2008 Impreza

4.5 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

Great car for the money

by CurlinFan from Ashby, MA on July 11, 2010

I've owned 3 Subaru's and this was my first Impreza. It gets great gas milage, 33 on the highway, and it handles like a dream. A really great car for the value.

Good Little Car....

by KGone from Eastern NE on August 23, 2012

2008 Subaru Impreza 2.5i premium wagon was my first brand new car. I had it for alsmost 5 years before it was time to upgrade (due to family expansion..:)) Anyway, it was a solid, reliable car for almost 5 years. The only two issues were the blinker light went out and the rear wiper rubber broke off and both were replaced under warranty. No other issues after that. I only did oil changes very religiously (synthetic) and rotated tires. Ran like a champ. No other maintenance was done other than changing the air filter twice. Could use more power especially when 4 grown ups are in the car and going uphill. Wind noise wasn't an issue but I noticed that after I upgraded into a new vehicle. Gas mileage could be better which I am sure the newer model addressed. However, I don't really like the new design. There is also a bit of body roll but for most drivers should be a non issue. Head lights a little dull as well but didn't matter to me. Most of the time as I was paying attention to the road anyway! Brakes well and wet weather and snow performance is excellent. Being a taller and slightly bigger person, I thought the seats were very comfortable...and back seats were good for two people/two infant seats. After 5 years, when I traded my car there were no rattles whatsoever. Felt solid. I miss my subie...but it had to go! We took multiple long trips 1K miles or more in this car with no issues... Hope this helps. If you are looking for a used car a low mileage 40K-50K would be a good buy. Enjoy!

Forget Honda And Toyota

by HelloooSubaru! from Cleveland on August 29, 2008

As soon as you approach this vehicle you notice something you no longer see in Hondas and Toyotas, Quality. In the ISO quality control world Subaru can be proud of their black belt. Open the door and you will feel the difference in the handle. The handle doesn't jiggle like my 07 civic and the door does not fly open. It feels like you are opening a door to a vw (car junkies know what I mean). Look underneath the wheel well and you will notice that the rust proofing is spread evenly w/o bare spots. Open the hood and you will find gas assisted lifts for the hood. Wrap your hands around the leather steering wheel with PERFECT stitching. Start the engine and the car rocks as it comes to life in a very sexy lets drive now kinda way. The instrument panel has a modern, sporty , yet simple display that won't hurt your eyes after 200k miles. The 5spd has grunt as it is very hard to stall and still has lots of fun to offer the experienced manual driver. Drive down the road and you will wonder if the car is running, this car is amazingly quiet! Very minimal tire noise you can use your speaker phone mode w/ ease. The radio is ample, not a lot of bass here but you don't need it to cover up that road noise like other cars. Techies the ipod upgrade is wonderful, worth the extra money. Take a turn or go from a dead stop around a turn and you will be impressed. Handling is very impressive due to the awd and prowertrain setup. The seats are supportive and you will actually feel your legs when you get out. I have the black and silver color combo and it gets looks, and people take interest in its quirky sporty nature. Black is hard to maintain but if you know how to properly care for it, it looks great with its blue fleck. This car has so many positives there are too many to mention, but I think you get the point. My mpg is a true 29-31. Not bad considering its awd and larger engine than the competition. Put this car on your must test drives and you will be impressed!

Not what I expected

by PJ from Boston, MA on October 13, 2012

I bought this car new. I had few issues with it over the last four years and the overall quality is underwhelming. The major problem was the blown head gasket - seems to be a design problem that has not been addressed since 2.5i engine has been introduced. Very expensive repair since it is very labor intensive, and it should not happen on 4 year old vehicle. Few other issues - brakes are sub-par , had to change front rotors at 34k, rear brakes are drum (c'mon it is 2008 not 1978...). The car had a recall - for the computer re-flashing that was supposed to make it better, but actually made the vehicle a lot more sluggish, and the fuel economy dropped by 3-5 mpg - unacceptable, the technician did not even asked whether I want this re-flash or not. Overall car has a lot of body roll (Subaru saved on anti roll bar in their base model) and the suspension is softer than I would have liked. Car stereo is a joke. Not a bad vehicle, but not much fun either. On a positive note service has been good (except the recall issue).

