Read or write a review.

4.0
Average based on 8 reviews

Used 2000 Subaru Forester L

by from San Francisco, CA on March 31, 2010

My wife and I purchased this car used with 144k miles for my mother-in-law. It came equipped with power windows and locks, a/c, am/f,m/cd stereo, automatic, leather interior, abs, and awd. The previous owner had kept meticulous records and had the car mechanically serviced religiously. My independent mechanic said it was in great shape and a solid car. After a new set of tires, an alignment job, and a professional interior and exterior detail (wet sanding, clay bar, wax, shampoo of interior, and steam clean of engine bay) the car looked and drove darn near as good as new. The car is serving my mother-in-law reliably and comfortably, and she now has a safe and dependable vehicle to take my daughter out in. I would recommend this car to anybody looking for a car where safety and reliability are first and foremost. The creature comforts inside are somewhat lacking compared to newer cars, but still offer a comfortable ride. The performance is adequate, and capable for routine driving on city streets and the highway. It is a good all around compact quasi-suv.

great car in bad weather

by from Wisconsin on March 16, 2010

I love my Subaru. This car doesn't think it's a car, it thinks its a hummer! goes anywhere, does whatever I want.

love my car

by from MI on December 18, 2010

Never ever any problem with my "subie." I keep passing up the fancys in the ditch with our icy <20 degree weather

Reliable Ride

by from Hiram, OH on August 11, 2010

Owned a '00 Forester for over 7 years - except for a wheel bearing, nothing more than typical maintenance items for 136K miles - traded it in for a RAV4 that didn't compare favorably to the Forester. The car was unstoppable in the snow.

Great on Snow

by from Bountiful, UT on July 14, 2010

One of the best cars we have ever owned. Great on snow and around town. Very reliable. Sometimes expensive to service but services other than regular maintenance are rare

Best small SUV

by from Indiana on July 5, 2013

These Forester SUVs are great! Very reliable engine and drive system. If you take care of it, should give you 250,000 miles for sure! They also are safe in case of collision. Our first one hit black ice and had no chance but the vehicle took the hit and my family was unhurt. Usually snow and ice are no issue for these cars. With the sound system upgrade with CD player the sound is impressive. It handles like a car, purrs like a kitten on the highway, has plenty of acceleration and has rear seats that easily fold down to provide lots of cargo room. The roof rack enables you to carry skis, bikes, whatever and plenty of places to tie off or clamp down. We are on our second Forester and it may last us until we are too darned old to drive!

Great vehicle that we're looking to a second one

by from boscobel, wi on October 29, 2013

We got a 2001 forester as a hand me down from my sister in law who bought it used for their oldest son whom didn't like it. Glad he didn't because we LOVE it! We have two kids ages 8 and 3 and it fits our family of 4 perfectly. It has taken us on several road trips and is awesome in the winter months here. Very reliable and dependable car when you take care of it. Ours is almost at 200k miles and still going strong. We are looking for a second vehicle as work schedules have changed and looking to get another one. I believe the cargo space is pretty amazing as well. We live in farm country and drive towards the city to do a monthly bulk shopping at Sam's Club and it hold everything we need without having to pile everything up to the roof of the car, and that's with both kids still sitting in the back seat. No need to use the fold down seats. Ours is a basic model with power windows and locks, am/fm radio and a cassette player. This an all around great family car.

don"t do it.

by from pittsburgh pa on September 9, 2013

4 monthes and 3000 after i bought it from a private owner (no warranty) my trannsmission completely crapped out. same exaxct to 2 others i know

Similar Models