1999 Saab 9-3 Consumer Reviews

Change Year
1999 Saab 9 3
4.3
Average based on 15 reviews

one of the best cars i've owned

by from on August 31, 2010

i had a 1999 Saab 93 and drove it for 260,00 miles then i sold it to a mechanic. i think he still drives it, great car.

The Best Car I've Owned

by from Indiana on September 3, 2009

The '99 Saab 9-3 is an all-around great car. With a turbocharged 4cylinder engine, Saab achieved the perfect balance of performance and fuel economy. Not to mention its rugged reliability. It'll do 0-60mph in less than 7 seconds, and if driven conservatively, will get 30+ mpg on the highway. The bottom line though is this car is just too much fun. The suspension is a tighter suspension than most cars (a little sloppy in my opinion, could be even tighter), yet still it manages to handle quite nicely. Sharp turns with the turbo boosting makes for a heck of a ride. As far as interior design, the 1999 9-3, being the earliest 9-3, is equipped with features GM later phased out. The hatch makes for superb storage and little gadgets like Weather Band radio come in handy more often that you'd think. The best part about owning this car though is the Saab community. The car is pretty easy to work on and there are many websites where other Saab owners post DIY repairs, which can really save you $$$ compared to the otherwise ridiculously high dealership prices. If maintained properly, the 9-3 should last for 300K miles. Overall, the 1999 9-3 has turned out to be the best car I've ever owned. I bought it having no knowledge about Saabs and have been very impressed with how well it's held up. I've owned Hondas (equal in reliability to Saab) and the Toyota Camry, which are all still very good cars, but none have been as fun to drive as a Saab. The 1999 9-3 was my first Saab, and I guarantee it's not going to be my last.

A Saab story

by from Minnesota on October 8, 2009

Love it or hate it. I choose love. We are the original owners and have done the scheduled maintenance, at least until we outgrew the owner's manaul. Now we go every 30-6ok. It is pushing 210k and is finally showing signs of wear and fatigue. For the past ten years, the acceleration and reliabilty were outstanding. We bought a new SAAB in 2006 thinking this one was going to go at 175k. Ended up replacing the clutch after the first teenager learned to drive. This was the biggest expense outside of brakes and tires, excepting the time the whole locking system was replaced when we lost both sets of keys. Great car for the snow and cold but the back seat is tight for the 6'+ guys in the family. The best vehicle investment we have ever made. I will miss it when it goes.

Great Driving Experience

by from Miami on January 16, 2009

This is my first Saab and it is the most fun I've had driving a car, especially with the top down, the feeling of freedom is like nothing I've ever experienced before. This is not a cheap car and the maintenance can be high, but the good looks and the stability on the road is unsurpassed. If you're thinking of becoming a Saab owner, I highly encourage you to do so.

99 Saab

by from Atlanta, GA on January 29, 2010

This car has had, like most SAABs I have seen, a period of high maintenance around 75k miles. I expect another around 120K. Aside from this the car has been very relible, extremely confortable and more fun than average to drive. Lots of room inthe interior, but the hatch design limits what you can load. The car is easy to drive, a blast once the turbo builds and there are a lot of upgrade parts. Gas mileage has averaged around 22mpg, I expected better.

reliability, speed and style

by from Massachusetts on July 2, 2006

I have owned this car for approximately one year. When I first purchased it, my immediate speculation and concern was directed towards the reliability of the car and its winter driving (because of the convertible top). To my own surprise the convertible top has had little to no effect for winter driving. It is as if you are driving any hard top. However, once the good weather roles around and the top comes down it as an experience like no other. Convertible tops are NOT overrated! In terms of reliability, I have had no mechanical problems with this car at all ( knock on wood). There has been only a few petty things that have worn out that aren?t even worth mentioning. The reason I rated this car so highly is because it continues to be stylish and quick with little to no maintenance. (can you ask for more?)

I love My Saab, But its expensive to fix

by from Davis, Ca on February 7, 2008

I have owned my two door 1999 9-3 Hatchback for 5 years. I bought it used in fall 2002. I love the way this car drives and looks. Its fast and chic! Although it does get worse gas mileage than you would think, because of the turbo. It averages about 20 mpg overall. Now it has just over 106,000 miles and the little things have started to go wrong. The door locks are seizing up and the LCD display doesnt work on the stereo anymore. What I dislike the most about this is that all the parts are outrageously expensive! About what BMW or Mercedes parts cost. its also hard to find place that will work on Saabs. I would have gotten a four door, could I do it over, but I still would have bought this car. It is really fun to drive and I still get complements on how good it looks!

Owned & loved this car

by from on November 29, 2009

I owned and loved the safety, handling and engineering of this car. Classically stylish. Lots of amenities most makers don't bother with.

Quite an amazing vehicle

by from San Francisco Bay Area on June 6, 2013

Wifey bought it new before we had even met. So...I was all like "Saab, eh??" Drove it, loved it - it was only a couple of years old, very low mileage. She forked over a modest sum for an extended 100K warranty thru Saab. These warranties don't generally cover squat, but this one seemed to cover more than most. We had to have the dashboard taken off so they could re-do the cables for the heating/AC system...a whole bunch of stuff like that happened when we hit ~65-70K miles, but we didn't have to pay for anything other than the usual stuff (brakes, tires, oil changes). There have been a couple of leaks here and there, and we have 148K on the car now (in 2013) b/c we found a good Saab mechanic who really understands this car inside & out...so the avg maintenance $ over the last 5 years has been manageable. The drivetrain is indestructible! What this 14 year old Saab 9-3 lacks in updated technology features, it makes up for in terms of overall driving feel and performance, and it is still by and large a very safe vehicle and surprisingly stable vehicle. I think the suspension might be a tad tighter on this 9-3 for some reason. Anyway, great car in most ways, not for everyone, but when the books are closed on that late-90s era of vehicles, despite GM's increased meddling w/Saab, I do think the 9-3 will stand the test of time as a major standout.

99conv

by from on July 25, 2013

Minor issues, but to be expected in a 14 year old car. I wanted a 5-speed convertible for not a lot of money that can fit the wife and 2 kids, and now I have one!