1999 Forester

1999 Subaru Forester

3.9

4 out of 5 stars Value for the Money
4 out of 5 stars Reliability

Have You Driven the 1999 Subaru Forester?

99 Subaru Just as safe as they say

by Just me from Redmond WA on Sun Feb 13 2011

I bought my 1999 Subaru Forester in September 1998 - brand new off the lot. I was the only owner. I had 187K on the car all my miles - combination of highway and city. The car averaged 25MPH up to the end. The end for this car was February 10, 2011 - when my car was rear-ended by a semi-tractor trailer rig on I405 - jack-knifing big rig that couldn't stop. I have to say that while I don't feel well and that I'm injured from the accident - this Forester probably saved me from much more serious injuries. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this brand this car again. My 99 Forester is totaled, otherwise I would still be driving it. Okay, this car is a little loud on the highway. I did have the valves replaced around 89K - I also did the free oil changes every 3K - and followed the major maintenance that is recommended by Subaru. I had the -S- model heated seats, moon roof, and we did make some changes to the sound system with the way that audio changes - but all in all everything was original. This is a great little SUV and for the price and reliability I wouldn't hesitate if this your budget - I know it's hard to consider a car this old and this price point - but they are reliable - and to be honest? I'm truly going to miss my trusty 'lil Red. RIP and thanks for saving my life.

The best car Ive ever owned

by Subaru Junkie from Liberty, NY on Thu Mar 04 2010

I own 3 Subarus A forester, an imprezza wagon and an imprezza sedan. All 1999. Change the timing belt & water pump at every 100k and they will go forever. My forester is a rock. Reliable, it has never let me down! Engine gets a little nosier as it ages but doesnt affect anything. I hate to give it up but now I need a Van. I wish Subaru would make a full sized Van !!!!

A solid, practical, reliable car

by Practical Guy from Chicago, IL on Sat May 05 2007

I bought a used Subaru and owned it for 7 years. Yeah, things occasionally needed to be repaired, as they do on any used car. However, I would never be afraid to take it on a long trip, as I would with most American high milage vehicles. . . As a homeowner, it was a great work vehicle -- it had a lot of room to haul stuff. Would I recommend this vehicle to a friend? Absolutely!

239K and going

by SuBarific Car from Holland MI on Sat Jan 26 2013

Never heard of a Forrester when I bought this rig. 70k on it and a blown head gasket -which the dealer repaired for free- and I am still driving it. No major work on this car. Yes it drips oil...All 99's do. Yes, the motor is clanky but dependable. I would drive it CA tomorrow (slowly) but it would get me there. I am buying a newer one for my daughter.

Long time owner

by K. from Portland, OR on Sat Apr 26 2014

I purchased my 1999 Forester new in late August 1999. It was very reliable the first 100 thousand miles but since then I have had to replace 2 axels and the transmission (automatic) It has never leaked oil. I take the car for regular "check-ups" with my Subaru mechanic and have the oil changed about every 4000 miles. I have driven it 165 thousand miles and am about to get new front brakes - it will be great not to hear them squeal when the weather warms up. Other than the above repairs, the large turning radius and the lack of cup holders, I have enjoyed driving my red subie. There is plenty of cargo room and I haven't worried about taking it on some back country roads. I just replaced it with a 2015 Subaru Forester Limited and will give the older car to my daughter.

yes, it is the most reliable car we have owned so

by average woman from Toronto, Canada on Sun Jan 28 2007

great car, great deal for the money. love the lightnes and reliability. It is almost 7 years old but still runs like new.

AK is Subaru Country

by AK is Subaru Country from Anchorage, AK on Sat Feb 23 2013

I had a great experience working with the internet sales and used car sales teams at Continental Subaru. Ricki, my sales person, worked very diligently to make sure I was the first person to view (and subsequential buy) this vehicle. I would highly recommend you go see Ricki. The Subura is an older model but she runs great. I replaced a few things that are common with age (dash board lights and center console lights, the battery, and repaired the clock). I also had a remote start and new stereo system installed in the vehicle and both work great. This will be a great first car for my niece.

Accessible car

by SoberCitizen from Prince Edward Island on Tue Feb 04 2014

In 2003 we bought our second hand 1999 Subaru on the recommendation of a Red Seal mechanic who also demonstrated its all wheel drive capabilities on inclines of rutted ice and slush. It had to be reliable, safe, be easy for the nurses to assist a wheelchair patient into and out of the front seat and have room for the wheelchair, nurse and other medical gear. (The previous 4wd we had proved difficult for the patients and nurses to maneuver into and out of). The vehicle has given us no problems. We are thoroughly amazed that we have not had to replace any part of the exhaust system (unlike previous vehicles' histories!) or anything under the hood other than filters and fluids.

When they say Subarus last, here's proof!

by LauriePacNW from Portland, OR on Mon Aug 14 2017

I've loved the reliability and practicality of this car. Huge cargo area--I have hauled furniture, lawn and garden items, art easels, building supplies and, of course, my dogs over the years. Now it's 18 years old and 192k miles later, and it's finally been totaled in a major fender-bender. Sad to see it go! Great visibility with those big windows. Cornering is fun with the center of gravity low from the position of the Boxer engine. Fun to drive and pretty zippy for such a practical car. A little noisy on the highway, but comfortable on long trips. I doubt you're here to buy a '99. Just know that if you buy a newer one today, you might be driving it for 15 or 20 years!

Good little cheap car

by beamready from Orange County, CA on Mon Nov 06 2017

I think its a great car for the money, has some problems but it is reliable and runs decent. The ride is loud, interior design is funky, but it does the job.

1 2

Our Take on the 1999 Subaru Forester

While others develop sport-utes built off cars, Subaru has a pair of such hybrids in showrooms, the compact Outback built off the Legacy wagon and the subcompact Forester built off the Impreza wagon.

We tested the '99 Forester, fairly attractive and certainly very practical in terms of offering all-wheel-drive for all-season motoring.

Cute and cuddly, but Forester has two faults that need to be addressed as more rivals get into the small sport-ute market and consumers can be more selective.

Forester is a tad narrow and confining. And whoever designed the seats should be told that foam and cloth make for a more enjoyable ride than granite.

Standard features include dual air bags, anti-lock brakes... Read More