2011 xB

2011 Scion xB

2011 Scion xB

4.4

Have you driven the 2011 Scion xB?

Driving my scion for 3 months

by hip mamma from CA on Wed Jun 09 2010

I bought my Scion XB about 3 months ago (base model, manual trans) and so far I like it. I use it for commuting to work, driving around town, and an occasional family trip. Lots of room in the back seat for my son's long legs. That's the main reason I purchased the Scion over other options. Overall, I don't think you can get a better wagon style car than the XB for the price. I can fit an adult sized bike in the back with all of the seats down (a bike will also fit on the floor of the back seat, but we stopped doing that because one of the handle bars torn a small hole in the upholstery). In the cargo area with all of the seats up, there is plenty of room for my 70 pound dog to stand up, lay down, and turn around. Enough room for a warehouse store run too. If you ever have a need to sleep in your car, two adults can stretch out fairly well. No comfort issues with the front seat -- the arm rest looks lame, but it does support on longer drives. Lots of holders in the front for cell phones, door openers etc. Sound system: I like the usb port, you can play music from your ipod, mp3, or even a flash drive. With a touch of one button, you can easily switch modes from cd to radio to usb. Other controls: some reviews criticized the location of the controls, but it?s not a big deal. There are two overhead map lights in the front, in addition to the standard interior light. You can also program the dash board to display a message of your choice. The default message is "scion" (how surprising) -- it comes on when you turn the engine over. I can execute a u-turn in the middle of the street, parking is pretty easy. The biggest problem is the gas mileage. My 1998 Corolla with 170k miles still gets 33 mpg city/freeway combined. Some posts that I read indicated that the XB can get higher mpg than what's posted, but I haven't seen it so far. It costs about $30 to fill up. I commute 26 miles a day for work --a tank will usually last a week, plus a few days. I drove from my house to SF (85 miles) on a little over a quarter of a tank, so it's not awful, but Toyota could have done better. No problem with hills. The black carpet always looks dirty. And, it took me a couple of tries to figure out how to set the trip odometer. Buying experience -- No . Since you can't bargain, I insisted on a metallic blue. This required finding a trade and the staff were a little frustrated, but hey... There is a $1k rebate available if you earned a degree within the last 2 years (I just got my masters). To take advantage, you have to bring a copy of your diploma and finance in house. A rebate is also available for military. If you have the time you can custom order, have the top white and the rest of the car blue, etc. I didn't understand this from the info available on-line. One weird thing is that you can only be assisted by a "certified" scion salesperson -- so you may have to wait. I got a lot of pressure to buy a security system and other junk from the finance guy, but I resisted. Be strong. It?s funny, the XB is marketed to people in their twenties, but most of people I see driving the car are women in their 40s. The younger drivers seem to like the XC. When I purchased my XB, there were two young college grads ordering XC's with their parents.

Scionista, take three

by Just call me Scionista! from Mississippi on Fri Jan 14 2011

We just purchase our third Scion Xb! After thoroughly researching just about every car, the Scion Xb once again was not only the best bang for the buck, but continues to be the most functional, safe and fun car out there! The 2011 Xb has been tweaked a little with a few minor improvements both on the exterior and interior. The exterior looks about the same as the 2008 to 2010 models, but is now more balanced and looking. There are also a couple of new colors, one weird flesh shade of army tan and another annoying voodoo blue (the voodoo blue is thankfully some special limited edition.) On the inside the Xb has gotten better. The seats have gotten an upgrade, a little more substantially built and are more comfortable. The new swirly patterned seat fabric though nicer is still a study in gray, but feels more durable. The redesigned front seat center console now doubles as a driver's arm rest, a big improvement over the flimsy, floppy mini driver's arm rest in the 2008 to 2010 models. The center focused dashboard has evolved but not moved and remains an ode to the form and functionality of gray plastic and silver paint. The centered dash display has never been an issue to me and now has a fourth dial dedicated to time and outside temp. The actual display colors have changed a bit. The steering wheel has added an additional adjustable angle. The car's cabin is still roomy and packed with standard features that other cars make you pay extra for - a more than decent pioneer sound system, power windows & locks, cruise control, lots of cup holders and lots of black carpet. Even the handy storage bins under the back seats are now carpeted. The mpg I have gotten with the 2011 is in the upper 20s, not great, but not in the awful gas guzzler range. My dream woud be an Xb hybrid! Safety is the top selling point for me. The Xb continues to pack them in. Airbags galore, super safety ratings... And I can unfortunately and thankfully vouch for the effectiveness of the many safety features of both the 2009 Xb and the 2010 Xb having been "t-boned" in MVAs in both and though the cars were totaled, no injuries! Either the Xb is the unluckiest car or the safest. Hopefully the Xb 2011 will prove my hunch that it is the safest! The beauty and the burden of the whole Scion line is that there are no real options or trim packages. What you see is what you get for the price posted. I love what I get. The world of after market customization is out there and touted as a selling point so if you want leather seats and or faux/real wood dash you can have them. But for 18k, you get a solid, really safe and sound car with just enough bells and whistles. I am dumbfounded why the roads are not crowded with Scions!

I got the car I wanted!

by A New Scionic! from Houston, TX on Sun Jan 23 2011

I love its handling in tight corners, it's zippy pick up and it's roominess. If your looking for an alternative to a bulky SUV the xB is our answer. The first 1000 miles the car is adjusting it mpg's but after that the gas mileage is great. It's cute, sporty and handles great! I love the roominess, did I say that already? It easily and comfortably seats 5. The 2 yr free scheduled maintenance doesn't hurt either! Just wish Scion would allow negociating the price. That's my nly complaint.

