Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2014 Impreza

2014 Subaru Impreza

2014 Subaru Impreza

Have You Driven the 2014 Subaru Impreza?

Impreza Wagon AKA "The Snow Cat"

by Robert from Southeast Pennsylvania on Mon Feb 17 2014

This winter SE Pennsylvania has been brutal, especially with consistent significant (6+ inches) snowfalls. But hey, what a better test for the Subaru Impreza wagon? We live in a township that does not always get to the side roads to quickly when it becomes time to plow, so you're on your own for a day or two. We had a GMC Envoy 4x4 that met the last of it's days. Nice truck but horrible on gas and was like driving a bull in a China shop when trying to navigate the inner city. Parallel parking it was also a chore too, especially for the wife. Our Impreza has been a great, practical replacement! Yeah, we don't have as much interior space as the SUV, but the majority of time it was hauling around cubic feet of air. With the money we saved on gas and the price of the vehicle, we could rent a U haul van or Lowes truck 30 times to move a very large item. For everday use, the Impreza has been fine. Last night, I had ten 2x4x8 pieces of lumber in the back with the hatch closed (and passenger seat empty). Not bad. Now for the snow...phenomenal. Did not get stuck once in heavy, unplowed snows. The stock tires are okay but I will upgrade to Continental DWS when the time comes. That should make it even better. Oh, and yes, AWD is far superior to FWD or RWD. I saw many cars with FWD spinning their wheels to get moving, and some even stuck, on roads that were plowed, but still had a hard packed snow surface. The Subaru rolled along without any struggle at all. Some caveats: you still have to know how to drive in snow (AWD helps alot, but does not totally compensate for a lack of experience, bad tires, or common sense), the car will plow through deeper snow, but make sure it is not hard packed ice because of the lower ground clearance, you still have to steer and stop...AWD will get you going and will help in a turn, but only so much. Speed kills (or at least contributes to crashes in slippery conditions). As for the rest of the car, it is nice. The CVT takes some getting used to, but I like it because I'm not a speed junkie anymore. Gas mileage has been very good but not quite what is advertised, but then is it ever? Interior quality is good except the seat fabric seems cheap, so we got seat covers. The car is surprisingly roomy for both passengers and cargo (I'm 6'3 235 lbs with long legs). Outward visibility is great. The radio sounds cheap. The bluetooth can be frustrating.The paint quality seems kind of cheap and seems to chip easily. Overall, we bought this to serve as our SUV replacement and my primary commuter car into the city. City commuting is hard on a vehicle between the commute itself and parking. A vehicle tends to get beat-up badly throught its life. A pricier model like the Outback was out because I did not want to subject it to inner city commuting conditions, so the Impreza became the workhorse. So far, it It serves it's purpose admirably! We are true Subaru fans now.

Great car overall

by First time Subie owner from Alabama on Fri Dec 12 2014

My 2014 Impreza premium hatchback has 11 months at 10,200 miles thus far and I am mostly satisfied. Great economy (30 mpg overall thus far by my calculations, the dash mpg gauge is about 1-2 mpg optimistic.). I usually get 32-34mpg at 68 mph, 31 @ 70 mph, 34-38 at 65 or less. The mpg did significantly improve after 5000 miles so break in is a factor in economy for this engine. It's very comfortable, peppy w/CVT, great handling but the road & wind noise is a little loud. The large mirrors (good visibility) likely cause the wind noise. I'm sure changing to Michelin Defenders (someday) will help w/the road noise. The stereo is adequate but everyone says the speakers are 'tinny' and they are. Would an extra $20 for good speakers be too much to ask? High beams are great and I changed out low beam bulbs and they are now quite good too. The sun visors are too small to cover the side windows & they don't slide or have extensions so I had the windows tinted. So other than the speakers & sun visors I truly like this car. It looks good, is safe, is economical (great mileage & dealer gives free oil changes for life w/Subaru synthetic oil), powerful enough for me (in my younger days I raced sports cars- now I'm more mature). I even like the CVT!!! I do hope this is as reliable as my old Toyota because I can see this being my car for many years....

