2005 Ion

2005 Saturn Ion

2005 Saturn Ion

3.4

Have You Driven the 2005 Saturn Ion?

Good Little Car

by Spud from on Tue Nov 18 2008

Bought my Ion3 with 32k miles, mainly for the fuel economy. It averages 30 all-around. No mechanical problems at all, and no major complaints. The steering wheel is a reach and the seats are a little too firm and low, but typical for a car this size. Roominess and trunk size are better than expected, and the utility of the rear doors (I have the 4door coupe) is great!

Love/Hate Relationship

by Sad Saturn Owner from Texas on Tue Nov 25 2008

I have a 2005 Saturn Ion. I bought it new and started having problems right away. First of all, my car doesn't always let me have my key out of the ignition. It sort of locks up and won't let me have my key back. Saturn claims it isn't a problem with the car, but rather with my key. So I tried the spare key I had, no luck. I had a new key made and no luck there. When I took the car in, the repairmen claimed it never happened to them. Other than that, my biggest complain is that my car completely broke down at about 48,000 miles. I've already spent about $2200 on it and Saturn still can't tell me what's wrong with my car. It lurches when driving and has trouble shifting gears. Obviously, I'm quite upset that a car with less than 50,000 miles is already breaking down on me and needing extremely expensive repairs. Other than those problems, I really do like the ion. It's comfortable to sit in, the ac/heater are awesome, and it gets great fuel milage. However, the interior is ugly and cheap. It's not a bad car to drive at all but it's just buggy....it seems like every month, I'd have some weird problem with it. Once I had my breaks just give out. I pulled over to the side of the road, used my emergency break, and stopped the car. I tried driving it again and my breaks worked just fine and never did it again. I also had the cd player have weird issues. Also, a few times when I was driving, I had the car just die. When I'd try to start it up again, it was fine. Weird car....

A Great Value

by CT from San Diego, CA on Wed May 24 2006

I have a 2005 Saturn Ion sedan and I love it. I've owned it for almost a year now and I have had no problems with it. The vehicle has a great exterior design, is very modern looking, drives great, maneuvers well, has a huge trunk for a car its class, gets great gas mileage (its actual fuel efficiency is 22-23 mpg on the streets and 27-28 on the highways), and can really accelerate (I've done more than 100 mph in remote areas). The plastic-looking exterior panels is nearly dent-proof, which really helps in minor fender-benders. However, like all vehicles, it is vulnerable to scratches (i.e.: getting sideswiped, keyed, or hit by an opening car door). For many drivers, the main adjustment that needs to be made in the Saturn Ion is the location of the odometer and speedometer gauge (located in the center of the dashboard as opposed to behind the wheel). All in all, this car is a great value for your money. If you want something nice and basic, the Ion is it.

Meh

by Bee from Ewing, NJ on Mon Mar 12 2012

Sure, the Ion 2 quad-coupe looks really cool. The 2.2l ecotec has some surprising muscle for this little car. Heck, I was even able to tow a utility trailer with it. I put about 40K on it in a few years, finally trying to trade it in now in 2012. Problems? Galore. - Ignition column has been broken for years, as I've not wanted to spend hundreds of dollars but I have to press a button inside the column to release the key. - The power steering is ELECTRIC, which probably sounded like a cool idea at first, until it shorts out on you during a tight turn. It nearly killed me. - Sunroof stopped going back. Now it's a moon-roof. Woot. - If you don't blow pressurized air (or water) through the drain vents, the sunroof clogs easily on you and floods the cabin. - It had a ghost in the electrical system that took over a thousand bucks for a certified dealer to diagnose and fix in two visits. - Don't expect anyone over the age of 7 to be able to comfortable sit in the back seat--I mean the L shaped pieces of foam. I am 5'11, so perhaps not the best for this car, but still. I had to roll the seat all the way forward to fit anyone. But it looks cool. What a ridiculously designed GM car. The more features and electrical pieces it has just makes it more of a pain to fix and maintain. An over-complicated design is the sign of an inferior engineer.

Simple, but good car

by Nic from Hartford, WI on Tue Aug 07 2012

I've had my 2005 Saturn Ion for 4 years, bought it used with 36K miles. Haven't had too many problems. First problem was the anti-theft system right after I got it which wouldn't let me start the car for 10 minutes. This required a new ignition, under a $100 fix & hasn't acted up since. Had some issues with the windows coming off their track. Gets good gas mileage and gets me where I need to go. Current has just under 90K miles.

From Bad to Good

by Ion Man from Overland Park KS on Mon Sep 14 2009

I gave my Ion-2 an average reliability rating because if you average the terrible time I had while the car was in warranty (ignition, stereo, wheel bearings, window motor, replaced and a leaky sunroof) to having no problems from 36,000 to 62,000 miles -- I guess that would be "average" reliability. I do like the large up-front interior room, comfortable ride, and looks. So I'd recommend it (now)!

Been in for service 9 times in 22 months

by Abzug from Rochester, MN on Thu Feb 22 2007

It seems every couple months something in the front end goes wrong and I am without my car again for a whole day. It has been one thing after another, Front Bushings twice, Sway bar twice, ignition, gauges not working at all, the list goes on and on. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!!!

WOW!!!

by CarEXPERT from NewYork on Wed Aug 02 2006

Enjoy car more every day. The Saturn buying experience way surpasses the other car companies. No pressure, just friendly, helpful support. Saturn Ion has to be the best value on the market in terms of fuel economy, reliability, price and ride - Nothing else comes close. I have made the switch from SAAB for the forseeable future.

saturn ion ..run far run fast

by wayne ranger from new orleans on Thu May 18 2017

this automobile is a frustrating electrical nightmare.mechanics run when you pull a saturn ion into the shop.it's a 2005 saturn ion with 90,000 miles.bought it new and was the worst purchase of anything we have ever owned.

Saved my life

by wmrhinerson from Valico, FLorida on Thu Apr 13 2017

I lost this car in an accident back in July of 2016, and I wouldnt be here today if it hadnt. Great on gas, lots of space for larger people(I'm about 6") great first car. Only problem I ever had with this car was the AC, but that only didnt work when the car wasn't moving. If yo are looking for a good budget car i wouldnt recommend this car more. But parts can be a bit hard to find at a good price.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2005 Saturn Ion

It took Saturn about 15 years to discover the performance market, but the company's lack of experience didn't show with its successful Red Line series, consisting of the Ion Red Line and the Vue Red Line.

The Vue Red Line has a smooth Honda-built, 3.5-liter V-6 engine, and although it's quick, it isn't as performance-oriented as the Ion Red Line. That model, tested here, has a 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine with a supercharger that pumps out a potent 205 horsepower. Both Red Lines debuted as 2004 models and will continue with minor updates as 2006 models.

The Ion Red Line I drove is a 2005 model. It's considered a coupe but has Saturn's neat small rear doors that open clamshell-like, only when the... Read More