Awesome Courier Vehicle!

by Mr Mustang from Amarillo, TX on Wed Jul 20 2011

I am a Medical Courier for a large Hospital and received my new 2011 Scion xB 2 weeks ago. I was very scepticle at first, but after my first drive I was hooked! I love it. It is loaded with power everything, an Alpine stereo and aluminum wheels. It definitley turns heads as I drive around town. The exterior styling is much more refined then the previous models I have seen. The car has plenty of power and excellent brakes. The Alpine stereo system sounds incredible and even comes with a cable and holder for connecting my iPhone to it! I love that there is also a set of radio controls located on the steering wheel. It took a little getting used to the "dash" located in the center and no gages except a sppedometer. The interior room is amazing, especially with the back seats folded down. I haul 15 - 20 boxes of supplies at a time with no problems. Overall I think this is the perfect vehicle for my job. It has a great A/C, plenty of power and performance, great looks and excellent gas milage, all at a very reasonable price. I am thinking about buying one for my daughter next year when she starts driving. Today I surpassed 2000 miles with zero maintenace problems. Highly recommend this vehicle.

2011 Scion xB RS 8.0 VOODOO BLUE

by Anthony from Elgin, IL on Tue May 24 2011

I just bought my scion about a month ago. I love it!! It is the coolest car I have ever had. I can't believe how spacious it is on the inside. It rides great and is even fun to drive. I would defintily reccomend it to anyone looking for an affordable, versitle, and reliable car. It is great to see the look on people's face when they see it. Also, no matter how you drive the car it always gets over 30mpg even in the city.

Pleasantly Surprised

by Guy Smiley from Tempe, AZ on Mon Mar 19 2012

OK, I'll be honest. The Scion Xb was NOT on my list of dream cars. I drive tons of miles each year for work and it didn't make sense to invest big money in a vehicle. Fuel economy was critical due to gas prices and mileage driven, AND with a business and family I also needed space and utility. I am also 6 feet 4 inches tall and comfort was also imperative. There simply wasn't anything else out there I could find in the sub-$20k price range that offered all of the features, reliability, and fuel economy of the Scion Xb. Now that I own one I can say that I made a great choice. The car drives like a go kart. Yes, that is a good thing. It is quick, responsive, and extremely reliable. Seats are fairly comfortable and supportive and there is plenty of room for the family! It is by no means a Lexus or BMW, but it is paid for and has one of the best reliability ratings by all manufacturers.

Love it!

by Frank from Hawaii on Tue Sep 06 2011

Bought in January, driven daily for commute to\from work, mostly highway. Get about 30\31 mpg, higher than rated. ROOMY, comfortable, stylish and economical. My daughter loves the room as she can invite lots of friends for dad to pickup and they won't be squashed like my last car. Only extras I got were the rear spoiler, Rear Bumper Protector, interior rugs and the 19" alloy rims in gunmetal. Only reason I gave it a 4 in Value for money is they need more options available at a more reasonable price.

best car for your money

by imnuts from Regina, Saskatchewan on Fri Feb 10 2012

first Scion i have owned and would be another for sure. Best over value for your money.very roomy interior especially the back seat. very comfortable to drive and also has a very peppy motor, great for passing.

Not a bad buy overall

by James from Cincinnati, OH on Sun Jul 15 2012

2011 XB currently has 46k miles on it. Cons: Interior plastic used on the dash, doors, etc is the cheapest I?ve ever seen and I?ve owned a lot of cars. With no exaggeration, I can scratch my dash with my fingernail without even trying. Very disappointed with this. Back hatch has a rattle to it started around 10k miles. Rear seats are hard to latch in the up position. Front seats are hard to get to slide forward and back. City mpg is 21-22, average is 23-24, full on 100% highway is 27 with full synthetic oil and fully inflated tires. There is an established problem with the engines burning oil. I got a good one but I know someone who needs to add 1 quart of oil every 2500 miles on a new car. The front tires wear really bad on the edges where the side wall turn into the part that touches the road. There are no alignment problems and both of the other guys I know that has this car (2008 and 2010) both have the same tire wear problem. Front paint chips supper easy so get a protective film for it. Cloth seats are nearly impossible to clean dog hair from. Spent 4 hours picking hair 1 by 1 from my back seat after having a dog in there 1 time. Vacuum and dog hair roller were no help a all. Although lots of passenger room there is little room in the back for things About 6 cubic feet to the window line. Half that of my civic sedans trunk. Stiff ride, I feel the bumps on the highway no matter how small they are. 4 Speed transmission runs at very high rmp at 70mph. There is NO OVERDIRIVE, despite cars.com specs. Pros: Lots of leg room in front and rear. Radio sounds good. Runs smooth. Somewhat peppy at the takeoff. Little body roll but handles ok overall. New car price is cheap compared to similar vehicles in the market. 2.4L is the same used in the Camry. No mechanical problems thus far at 46k Overall not a bad buy if you can find a way to not scratch up the interior.

Scion xb

by rms20001 from Iowa on Tue Feb 21 2017

Recommended for short drivers. Easy to step into. Lots of head room. Made of plastic like material. Great mileage. I totaled mine and I walked away. Seatbelt always.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2011 Scion xB

Like many aging trendsetters — Madonna comes to mind — the Scion xB has had a few tweaks for 2011 and arrives on the market with a restyled exterior and some new features on the inside. Since much of the xB's competition didn't exist when it first entered the market, it was able to rely on its hip-to-be-square looks almost exclusively. Now, the xB competes against the Kia Soul and those rapping hamsters and the Nissan Cube with its quirky/cool raccoon face.

The 2011 model delivers with changes that are subtle yet edgy on the outside and a few new features that add to the interior's comfort and cool factor. The xB's exterior gets new taillights and headlights, restyled front and rear... Read More