2005 Forester

2005 Subaru Forester

2005 Subaru Forester

4.2

Have You Driven the 2005 Subaru Forester?

Our Second '05 Forester

by Caritb from Potomac Falls, VA on Tue Feb 22 2011

My daughter totaled our first '05 Forester, which was bought new. She rear-ended a commercial van, but didn't get a scratch herself. In a less well-constructed car, she could have been severely injured. So I bought another '05 Forester. These cars retain their value! I put a few extra bucks into the "new" one to get one with lower mileage. It drives just like the first one - sure-footed, all-wheel drive handling, plenty of power to get out of a bad situation, but not too much for a young driver to get into one. Plenty of cargo space. Our first Forester never had a problem, and I don't expect any with this one. It's a great car!

Car, Truck, no its a Forester

by Tomato1 from Buffalo, NY on Sat Aug 19 2006

This was the first vehicle I have puchased new, and the biggest selling point is that even the base model had everything I needed. I live in the North (snow), frequently travel to construction sites (mud), carry a lot of tools and equipment around (station wagon), haul around ladders (truck), make long trips on my service route (econo-box), am starting a family (safety), and wanted something I could work on myself if need be (cheap). After comparing a dozen or so vehicles in its class, and knowing a few fanatical fans of Subarus, I couldn't come up with a reason not to go for it. The standard features are just what one needs, without too many frills. Everything about the car is comfortable, except I feel that on the highway there is a bit too much road noise. I'm used to driving bigger, more luxurious vehicles so maybe I'm just picky, but on long trips I have a tendency to arrive just a bit crankier than my spouse would like. However, it could be much worse. The seats are very supportive. The 4 cylinder engine is enough to make the car peppy when I'm the only thing in it, but load it up with 4 people and some luggage and you definitely notice the engine strain. Turning on the AC likewise really bogs it down. I can't complain too much, though, because the gas mileage is adequate. A V6 would just make me angry every time I stop at the gas station. Handling is suprisingly good for such a tall vehicle. It corners very nicely, is swift to change lanes, is a dream to parallel park, and stops on a dime. The 2006 models have a package with 4 wheel disc brakes and much larger outside mirrors, which I feel are important safety items that should be standard. I wish I could have held out a year for that. Styling? What's that? Subaru could have done worse. Its not exactly eye-catching, but it isn't goofy-looking or available in garish colors like some competitors out there. You can't hide what this car is: a four-wheel drive station wagon for tall people. It looks like the sensible vehicle it is. The interior design is good, though after a year I still have to think about which stalk sticking out from the steering wheel does what... especially when getting out of one car and into the next. Leg room in the front is outstanding, and so is the cargo volume with the rear seats down.

Favorite Car, Ever

by Alex from Brooklyn, NY on Fri Nov 15 2013

In my lifetime, I've own 5 different cars. This is, by far, my favorite. We bought our '05 Forester in early 2011 with 76,000 miles and it's been a dream. It's extremely roomy inside and very comfortable. It has tons of cargo space for such a small SUV. It preforms very well, especially with our manual transmission and gets pretty good mileage at around 28mpg on the highway. It's also be extremely reliable with just a few relatively minor wear-and-tear repairs. This is the ultimate multi-use vehicle as it balances just the right size and fuel efficiency with interior space and comfort. I'm actually disappointed the newer model Foresters are bigger. You can't beat this generation of the Forester.

My first car

by Subydoo on Mon Feb 05 2018

I owned a 2005 forester from 100k miles to 150k miles. It was a wonderful vehicle, getting me through dozens of long distance road trips in snowy and rainy weather. I never had any issues besides routine maintenance, and I loved the way it felt on the road.

So far, so good

by HereinNJ from Budd Lake, NJ on Sun Mar 23 2014

I've only had this car a few weeks, but so far I like it. My only negative is that it's too low, and that's just me. I have been driving either mini vans or larger SUVs for so long, I'm used to riding up higher & having a better view of everything; especially with the high piles of snow we still have here. Going from an 8 cyl. Ford Explorer (2 of them) to this 4 cyl. smaller car, I'd say I'm pleasantly surprised at the power, especially for an automatic. The smaller cars I used to drive were 5 speeds. It has a decent amount of interior storage compartments also. I did buy a narrow pillow to put between the 2 front seats because I'm used to having a higher console to rest my elbow on, which this doesn't have.

Good but major rust issue

by Humber514 from Montreal, Qc on Sat Mar 18 2017

I have a Subaru Forester 2.5xs 2005. It is a very good car especially during the winter but there are major rust issue. The rust is apparent in the inside and the outside. So maintenance is a must for future buyers.

Excellent shape for a 2005.

by Maddog from Foxboro, MA on Sun Nov 05 2017

Everyone has told me Subaru makes a good car and this car seems to hear that that out. Granted the previous owner (the only owner other me) took very good care of it. But it has held up well. No rust, runs well, a little noisy but very comfortable. Instrument cluster is clear and controls are positioned well and there is good visibility all around.

My 2005 Subaru Forester does not disappoint

by Rana C from Aurora on Mon Aug 21 2017

This car fits my needs perfectly. It has generous head and leg room. The heated seats, storage spaces, cup holders, smooth quiet ride, rear cargo space, comfortable seats and large windows equal a handy car that is pleasant to drive.

Had to put some money into it to get it running r

by Ruby Sue from ENGADINE on Sat Jan 13 2018

I love the car and very clean and rust free. Good gas mileage. Running great now. Spent another $800.00 to get it running.

Reliable, safe and fun!

by Chandelier from NC on Wed Jun 14 2017

Besides being rated as one of the safest cars on the road, I love the classic styling and great visibility, especially through the rear view mirror/back windows. It drives like a charm on mountain roads and has been a life saver when moving--the car can hold an amazing amount of stuff! Subaru Forester will be my sidekick for many years to come.

1 2 3