2018 2500

2018 RAM 2500

Have You Driven the 2018 RAM 2500?

2018 2500 Cummins Tradesman

by BrianL from Florence, KY on Wed Jun 27 2018

I only have a little over 600 miles thus far on my 2018 2500 Cummins Tradesman. Having owned 1/2 ton trucks in the past I swore with my last one (2012 RAM) I would never buy a 1/2 ton again. Why you ask? 1- The resale on 1/2 tons are generally not very good. Conversely go look for a 3-5 year old 3/4 ton with a diesel in it with 100k miles and see what they sell for. Its ridiculous.... In a lot of cases for 6-8k more you can be driving a brand new one. 2- I don't haul a lot but upon reflection over the last 20 years of my life there have been about 20-30 occasions where I have had the need for something more capable than a 1/2 truck can deliver. In everyone of those cases I have had to borrow a buddy's diesel truck to get the job done. For the last 10 years I have had access to my neighbors 3500 Ram dually with the 5.9 Cummins in it. During that time I have had to borrow his truck on at least 12 occasions and every time I hand him back his keys I always walk away saying "Now THAT is a real truck!" Reason being, no matter how heavy of a load I had to pull I would forget there was even a trailer attached. And that truck had over 300k miles on it. When I started considering a new vehicle again this time the choice was obvious. I don't need the Cummins grunt much but when I do its nice to know I have it in my back pocket so to speak. Additionally, I am not someone who needs a lot of bells and whistle in my vehicle. The more stuff it has the more likely something is to break is my motto. I have always preferred a Spartan vehicle and so the Tradesman was a natural fit for me. I'm not a RAM fanboy although to this point you probably wouldn't know that. I did give the Ford F250 a look as well as the Chevy Duramax. There were things about both of them I liked but it the end it came down to the visceral sound and feel of the Cummins and the visual appeal of the Ram versus the Ford or Chevy. Additionally, in the case of both the Ford and the Chevy for their Spartan equivalents the price was another major consideration. I ended up getting the RAM for a fair bit cheaper than I could have gotten into either of the others. But as previously mentioned, the RAM/Cummins combination would have won with me if the prices were the same. With respect to this new 2018.... Its comfortable, love the style and I like how the interior is laid out. I have had a grin on my face for all 600 miles. I have had one occasion to pull with it thus far (About 13k lbs) and it is every bit as strong as my buddy's 3500 with the 5.9 and actually probably a bit stronger. (Both are stock) Having only had it for 600 miles its hard for me to say anything about the emission system one way or the other but what I have noticed is you can't smell the diesel exhaust when standing anywhere near the tailpipe... So there's that... I'm sure I'll probably eventually be bitten by the DEF system or a regen annoyance but for now no complaints. The only real issue I have is getting use to the size difference with this truck versus the 1500 I had previously. Its taller due to its beefier suspension (GET SIDESTEPS unless you are 6'7 or taller) and this is a crew cab with an 8' bed. Its turning radius is not as good as the 1500 obviously and parking this monster in a normal parking spot is all but impossible. So parking in the back of the lot has become a must. That aside, she is a big, bad, no nonsense workhorse and the love affair has just begun!

Very good heavy duty truck

by Johnrf from WICHITA, kansas on Fri Jan 05 2018

This truck meets my requirements and more I will be keeping it a long time it has a monster amount power to meet all demans

Dodge Ram beats Ford powerstroke

by RamFan from EAGLE, idaho on Sat May 05 2018

Price point is very affordable. I lock the coil springs for a comfort ride in y 2500. And the gooseneck hitch comes pre plummed for easy towing. I like that the trailer hookup is now inside the bed. Longhorn edition fits me perfect for my style

A Truly Well Engineered Truck

by The Wookie from Osawatomie, KS on Tue Mar 27 2018

Prior to making this purchase we had been reviewing Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge Heavy Duty pickups. It was a long ardeous process that finally led to our purchasing the Dodge RAM 2500. Ours is a Laramie version which included the Cumming Turbo Diesel Engine, Heated Leather Seats, Uconnect® 4C NAV with 8.4–Inch Display, Fifth Wheel Tow Prep, and a number of other smaller accessories that helped tick off all the boxes we were looking for in our truck. To start, it drives so smooth that you think you are in a high end car and it is very quiet. The inside is well fit out and has all the accessories that provide value. The seats are large and comfortable, the back seat area expansive and the sound system first rate. One of the options was a rear bed camera which is a big help when hooking up the fifth wheel. The power of the engine is great and what we have pulled to date has been done with no issues whatsoever. I can't say enough good about this vehicle and gave it 5 stars across the board. There may be issues as time goes on, but out of the gate I could not have asked for more. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Love my ram, my 3rd truck

by JamiePA on Fri Mar 02 2018

I have only owned this truck a week, but I have loved every minute of it. Smooth ride, excellent performance from the 6.7 diesel. My 3rd ram and I would do it again!

2018 Power Wagon first weeks experience

by Bubba from Pawleys Island SC on Sat Dec 02 2017

I looked for over two months at reviews for off roading capability and styling enhancements. My PW did not come with the badging and this is what I wanted. Performance is very crisp and the quality and fit is second to none. You just feel like a bad dude when you ride around in this vehicle. Lots of compliments everywhere i drive it. I was planning on building an off road truck from the ground up but the 35 spline axles and 11.5" ring gear with lockers made this an easy decision for me to make, Add the sway bar disconnect and the winch and you have one bad to the bone vehicle.

Does not recommend this car!!

I hope it the last truck I buy.

by Big Joe ortiz from Raleigh on Thu Nov 23 2017

I think this is the best big truck of the decade. The price is unbeatable, the comforts of the interior is off the charts and in my opinion power wise it is untouchable.

Worse truck I?ve owned

by Cowgirl from Tx on Sat Aug 11 2018

I had a 2017 Ram 6.4 and was really happy with it but the dealership offered me a great deal on trade in so I did. I?ve owned the 2018 and gotten to drive it twice. It now has a noise in the engine and I was told another came into the shop earlier and they had to replace the engine. I bought this one with 390 miles on it and it went to the shop with 540 miles. Not happy

Uses car for Towing

Does not recommend this car!!

Great truck!

by Willard from Campbell, Tx. on Thu Dec 07 2017

Although we have had our new truck just a few weeks, it is all and more of a great truck than we expected! We look forward to many happy and safe driving experiences in a truck that does all we need it to do.

Best truck I've owned to date

by Neo1130 from Rochester, WA on Tue Aug 07 2018

This may be one of my favorite vehicles I have owned. While it's not the best at what it does, it meets my needs and wants perfectly. I purchased the Power Wagon trim which has a lower payload and towing capacity than others in the 2500 line up but it's an off-road performer, not a work horse. The capabilities and options of this truck amaze me. You can off-road in comfort and style. Plenty of room for the kids to get comfortable on our long trips across county, towing our 26 foot travel trailer. The only complaint I have is the Goodyear Duratrac tires are on the low end as far as quality goes. I have had them on multiple Jeeps and they did well but on the Power Wagon, I am on my 3rd set in 2,000 miles as they cannot hold a balance. Dealer has been helpful in getting them warrantied.

1 2 3 4 5 6