1997 SL

4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

My First Car

by Justneedacar from New Castle, De on July 3, 2009

I bought a 97 SL1 with 87K miles about 4 years ago as my first car and it runs great. I've only needed a few repairs which where not costly. Runs better then my friends brand new Kia Optima. Only downside - the upholstry on the ceiling shredded and the covers fell off the seatbelt clicker. Otherwise Icouldn't ask for a better deal.

Great Car

by College Student from Dallas, Tx on December 29, 2009

I bought a salvaged 97 Saturn over a year ago with 117k miles. I have added 20K miles to it and it still runs. I drove this car in MN in the coldest of weather. I even drove this junk from MN to Dallas, TX and it is still running. I have had a few problems with the car though. The oil seems to be leaking and I have to press the accelerator sometimes to start the car. But again I have a salvaged car and I am grateful that this car is still running. Is is a very good point A to B car especially for a college student. Great value for the money.

Good Car for the Price

by Satisfied Driver from Dallas, TX on January 15, 2010

I've had my Saturn SL2 for 8 years, purchased with 64,000 miles and now has 190,000 miles. I have had no major problems and very minimal repairs needed. It has never broken down on the road. I've driven it on several long distance trips. It's good on gas mileage and very dependable. My only complaint would be the road noise. It is not a quiet car inside. After 190,000 miles the power locks and windows no longer work right and the ceiling upholstery is falling apart. Otherwise, a good car.

Best New car I've owned

by Saturn fan from Lower Alabama on the bay on September 6, 2009

I have owned this for 12 years (bought new). It fits my needs perfectly. I kept the oil clean and full and it doesn't burn any. Simply reliable. Has needed no major repairs in 12 years and 125,000 miles. The polymer body panels are a plus. Too bad Saturn doesn't make these any more! I plan to keep it forever. Oh yeah, it's easy to repair too.

Most reliable car for me so far.

by Max from LI, NY on March 19, 2010

I bought this car already with 100,000 miles. Now it has 170,000 and I don?t have any major repairs, but had the clutch replaced when I got it. My son has been learning to drive stick and it still last. The only the major problem with Saturn is the cooling system. The cooling fan runs late. I had the sensor replaced, but still no luck. My mechanic told me that it is a common problem with this year cars. Over all is really reliable car. Never left me on the road and never been towed.

Pretty Darn Good

by Johnny Hurryup from Tafton Pa. on January 30, 2012

Bought this car for my daughter over 6 years ago, with 98,000 miles...It now has over 178,000 miles. Other than minor problems like battery, water pump. belt tensioner brakes and tires it's like a Timex watch....takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'

Best Car Ever Built

by Danno from Denver, CO on March 10, 2009

My family has owned this car over 6 years. It has been handed off 3 times now, each time the giver says, "Just drive it til the wheels fall off then take the tax write-off." It now has over 200,000 miles on it and apart from tires, brakes and oil it has only had an alternator, starter and battery replaced and it is still running the same as it was the day it was purchased. The oil has often gone 10,000 miles without a change (not reccomended due to common ring problems) but there is hardly an issue with this car. This car has been wrecked twice, stolen once and driven as though it were stolen daily and it still runs. It drives like a go cart with amazing handling for the class that it is in, has great acceleration and a decent ride compared to pretty much anything in it's class in 1997. All of that said, if you can pick up a date in this car it's because they like you, not your car. Don't try and look cool in it, just know that you're smart for getting it.

Owned for 12 years

by AVS from on March 12, 2009

Owned this car since buying it new. Very reliable, easy to drive, low maintenance. Roomy for a compact car with good trunk space and handy foward folding back seats. Easy to read, basic instruments. Excellent gas mileage in the city and highway (avg mid 30's for highway driving). Smallish fuel tank with 300 mile range on average per tank of gas. Small rattles that change with the season, moderate road noise, otherwise great car. Sold my first Saturn to my sister who finally sold it with over 200k miles. Love the plastic panels that don't dent!

Most Efficient Car I have found for my money

by Bub from Jackson, MS. on February 7, 2007

I had always wanted a Toyota or Nissan car that would do good on gas but when I got to checking prices I couldn't see that I could save any money. That is when Saturn caught my eye. I ventured out and bought my "97 SL2 and have fallen in love with it. Thanks to Saturn for making a reliable, affordable, economical car.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by DanCDN from Hamilton, ON Canada on February 10, 2017

This car is so great! Everything from the self adjusting steel timing chain, to the polymer side panels are features we can all appreciate. I prefer the 5 speed over the automatic due to better performance, better gas mileage and it's more fun to drive. I'm still wowed by how economical these cars are, especially for the how long ago they were produced. You NeVeR, eVeR have to be concerned about reliability, we have never had a break down and we have taken it on so many road trips. It's a real shame that they don't make these anymore, they'd have my loyalty for life.

1 2 3