Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2005 Boxster

2005 Porsche Boxster

2005 Porsche Boxster

5 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2005 Porsche Boxster?

2005 Boxster S

by Sebe from Los Angeles CA on Sun Oct 28 2007

I bought my 05 Boxster S second hand, it had only 9K on it so it was quite unused... I have driven many cars before but definitely this car has very good handling and almost no body roll. It takes a while before you get used to the PSM taking over the controls though (you can turn it off with touch of a button). I had a stick shift and I must say this car asks to be driven with a stick :) The only thing is since it is 6 speed, 1st gear is quite short and I often myself do double shifting. The suspension, adjustable by your Porsche service guys if you dont like it, is hard and responsive. It makes it kinda bumpy to ride on uneven highways and roads. (this is why the comfort is 4 stars rather than 5). I have the bose stereo and CD changer thus you might think that sound system is quite good, not so fast, the quality of sound with bose is quite good but who owns CDs anymore and the car doesnt have direct jack to plug in your Ipod (solstice has one). I used one of those radio transmistters, the quality of the bose systems away and you end up turning it off. This is my main and biggest disappointment with the car (which is not end of the world but still). Reliability is almost perfect except the soft top and the wind blocker. I feel like wind blocker makes way too much noise for its worth. (I tested this on my friends car as well). But overall, once you have your first porsche you may not want to drive any other car EVER. My suggestion for POTENTIAL buyers is that go to a porsche dealer, get a test drive, if the car talks to you thats it since there is no gimmicks or hassles with porsches. PS: My previous cars were Renault Clio Opel Astra Honda Civic Corvette

Love IT, Love IT, Love IT !!!

by SuperSteve from Long Island, NY on Thu Jan 10 2013

This is my second Boxster. It is a gorgeous Midnight Blue. My first was a 986 Guards Red Boxster Base model, so when I drove the bigger and more powerful 987 second generation Boxster S, I was blown away. So much more luxurious on the interior, more muscular appearance on the outside, and power, let me say going from 225 horses to 280 horses can be felt in the seat of your pants. Things I love are the handling characteristics, the Bose stereo, the power, and it is fun to raise the spoiler manually at the traffic light. Lowering or raising the soft top is flawless and takes less than 10 seconds. Handling is actually better than the 911, due to the mid engine placement. No oversteer here. Brakes are right on a dime. The fuel economy is reasonable for such a hot car, and did I say power? lol. The downside is the cost of maintenance, ouch, so it is imperative to find a competent independent mechanic for the work you decide not to perform yourself. Everything is expensive at the dealer, including oil changes at $225+. Learn to work on the Porsche yourself, and minimize the money pit, and maximize the fun factor. Would I buy it again? Of course, I would, and I did. After all this is my 2nd Porsche Boxster. Buy one, you will love it.

Great Enthusiast Car

by R.J. from Philadelphia on Thu Sep 28 2006

Fast, stable and economical. Fun to drive. Turns heads. Solid and Safe. Not necessarily an everyday car, but the best weekend sports car on the planet. Two trunks fit lots of stuff. Two fairly large suitcases go easily in the front hatch. The back trunk is still as big as a Miata or Z-4. What good is a sports car if you can't use it for a weekend trip? This car could be a little more comfortable, with wider seats. But, doesn't every roadster have the same issue? With the top up, it is very quiet. And, little wind noise is heard when the top is down. It will be my first of several Boxsters.

2005 boxter s

by melissa from los angeles on Wed Apr 21 2010

i have this car and i'm really happy with it its great preformance, good looking car, smooth ride, lots of power!

Does not recommend this car!!

Daily makes things difficult

by Cardo from Ponchatoula, LA on Tue Mar 07 2017

Owning a porsche has been a life dream to me and to most people. When we look at the boxsters they are truly great cars for a cheap price. Almost anyone in the market can afford to buy a used boxster, but maintaining it is where things get expensive. Expensive oil changes and brakes and the constant fear of what can and will break. With any getman vehicle they are not meant to last forever with out fault but thats just life and when you buy these cars you expect that. After about 5,000 dollars in repairs and 90,000 miles and counting my boxster continues to be a head turner to the unknowing eye. Dont expect comfortable ride, or the fastest thing on the streets, this car was never designed to be that. What you can expect is a great convertible that handles like a dream.

Does not recommend this car!!

Best Sports Car for the twisty roads

by SealGreyGhost from Madison, Wisconsin on Thu Jul 06 2017

I have owned the Boxster for 7 years. I have driven all the other sporty cars - Corvettes of all ages, Mustangs, Miatas, Honda 2000, BMW Z3. There is something to be said for all of them. In terms of balance though the Boxster has it nailed. The handling with its low center of gravity makes other cars seem ponderous. At the end of a day trip with occasional gusts into the triple digits, the fuel economy hovers around 30 mpg! That's how they win all those races. On the ownership side the only thing I did unscheduled was replace the water pump which is probably short lived from storing it winters. The tires don't last all that long on the rear, 10,000 miles is about the limit. The ride could be better but it is a sports car after all. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Just a great car

by Boxsterman on Tue Jul 11 2017

I drove this car back and forth to work for 4 years. I also took several road trips in my Boxster including up the California coast. The sound and handling of the car is just fantastic rowing through the gears with the top down on a great road is the best. This is a great alternative if you cant afford a brand new Porsche. However, there is higher then average maintenance and repair bills to consider. Also, be prepared for envious glances and other types of attention as you drive, especially with the top down.

Fun to Drive, No problems. Exceptional

by boxster from IL on Tue Oct 03 2017

It does what you expect from a Porsche. It feels powerful. It gets a lot of compliments. It's actually very reliable. 2005 was the year they became more reliable. That's why I bought this model. I have enjoyed it immensely.

So Far So Good!

by Gt7ball1 from Lawrence Kansas on Thu Aug 14 2014

Two weeks and counting. No problems so far to date. I took the car to the dealer that performed all of the service. I traded a Audi TT for the car. I did not spend one dime on the TT in 11 years. Just oil and regular maintenance stops. The car only has 50K miles on it. I thought the drive would be similar, but oh boy is all I can say. Very Fun Car to own and drive. :)

My Retirement Toy

by Slumberfox from Tunkhannock, Pa. on Wed Feb 05 2014

This Boxster S is Red exterior and Beige interior. The car had low mileage and is in excellent condition inside and out. I have had every good luck buying LOW Mileage used cars online. The six speed transmission is fun to drive and very responsive to the foot pedal. I cannot wait for Summer top down cruising.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2005 Porsche Boxster

On life's automotive menu, I'll always think of the 2005 Porsche Boxster S convertible as the New York strip steak. Stick with me here; it's going to make perfect sense.

When was the last time you were in a fancy restaurant and nearly gagged when you saw the filet mignon listed at $50? Although that is a prime cut of meat and perhaps exquisitely prepared, many of us simply cannot stand the thought of dropping half-a-hundred on a six-ounce portion of food.

And then you spot the New York strip steak for $30 - a comparative bargain, yet still providing a filling, delicious experience for the veteran steak eater. So it is with the Boxster S. It's not a $90,000 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet or a $440,000... Read More