1999 Saab 9 3

one of the best cars i've owned

by from on August 31, 2010

i had a 1999 Saab 93 and drove it for 260,00 miles then i sold it to a mechanic. i think he still drives it, great car.

The Best Car I've Owned

by from Indiana on September 3, 2009

The '99 Saab 9-3 is an all-around great car. With a turbocharged 4cylinder engine, Saab achieved the perfect balance of performance and fuel economy. Not to mention its rugged reliability. It'll do 0-60mph in less than 7 seconds, and if driven conservatively, will get 30+ mpg on the highway. The bottom line though is this car is just too much fun. The suspension is a tighter suspension than most cars (a little sloppy in my opinion, could be even tighter), yet still it manages to handle quite nicely. Sharp turns with the turbo boosting makes for a heck of a ride. As far as interior design, the 1999 9-3, being the earliest 9-3, is equipped with features GM later phased out. The hatch makes for superb storage and little gadgets like Weather Band radio come in handy more often that you'd think. The best part about owning this car though is the Saab community. The car is pretty easy to work on and there are many websites where other Saab owners post DIY repairs, which can really save you $$$ compared to the otherwise ridiculously high dealership prices. If maintained properly, the 9-3 should last for 300K miles. Overall, the 1999 9-3 has turned out to be the best car I've ever owned. I bought it having no knowledge about Saabs and have been very impressed with how well it's held up. I've owned Hondas (equal in reliability to Saab) and the Toyota Camry, which are all still very good cars, but none have been as fun to drive as a Saab. The 1999 9-3 was my first Saab, and I guarantee it's not going to be my last.

A Saab story

by from Minnesota on October 8, 2009

Love it or hate it. I choose love. We are the original owners and have done the scheduled maintenance, at least until we outgrew the owner's manaul. Now we go every 30-6ok. It is pushing 210k and is finally showing signs of wear and fatigue. For the past ten years, the acceleration and reliabilty were outstanding. We bought a new SAAB in 2006 thinking this one was going to go at 175k. Ended up replacing the clutch after the first teenager learned to drive. This was the biggest expense outside of brakes and tires, excepting the time the whole locking system was replaced when we lost both sets of keys. Great car for the snow and cold but the back seat is tight for the 6'+ guys in the family. The best vehicle investment we have ever made. I will miss it when it goes.

reliability, speed and style

by from Massachusetts on July 2, 2006

I have owned this car for approximately one year. When I first purchased it, my immediate speculation and concern was directed towards the reliability of the car and its winter driving (because of the convertible top). To my own surprise the convertible top has had little to no effect for winter driving. It is as if you are driving any hard top. However, once the good weather roles around and the top comes down it as an experience like no other. Convertible tops are NOT overrated! In terms of reliability, I have had no mechanical problems with this car at all ( knock on wood). There has been only a few petty things that have worn out that aren?t even worth mentioning. The reason I rated this car so highly is because it continues to be stylish and quick with little to no maintenance. (can you ask for more?)

Great Driving Experience

by from Miami on January 16, 2009

This is my first Saab and it is the most fun I've had driving a car, especially with the top down, the feeling of freedom is like nothing I've ever experienced before. This is not a cheap car and the maintenance can be high, but the good looks and the stability on the road is unsurpassed. If you're thinking of becoming a Saab owner, I highly encourage you to do so.

Quite an amazing vehicle

by from San Francisco Bay Area on June 6, 2013

Wifey bought it new before we had even met. So...I was all like "Saab, eh??" Drove it, loved it - it was only a couple of years old, very low mileage. She forked over a modest sum for an extended 100K warranty thru Saab. These warranties don't generally cover squat, but this one seemed to cover more than most. We had to have the dashboard taken off so they could re-do the cables for the heating/AC system...a whole bunch of stuff like that happened when we hit ~65-70K miles, but we didn't have to pay for anything other than the usual stuff (brakes, tires, oil changes). There have been a couple of leaks here and there, and we have 148K on the car now (in 2013) b/c we found a good Saab mechanic who really understands this car inside & out...so the avg maintenance $ over the last 5 years has been manageable. The drivetrain is indestructible! What this 14 year old Saab 9-3 lacks in updated technology features, it makes up for in terms of overall driving feel and performance, and it is still by and large a very safe vehicle and surprisingly stable vehicle. I think the suspension might be a tad tighter on this 9-3 for some reason. Anyway, great car in most ways, not for everyone, but when the books are closed on that late-90s era of vehicles, despite GM's increased meddling w/Saab, I do think the 9-3 will stand the test of time as a major standout.

99conv

by from on July 25, 2013

Minor issues, but to be expected in a 14 year old car. I wanted a 5-speed convertible for not a lot of money that can fit the wife and 2 kids, and now I have one!

If you can get one do it !!!

by from Pawtucket RI on July 29, 2014

I am the third owner of 99 9-3 convertible Got 195 on the clock so far Barring the turbo needing to be replaced - hence the 4 star on performance - it's quick once up to speed and passing is never an issue It strong - yes very pick and temperamental - getting the SID as we speak just like VW dash boards the connections for the SID are useless The car will let no know in more than one way what it needs - tune ups new DIC ( direct injector cassette) all easy to find and replace yourself ( 15 minute job at most ) Love this car - gonna do everything I can to keep it on the road !!!

Owned & loved this car

by from on November 29, 2009

I owned and loved the safety, handling and engineering of this car. Classically stylish. Lots of amenities most makers don't bother with.

Something to learn

by from Miami on August 24, 2006

I think this is an overlooked car, not everybody is familiarized with this brand and are usually not willing to pay a lot for it, but let me guarantee you that the performance is going to be better than most average car including those popular Japanese cars. My only bad comment is that the general design is nothing to brag about.

Our Expert Review: 1999 Saab 9 3