NEW
Take our quiz & meet the car you’ll love.
2006 B9 Tribeca

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca

2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca?

Perfect for my family

by Elijah from Washington on Sat Jun 09 2012

This is my first Subaru, and I purchased it with 9k mi on it and it was less than a year old. It now has 75,000 and I have enjoyed this SUV for 5.5yrs of owning it. I plan to keep it for many more years. When I was shopping around for a family medium size SUV, I was looking for safe AWD vehicle, the option of 3rd row seating and best fuel economy. Subaru came on top for my needs and I am glad I made the choice to get the Tribeca. Performance of this sport/luxury SUV is very good, and handling on dry, wet and snow is awesome for its size. My original tires lasted for 64k mi and they were pretty good overall but lacked a little grip on snowy/icy roads. I replaced them with Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza (in original size-255/55/18) and it performs much better in wet/snow/icy conditions. Subaru Symmetrical AWD system is one of the best on the market and they have been improving it for over 20yrs now. Tribeca’s AWD system is set up to deliver power to: 55% rear/45% front, that is for a little sportier feel. It will instantly send power to any wheel/wheels that has traction. It is one of very few true AWD systems that can send power to only one wheel. (see videos on Youtube for Subaru AWD vs. others) Unlike Toyota and Honda, front based awd system that send about 10% to rear wheels and is unable to send all power to one wheel if needed. I like the 3-rd row seat and it works great for my children when needed. A little more room in the cargo area behind 3-rd row wouldn’t hurt, but I have seen the my friends New/larger Toyota Highlander and Hyundai Veracruz and they both equal or less cargo room behind 3-rd row. (they have a little more leg-room between rows, but that’s not an issue for my family) If you are planning to use the 3rd row for older kids or adults, you might want to look elsewhere until Subaru redesigns the Tribeca As far as for MPG, I have been averaging 20-21 mpg. On highway only have gotten over 25mpg when speeds are 55mph and 23mpg when going 75mph. I am very satisfied with this Subaru and hope this review helps.

review

by Joe from on Thu Nov 13 2008

I had my Tribeca for 3 years, but recently gave it up for a vehicle with more towing capacity. This was our third Subaru, but I found it to be somewhat pricey for what you get. Performance was lackluster, and I was constantly wishing I had more horsepower. It tends to hunt for an appropriate gear when accelerating, but using the sport feature helps to mitigate this problem. The navigation system worked well. Service tended to be expensive. Although the seats were infinitely adjustable, they made my back hurt on long road trips.

Once a Subaru owner, always a Subaru owner

by Sierra Moutains we call Home from Tahoe Paradise, CA. on Wed Jan 24 2007

The B9 Tribeca is our second Subaru, our first was a Loyal wagon and that little wagon could go where my big american 4x4 couldn't after a big snow storm. We looked at all of the SUV's on the market and it didn't take us long to decide on another Subaru. Safety, reliabilty and it's performance in the snow and ice far out do those fancy suv's costing thousands more. The B9 Tribeca gives you more bang for the buck than any other SUV out on the market today. For myself I just had to get past the looks of the head light design... they were different, but the wife loved them, the interior is stylish and user friendly. Next time you find yourself in a mountain community were it can snow up to forty feet a year, just look around and see what the local folks are driving...Subaru's! Does that answer your question?

The most reliable SUV I have ever owned

by JR from SC on Sat Dec 09 2006

I have owned several different SUV'S ranging from domestics to foreign made but the Tribeca is the best one in areas of comfort, safety and reliability that I have ever owned. I have only taken it back to the dealership for regular maintenance. I have owned it now for 14 month and am very pleased and will purchase another one when it's time.

Be different

by Road Trip Family from Tacoma, Washington on Tue Feb 05 2013

Be prepared to have people disagree with your cars appearance. We love the styling, the interior looks and feels great and having the flexability to seat seven is great. If you don't need that extra capacity then look for the five seater, as the back is tight when all seats are up. Its a little down on power but it handles very well and stays nice and flat in the corners.

Great car

by Martin from Monroe, NY on Fri Aug 25 2006

Excellent amenities and safety features. This car is intended for the safe conscious. It offers comfortable wheels with life insurance on the side. On turns rides like a sedan, grips the road like a cat, looks odd but sexy, and speeds nicely with a rev-up. Prices wise compares very well to its peers like Lexus 330 or Nisssan Murano. I even met an Infiniti FX35 owner that now regrets he didn't buy this baby.

outstanding car for hockey traveler

by don from jackson,nj on Sat Jul 15 2017

this car took us all over the country never a problem..Fun to drive, very comfortable and reliable.. held up very well.... 240,000 miles

Very dependable, drivable vehicle, LOVE IT!

by LT from SV, CA on Mon Apr 23 2018

This has been a trouble free vehicle for 140,000 miles and still going strong. Subaru vehicles are great AWD vehicles especially where there is snow. Highly recommend Subaru!

Perfect family suv

by ErickPA from Whitehallp.a. on Sat Nov 03 2018

Perfect family car. Great on the snow. All wheel drive. Navigation system. Dvd system in the back. And is a 7 passenger SUV. And is a Subaru. Last for ever

Most trust worthy car I ever owned.

by Great Car from Stanwood on Thu Nov 01 2018

This was a great car. We visited many places with this car. We really enjoyed having this car. It never let us down. We liked the navigation feature.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2006 Subaru B9 Tribeca

Late to the sport-utility-vehicle party with its B9 Tribeca, Subaru brings no innovation to the category, but the company took the right approach in terms of the vehicle's size, construction and . . . Subaru-ness.

The five- or seven-seat vehicle is car-based, or has unibody construction, and it's relatively lightweight and space-efficient. Compare this to the Volkswagen Touareg, another latecomer, which is sized and priced in the same ballpark but was designed for full offroad capability. This makes for higher weight and lower fuel economy. It also seems to rob the Touareg of some of the additional interior space that is usually a strong point of unibody vehicles compared to truck-based, body-on-frame SUVs.

In this... Read More