Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2006 Baja

2006 Subaru Baja

2006 Subaru Baja

Have You Driven the 2006 Subaru Baja?

My Dream Car

by Subie Groupie from Kansas on Thu Jan 04 2007

When I found out 2006 would be the final model year for the Baja, I was crushed. I'd finally found my dream car and wouldn't you know, it was being discontinued! My husband had our 2003 Baja at the dealership for routine service and saw a blue 2006 there. Sigh. What to do, what to do? Externally, there was no difference between the shape of the two cars. But inside, the 2006 was even more fabulous than our 2003. Vinyl door panels rather than velour--much better for dog-owning Midwesterners who have lots of snow, ice, and mud in the forecast! The seats (also vinyl, but with a tweedy seat surface) have even cushier, snugger lumbar support. We caved and bought the Bluebaru. Quite simply, this is my dream car--powerful enough without being ridiculous, handles like a dream, looks great, quiet, nice stereo. (Subaru loads its cars so the moonroof is standard.) Now that it's discontinued, I'll be driving it a LOOOONG time. Because the Baja is a niche ride, the owners are a bit culty. We always receive a cheerful wave when we meet another Baja on the road, and it seems there are more of them in town each month.

Will never let you down!

by Sandy from Morgantown, WV on Fri Oct 06 2006

I'm a loyal Subaru owner, and the Baja hasn't let me down. It's a small truck, with seating for five, which is great if you don't want a large pickup. Subaru has really outdone themselves...Hopefully, they will start making them again, so I can trade it in for a new one when I'm ready.

My first SUV that didn't look like one!

by Former Jeep Chick from Helix, OR on Mon Dec 13 2010

I love the mix of station wagon and pickup truck. It reminds me of the El Camino I always wanted, but it runs better and is AWD. Already the AWD has gotten me though some nast weather! The back is great as I live on a small hobby farm and can haul smaller farm items without needing a large (and gas sucking) pickup. I also love the outdoors, so gear fits great in the back! The only problem I've encountered is a touchy front headlight that keeps going out. I've heard this is a common issue with Subarus. Overall, love the zippy little thing. I've been driving Jeep Wagoneers and Cherokees, so while I'm still getting used to the lower seat, I'm enjoying the better gas mileage!

baja

by stubby from rock springs wy on Sun May 26 2013

this is the second one we have had she hit a bridge with the last one totaled it bought this one 2 months later and its just as good as the last one you can haul 4 people and a small amount of cargo nothing large or heavy remember to change timeing belt and radiator /water pump/t stat every 100,000 miles and it will go 300k or more the early ones had head gasket problems if you can see if it has been done if not have it done tune ups at 100k and if your year has the fuel filter under the hood change it twice a year

Bring back the Baja!

by Blue Baja from Wny on Tue Feb 10 2009

Just like Subie groupie, we had an 03 Baja. We hung on to it longer, just trading it in 09 for a used 06 with low miles. We just couldn't find anything else that was as useful and comfortable (not to mention safe) as the Baja. If SOA advertised them, they would have sold a ton! They are great off road, can haul all sorts of home improvement and gardening items, are amazing in the snow (who needs to shovel?) and have very unique looks. If I had to describe the Baja in 3 words or less, it would be Swiss Army Knife! I wish they had offered heated seats and the hard tonneau on more than the Baja turbo with leather, but even without those options I love my Baja. I don't know what we're going to do when we have to buy a replacement for the 06, I'm just glad we have a few years before we have to worry about that!

almost perfect

by Highlands Hovel from Florida and West Virginia on Fri Jan 10 2014

This car was bought as an errand runner and to go up the mountain road to the cabin in the snow. The driver's and passenger's seats are comfortable for long periods once you get in, getting in is tight for tall or heavy folks. The more aggressive may look for a turbo, but for my driving style the standard model is more than adequate for efficient driving. I tow a 54 inch X 96 inch aluminum trailer with ATV on it and the Baja pulls it just fine. I ordered an ARE topper for the bed so we can take stores and baggage on road trips as the folded down back seat belongs to the dog. Frankly this vehicle is as close to perfect for my needs as anything else out there.

Best for snowy roads

by Mountain Racer from WNC on Mon Aug 08 2011

I LOVE THIS 06 TURBO and would own no other. When my neighbors are snowed in, waiting for the roads to clear, I have freedom to explore the beautiful snowy countryside. This car/truck hugs the road like a sports car. Well...to me it is a sports car, it handles these mtn curves beautifully, with plenty of power to pass slow pokes on the road. I also love not having a huge gas bill like with a truck. Another big bonus is being able to haul things for the garden, lumber and other large items that would dirty up the interior or wouldn't fit in a regular car. I have had no problems with this car, I only have to do regular maintenance.

My 3rd BAJA

by SVXtoBAJA from Naples Fl on Fri Aug 14 2015

I have been enjoying Subaru's since my 1st Subaru SVX in 1993. Then Baja 06 Auto, Legacy GT limited, 05, Baja auto 06 again, and Baja 05 turbo 5spd. I like to buy low mileage used and usually pay over book. My 2005 Baja turbo 5sp is a blast. drives just like my 05 gt limited but lets me carry loads of stuff in the back for the rental properties. Sneaky fast when I'm next to any sports car.( I leave the V-8's alone.) Cops really take no notice of this vehicle. I average about 23 mpg on 5 gals. of premium topped with regular. It runs best on this combo. I have never had a problem with these cars and hope my luck continues. Probably will sell the Auto 06 Baja if my son doesn't want it, but the 05 , 5spd is a keeper waiting for headers and freeflow exhaust.

My dream car

by Bajakat from Ohio on Wed Sep 13 2017

I've had my 2006 Subaru Baja for 12 years now. I loved the look of them before I bought one and I asked several people how did they like their Baja. I was able to get this one brand new and I've never regretted it for one day. It has been so reliable and taking me all over the country and all kinds of weather. i've never been able to take it off road so I can't speak to that. But as a grandma who hauls bicycles, kayaks and every kind of garden supply you can think of it's like this truck was designed for me. My son calls it a ca-truck, because he can't decide if it's a car or truck. I'm looking to put more aggressive tread tire and put a little bit a lift in the backend on it can't wait to get that done. People ask me about it all the time and I tell them is the best vehicle I've ever driven, it's been reliable for sure. I have had to do a few repairs like replace the head gasket's and the timing belt and it's going in for New struts tomorrow. But it is 12 years old and I love it!

I can't imagine a more useful vehicle.

by baja from TX on Wed Aug 16 2006

For 95% of what I used to use a truck for, this little truck/car is perfect. Easy to park and drive around the city and very capable where the roads aren't paved; this is about as well-executed as a mid-size truck/car combination can get. Plus, it's just fun to drive in the turbo model.

1 2 3 4