Does not recommend this car!!

Love is a strong word...

by Motty from NY on August 4, 2008

But I do do love my subie! Mine is an 08 hatchback with the premium package. Pros: The Symmetrical AWD (obviously), styling, versatility, and features. I love that the rear seats fold flat - it gives you a ton of cargo space. My personal favorite was the addition (to the premium package) of an Ipod interface. This connects directly into the head-unit and can be controlled by the stearing wheel volume and track channels. The interface cord is nicely hidden in the center console/arm rest. Totally wire-free (view) and direct access to my whole collection - amazing! If I were to nit-pick, I would say the auto-transmission could use some refinement. I find it drops into both 2nd and 3rd too soon, leaving you searching for a power band...making the auto stick a neccesity for freeway on-ramps etc. The front seats sit too low, which is not a problem for the driver, since it has an adjustable height lever, however the passenger is left wondering why they are riding on the road (no adjustable height lever)...especially since there is plenty of headroom. Overall, it's fun, distinct and versatile. Love, love, love.

My wife's Subaru

by Steve184 from Jackson, nj on May 14, 2012

I was really happy when we brought home our Impreza wagon. I laughed when I saw the Lexus model that looked just like ours without AWD. I was grateful the Christmas Eve that our Subaru got us safely home and I was in awe to see how it could climb our hill in 24 inches of snow. My only problem came after I brought her in for minor EM re-program which Subaru insisted would not affect anything in drive ability or MPG. Since then, I lost at least 2 MPG and in our times, that was big. I asked the dealer if there was a fix but they denied the problem. The problem exists. Just look at that Internet. All that aside, we still love our Subaru and would buy another.

sportiest car I've owned

by The old man from Mendon NY on November 16, 2011

Purchasing my Red 2008 Impreza was not just a good practical decision it was a good idea based on appearence. Having all wheel drive for the winter, 170 hp. semi compact size and a hatch back makes this car functional. Alloy wheels, snappy interior with floor shift, fog lights and a sort of BMW 3 series style puts this car in front of the others in its class.

Best Car I've Owned

by Subaru Lover from Chicago, IL on August 24, 2013

I bought my 2008 Subaru Impreza STI used with 36k miles. I have it for 2 months now, and it is the best car I have owned. It has enough cargo space, seats are comfortable, and the perfomance is just outstanding. The older STI's had harder suspensions, but in 2008s they improved. It is really comfortable. Everything is great, but the gas milage could be just a little bit better. Sometimes I even get 17mgp on a highway when pushing the car. But it is my fault. GREAT CAR

A brilliant purchase

by zachattack from Sacramento, CA on April 27, 2013

I dont understand why more people don't buy Subaru cars. Their technology is genius. You will never find a more efficient AWD car for the money. The term 'symmetrical' explains it all. Well balanced in every way.

Great 1st new car experience

by First-time owner from Chicago suburbs on June 14, 2008

I'm biased because this is my first new car, but 2,000 miles in and I still love it. If you're looking at the hatchback with the premium package: upgrade to the Outback Sport for the same car + heated seats, windshield defroster, and better suspension for $1,000 if you can afford it. My dealer didn't tell me about this before I ordered. Pros: Great mileage for an AWD. I've been getting 23/30/25 including starting and AC. Great in bad weather, I haven't slipped once in the Spring '08 floods in the Midwest yet. And I have no problem making sharp turns at 20-30 if I want. Premium speakers are good enough to feel them, but not to impress. Performance is more than enough for an aggressive driver to pass and get ahead first out of a green light, but nothing to race in. Cons: The trunk does rattle a lot. DON'T get the iPod option - it's very confusing to control, lags 2 seconds behind controls, the attatchment doesn't fit through most iPod protection cases, and it's very hard to reach with about 2 inches of cable at the bottom of the armrest. The line-in is good enough. Only 4/5 gears for auto/manual. Not much interior storage for the driver, I still have to throw phone/GPS cords on the floor.

1 2 3 4 5 6