2005 Porsche Boxster Consumer Reviews

4.5
Average based on 13 reviews

2005 Boxster S

by from Los Angeles CA on October 28, 2007

I bought my 05 Boxster S second hand, it had only 9K on it so it was quite unused... I have driven many cars before but definitely this car has very good handling and almost no body roll. It takes a while before you get used to the PSM taking over the controls though (you can turn it off with touch of a button). I had a stick shift and I must say this car asks to be driven with a stick :) The only thing is since it is 6 speed, 1st gear is quite short and I often myself do double shifting. The suspension, adjustable by your Porsche service guys if you dont like it, is hard and responsive. It makes it kinda bumpy to ride on uneven highways and roads. (this is why the comfort is 4 stars rather than 5). I have the bose stereo and CD changer thus you might think that sound system is quite good, not so fast, the quality of sound with bose is quite good but who owns CDs anymore and the car doesnt have direct jack to plug in your Ipod (solstice has one). I used one of those radio transmistters, the quality of the bose systems away and you end up turning it off. This is my main and biggest disappointment with the car (which is not end of the world but still). Reliability is almost perfect except the soft top and the wind blocker. I feel like wind blocker makes way too much noise for its worth. (I tested this on my friends car as well). But overall, once you have your first porsche you may not want to drive any other car EVER. My suggestion for POTENTIAL buyers is that go to a porsche dealer, get a test drive, if the car talks to you thats it since there is no gimmicks or hassles with porsches. PS: My previous cars were Renault Clio Opel Astra Honda Civic Corvette

2005 boxter s

by from los angeles on April 21, 2010

i have this car and i'm really happy with it its great preformance, good looking car, smooth ride, lots of power!

Porsche Boxster S

by from Rochester NY on December 19, 2011

Love it. great car to drive. you should buy 2005 and newer. also need to get the S. it very fast and fun too drive

Great Enthusiast Car

by from Philadelphia on September 28, 2006

Fast, stable and economical. Fun to drive. Turns heads. Solid and Safe. Not necessarily an everyday car, but the best weekend sports car on the planet. Two trunks fit lots of stuff. Two fairly large suitcases go easily in the front hatch. The back trunk is still as big as a Miata or Z-4. What good is a sports car if you can't use it for a weekend trip? This car could be a little more comfortable, with wider seats. But, doesn't every roadster have the same issue? With the top up, it is very quiet. And, little wind noise is heard when the top is down. It will be my first of several Boxsters.

Love IT, Love IT, Love IT !!!

by from Long Island, NY on January 10, 2013

This is my second Boxster. It is a gorgeous Midnight Blue. My first was a 986 Guards Red Boxster Base model, so when I drove the bigger and more powerful 987 second generation Boxster S, I was blown away. So much more luxurious on the interior, more muscular appearance on the outside, and power, let me say going from 225 horses to 280 horses can be felt in the seat of your pants. Things I love are the handling characteristics, the Bose stereo, the power, and it is fun to raise the spoiler manually at the traffic light. Lowering or raising the soft top is flawless and takes less than 10 seconds. Handling is actually better than the 911, due to the mid engine placement. No oversteer here. Brakes are right on a dime. The fuel economy is reasonable for such a hot car, and did I say power? lol. The downside is the cost of maintenance, ouch, so it is imperative to find a competent independent mechanic for the work you decide not to perform yourself. Everything is expensive at the dealer, including oil changes at $225+. Learn to work on the Porsche yourself, and minimize the money pit, and maximize the fun factor. Would I buy it again? Of course, I would, and I did. After all this is my 2nd Porsche Boxster. Buy one, you will love it.

the real truth

by from Kansas City, Mo. on May 29, 2014

I bought a 2005 base boxster in Jan. of 2014 from a dealer with only 33,000 miles on it, and the engine failed catastrophically 88 days later. It was always serviced at the dealer, had zero history of any red-lines, or any other signs of abuse and now its just a visual piece of art. Its no longer a car. I'm presently trying to get Porsche to make things right; but so far nothing. All you need to do is go to Google and call up Porsche engine or boxster engine and read the horror stories for yourself.

Fun, Fun, fun

by from Vincennes, IN on January 15, 2013

I have had lots of different cars, I usually have 3 or 4 at a time the the 987 is the most fun car I have ever driven on the street. It is very comfortable and has great options. The only thing I don't like it the key location.

So Far So Good!

by from Lawrence Kansas on August 14, 2014

Two weeks and counting. No problems so far to date. I took the car to the dealer that performed all of the service. I traded a Audi TT for the car. I did not spend one dime on the TT in 11 years. Just oil and regular maintenance stops. The car only has 50K miles on it. I thought the drive would be similar, but oh boy is all I can say. Very Fun Car to own and drive. :)

boxster S

by from Santa Monica, CA on January 31, 2010

this is my third one. Sold my second one via cars.com in August and had such sellers regret, replaced it in December

Great Fun

by from Alberta, Canada on November 21, 2011

To drive one is to believe :) Pure fun, nothing like I've ever driven before, the handling is supreme