drive and enjoy. Used Boxsters are a great used car value and should always be considered when shopping for a used Sports Car.

The One-Two Punch Boxster

by from Great Falls VA USA on July 21, 2011

If you can, find a "garage queen"...they ARE out there. Many buyers baby there first Porsche and never drive it...then, the big bonus from the executive job kicks in and...there it is...a pristine vehicle in a time warp. This happened to me just last week. I was fortunate to find a 2001 Boxster with just 5,300 miles on it! Perfect condition, all service up to date and all records. Paid a bit more for this, but, I basically got a new vehicle. Be patient, there are more waiting to be found..and ENJOYED! The Boxster is a four wheeled sport bike (600cc class)..not the fastest on the road, but place her in the twisties, and you know that you spent your money right! My days of Corvettes are over..especially the trips to the dealerships. Porsche will treat you with respect and they get the job completed the first time, on time! A bit of a shock when the bill comes, but, hey, you are now in the big-boy's club. Keep in mind that some (less than 5%) have serious issues with bearings and output shafts...IF this or these issues have been corrected, you are good to go. Don't let this scare you away from an awesome machine. My Corvette Z06 sits and gathers dust just waiting for a new owner, the Ducati 999R gets it exercise now only on cool, comfortable days...the Boxster is now the vehicle of choice for me. NOTE: it's JUST a Boxster, not even an "S". Happy motoring.

Most Fun Car I Have Ever Owned

by from Louisville, KY on November 2, 2009

Driving in Tiptronic on a sunny day with the top down listening to the engine roar is next to heaven

GREAT CAR

by from Research Triangle Park NC on April 23, 2013

SHOPPED FOR A BOXTER FOR 4 MONTHS. PURCHASED PRIVATELY THROUGH LISTING ON CARS DOT COM. A lot of fun. Careful shopping online allows you to purchase worn interior items - i.e. armrests etc. My car is a manual - if there is a slight incline, I pull away from a stop in 2nd gear because 1st is a fast stump puller gear. Brakes are very strong. Previous owner had replaced convertible top - purchased a book from amazon that talked about boxster chop to extend life of rear window in the car. Better fuel economy than I expected and car does great on midgrade rather than premium. Clutch is heavy so be prepared.

The Boxster Will Cure a Mid-life Crisis

by from Charlotte, NC on July 26, 2007

I purchased a Boxster S with a 6-speed manual transmission to head off a mid-life crisis and am so glad I did. Driving a Boxster is almost like driving a large and refined go-kart. It handles exceptionally well with its wide rear tires and mid-engine design. When you "put the hammer down" you will take off quickly. Braking is solid. The gearbox is somewhat tight, so shifting gears should be done firmly. The Boxster is a thrill to drive! Boxsters are actually a great value when you consider they are made by Porsche, the same company that has won numerous races with incredible cars like the 917. You can purchase a nice used Boxster for about half the price of a comparable Porsche 911. The Boxster is a great choice as a second car for someone who wants to own a Porsche without spending too much money.

Fun little car

by from Oakley, CA on June 11, 2012

I purchased this 01 Boxster S to replace my old but true 89 325i vert. It has earned its rest with quarter million miles. I have never owned a Porsche but always wanted to. The Boxster was not my original choice, that being the 911 but I knew I couldn't afford that. I have been pleasantly surprised at the performance of the car. It has plenty of go and I find myself speeding all the time which doesn't help my gas mileage. I am using the car as my daily driver and so far, knock on wood, have had nothing but good times.

Great Sports Car

by from South Carolina on February 14, 2009

Excellent handling- like driving a confortable go cart with the curves it takes. Stops on a dime, and power pluhe "S" model. I love this car!

Driving is fun again

by from California on September 2, 2012

Most fun I've had driving a car in years. It handles exceptionally well. There is nothing like driving down the California coast with the top down!

Backroad Rocket

by from Louisville, KY on December 19, 2012

My Porsche Boxter S is an absolute hoot in the twisties, with handling unmatched by anything I've owned -- and I've had a few of them. The car has less wind noise in a convertable I've ever seen, although you do get a bit of road noise and engine noise. Your sitting right in front of the motor, but it still is remarkably quiet and comfortable. The ride is taught and controlled, the brakes are fantastic and the car sticks to the road like flypaper. It could use a little more legroom for my overweight frame and I'm getting a little old for getting in and out gracefully, but that's a small price to pay for such a wonderful toy.

Porsche Boxster

by from cambridge, mass on July 22, 2006

These cars are the best value on the road in terms of performance and price. Buying a used Boxster is an excellent choice. Instead of calling it Boxster they should call it riding on rails. The torqued up engine and interior is such a unique feel. Everyone enjoys riding in a porsche because it is so out of the norm. Don't recommend it as an every day car because it is simply not designed for it but appreciate it for what it is and that is why it makes an excellent used car purchase for those that have a bug for something out of the ordinary that is just fun!

Similar Models