Biggest bang for your buck

by Katie from Chicago, IL on Mon Jun 16 2014

I still can't believe how affordable this car is. I looked at others in it's class and this one hit them out of the park. The loyalty of Subaru, the reliability and the long-standing reputation put it in first place for me from the getgo. I figured I would go with a kia to save money, but this ended up being cheaper considering I wanted power windows and such...I am not a car girl but I appreciate the all-wheel drive and noticed a huge difference in better handling since I took it for a test drive. Great on gas, comfortable and luxurious compared to the Toyotas I've had in the past. Small car (reminds me of the size of a camry) but roomy back seat. Overall just a really well-made car, and I get free car washes for the life of the car from the Subaru dealership I bought it at. There's also high visibility through the design, which is a must. The back window is nice and big so I can see the road well. Very happy with this purchase. I'm probably going to join the Subaru for life club, starting with their cheapest model, which does not feel cheap at all. I plan on having this for the next ten years.

Sleek, zippy car

by relucanttraveler from Santa Barbara, CA on Thu Aug 14 2014

For a small car, the ride is quite comfortable. Handling is great. I got the automatic transmission and don't agree with the reviewers who say it is loud. I was pleasantly surprised by the acceleration. Great gas mileage. Very efficient use of interior space -- the car feels larger inside than it looks from the outside. Plenty of headroom throughout and two adults can sit in the back seat with enough legroom to be comfortable, even on a long ride.

Perfect First Car

by Erik from Washington on Tue Apr 04 2017

I can't say enough about how perfect this car is as a first time buyer. It's affordable and reliable, and it goes without saying Subaru will always take care of you.

Subaru Impreza Sport

by 1st Subaru from Denver, CO on Fri Apr 04 2014

Traded in my 2008 Mazda3 with 140k on it for a 2014 Subaru Impreza Sport with a 5-speed manual(as it should be). The Subaru is a confident hatchback with quite an array of features. I chose the Impreza Sport Premium for the upgraded interior, wheels and appearance. I think the entry Impreza is a little bare. The 2.0 liter 148 horsepower engine took a little while to get use to coming from a Mazda3 which is front-wheel and zippy. The Subaru is quicker with the manual, I think, and has given me 34 mpg highway on road trips. The heated seats are comfortable and there is plenty of legroom for all passengers. The fold-down seats provide a great amount of cargo room for bikes, snowboards, moving days and more. The Bluetooth connectivity for phone and music is a great feature and makes playing your tunes very easy. With it being my 1st Subaru, I am totally sold on the brand and love the car. I would recommend the Subaru Impreza Sport having looked at VWs, Mazdas, Hondas, and Toyotas. It is an economical, affordable, and safe car. The all wheel drive standard also makes it the best all season vehicle. Being in Colorado, this car, even with a 2.0 liter 148 horsepower engine, can climb the Rocky Mountains.

Still breaking it in

by Weed from Boston, Ma on Tue Aug 26 2014

I have owned a Subaru Impreza 5 d/ sport model for 3 wks and have logged 1500 miles, it handles very well at all speeds, a little more road noise at high speeds but not bad. Has the pep needed when entering the highway and still gets on average 33 miles per gal., still breaking it in. The shifting paddles on steering wheel are interesting. The vehicle has nice style and has plenty off interior room. I've owned SUV's for the past 20 years and enjoy taking a corner without worrying. Looking forward to see how awd works in the New England winter.

safest on the road

by picky shopper from napa,ca on Sun Sep 21 2014

This is my 3rd subaru. This one gets the best mpg can't beat that and still is a all wheel-drive vehicle.

Just the best

by Howard from upstate New York on Sun Apr 20 2014

I bought my car from Bennington Subaru off of Cars. Com. What a great car.....built beautifully; I am getting about 34 mpg in the city, and I love it. Bought the Impreza Hatchback and its perfect for city errands and an occasional longer trip. I have the manual, it is black, and it rides light and is fairly quick. Great handling, and I had to have all wheel drive. I love it, love it, love it.

Gets up and goes everytime

by Colton368 from on Fri Jan 13 2017

I bought my 2014 impreza sport 5 months ago and have put nearly 12,000 miles on her. She has been very reliable and has the pep you need when you need it. The only thing that really bugs me is the rattleing of the interior on some roads and the electronic steering at speeds above 90, the car will go 0-60 in faster then 10 seconds which is what factory rates it at and is zippy just like the WRX

1 2 3 4 5