Read or write a review.

4.1
Average based on 15 reviews

We love our Forester

by from Seattle, WA on December 21, 2010

This car does just what we want it to do. It gets reasonable gas millage around town, and handles potholed mountain roads better than many SUVs I've driven. The AWD is great on snow and ice. We've had no problems at all in over 30,000 miles. Probably the only complaint I can think of is an illusive squeak that sometimes comes from the dash when it is cold.

owned 2 and going for a 3rd

by from lakewood, nj on April 6, 2009

right seat height, reliable, many windows to see all around, ample cargo room, back seat comfort needs to be improved

Great Overall Car

by from Staunton,Va on May 10, 2009

Fun to drive excelent short turning radius, good vision all around, reasonable gas millage, adequate power from the four cilinder boxer engine, corners well in mountain driving, carries all my art supplies, easy to load and unload can go nearely anywhere there is a semblance of a road. reliable. One of the few cars built today by any manufacturer that I can drive in comfort due to its leg room and head room I have had only one problem so far and that was an AC leak which the dealer easily fixed the second time around when the dye they used pointed out the leak. Good dealer service.

Reliable car

by from MSP on December 20, 2011

Bought used with 73000miles. Great cargo area for bringing home a Christmas tree or other big stuff. When it snowed, it went great on through. Dashboard stuff is real practical and easy.

Lives up to its promise

by from Hillsdale Ontario on August 28, 2012

The 2008 Forester is new to me and replaces a Ford Focus which I loved. I found that at age 80 I was using the hand grip over the door to haul myself out. The taller Forester solved that.I can exit and enter with ease. I was surprised that my 2003 Focus had nice little touches that the 2008 Forester lacks. I think the Forester's instrument lighting is poor. With the too quiet clicking and dim lighting of the turn signals I neither see or hear when they're on. Why aren't the turn signal lights on the dash as bright as the cruise control? Insturment lighting is generally too dim. I have 2 choices: wear sunglasses and say bye bye to instruments or go without sunglasses and say bye bye to instruments as glare shuts down my irises and I squint. Turning on headlights proves iinstrument lights are only good at night. But in all other respects I love the car. With a sunroof and frameless windows I can almost convince myself I'm in a convertible. With the ease of folding the rear seat backs it quickly becomes a little workhorse for carrying weeds to the dump etc. Great cottage car. Roomy, comfortable and peppy. It is pretty much good for anything I might want to do.

reliabllity

by from Pa. on January 12, 2010

excellent bad weather car. A few minor problems, inexpensive to maintain except for yokohama tires,poor tread life.

Recently bought a brand new Forester 08.

by from Minneapolis, MN on March 29, 2008

Before deciding for the Forester I test drove the Outback and the Honda CR-V. The Honda was a roomier, more comfortable car with more features and slightly less fuel efficient. However, the Honda rode more like a typical SUV and was bumpy and noisy. The Outback was the smoothest, most comfortable car but was also the longest, being a wagon crossover. The Outback base model offers a decent package though. In my opinion, the Forester was more maneuverable, and fun to drive. The Subarus performed better in harsh weather than the Honda with their real AWD which is what I was looking for. Fuel filling is very efficient for a car its size.

First car

by from on January 22, 2009

This is a great car for a first car especially if you are in snow alot. Its safe and a good size where it doesnt take too much gas but it sits higher so you feel safer.

average car

by from Pennsylvania on March 1, 2009

It is a good car but not amazing. First Subaru and like it but don't love it. Kind of loud on the highway and not mayn nice features.

Swiss Army Knife of Cars

by from DC on November 26, 2013

These vehicles are long term reliable. The only complaint is that on the less expensive models the seats can be uncomfortable. However, if you bring along a small memory foam pillow for long hauls that seems to work. The AWD is fantastic for any road condition. The engines, maintained properly can last in excess of 250,000 miles. I base that on actual experience. My 2008 has 135,000 miles and required spark plugs and plug wires at 124,000 miles. Make sure you use spark plug wire grease on the wires or they won't make a good connection. They are reliable and the new models have better seats and the price is right. Buy it and drive it. The body integrity and engine are good for the long haul. For the price you can't beat it. We regularly drive from DC to the Myrtle Beach area and the car gets around 27 mpg and more in highway driving. It's completely safe in the rain and that makes for pleasurable driving.

Similar Models