2001 Legacy

2001 Subaru Legacy

2001 Subaru Legacy

4.3

4 out of 5 stars Performance

Have You Driven the 2001 Subaru Legacy?

You'll beg for rain & snow

by C.J. in Sonoma from Sonoma, CA on Wed Mar 25 2009

This car is a fantastic commuter returning 28mpg highway. It has better power, handling, and overall performance than an Accord and come rain and snow there isn't a better feeling car outside of Audi maybe. If purchasing this car, get a run down on the head gaskets. Mine went at about 125K on the odometer. It wasn't a cheap fix, but I've been cruising worry and hassle free for another 25K so far. It isn't the best looking car, but it does have character and the interior is baby BMW. Oh, and the sound system is great for a factory unit. When the heavens open and the rain/snow starts to fall you'll be grinning ear to ear. That is when this "sporty" sedan comes to life. Happy motoring!

"Dependable handling in snow and rain."

by Family Man from Oakland, CA on Sun Mar 23 2008

Positives: - Sure-footed, secure handling in inclement weather - Low-cost, low-maintenance dependability - Moderate-price yields big bang for buck - Good compromise between gas guzzling SUV and economical around-town vehicle - With roof-rack cargo option provides sufficient cargo space for most types of hauling jobs or long trips - While mileage isn't great due to all-wheel drive, it's superior to most SUVs Negatives: - Not as comfortable as most American-built cars; can feel cramped on long trips - Front seats do not slide back far enough to give 6-footer full-extension leg room - Doesn't properly insulate from wind noise at high speeds (this was also true of our last Legacy, a 1991 model) Overall: - A very good value for a combination family/commuter/recreation vehicle - The car of choice by most Sierra range regulars, especially in the Lake Tahoe area

My one true car-love

by SharonT from Cortland, NY on Tue Feb 13 2018

This was the first car I purchased post-divorce, and I'm not really sure why I had my heart set on a Subaru, except that I had heard they were safe and reliable, and those were most important to me. This was the BEST car ... it performed well in winter, it never, in 13 years, left me stranded anywhere. One time when it needed a new catalytic converter, I felt it was too new for that, and wrote to National Subaru, and they paid 100% for the repair. I hated getting rid of this vehicle, kept it 13 years, but I did not have a garage in all that time, and it was starting to rust. I have since owned a Jetta and a Cruze, and want my next car to be a Subaru. <3 I'm not the kind of person to get attached to cars, but I'm attached to Subaru (their commercials are also great). I'm a believer!

Just a good car.

by gourmike from TN on Fri Oct 06 2006

I like : comfort and good view and handling dislikes: average speed on highways and feel fairly vibration, from tires or engine ?

Best Car for Price!

by College student from Duluth, MN on Sun Jul 11 2010

I loved the Honda Accord I had before this car and doubted I could find a better car, but then I drove my Subaru Legacy Limited GT. This car has exceptional handling and great gas millage given that it has AWD. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable car with a added bonus of a sporty look.

Best car ever

by Rage2day on Sun Oct 22 2017

I had this car for 2 years, I changed the oil in it one time. I threw everything I could at it! I abused this car and drive it hard! I took it on off-road trails and into the mountains every night. The only issue was the lower radiator hose would come loose and leak coolant but that's a easy fix. It was super fast since I had the twin turbo boxer in japan. The all wheel drive kept me glued to the road! I loved this car and I wish I could have it still. Definitely consider a turbo legacy wagon!!!

subaru 2001

by jg from Cincinnati, Ohio on Tue Jan 05 2010

I've put over 275,000 miles on my Legacy wagon, and had no trouble except for replacing belts (including 275000 miles on theclutch. It's a great car, carries all the junk I take backpacking, bicycling, and on fiddle festival trips and I can sleep in the back.

The best car I have owned

by Latouche from Millersburg, PA on Sat Feb 20 2010

I have had many Subaru's and when I lost my engine in the last one. I had to pruchase a Ford Taurus, but there was no way that this car could take the back roads and snow that I like to get into. I searched for a used Subaru wagon, a 100 mile radius. I came up with 4. The others were just like my old one but more expensive than mine was. I took a lower price one and love it. I just wish I could turn off the headlights when I just want to sit and listen to sit and listen to music. If anyone has any recommendations other than shooting them out, let me know. Proud to be an owner again.

great famly car

by happy driver from PA on Wed Jul 26 2017

great in the snow long trips are comfortable on long trips and plenty of room to take all your stuff

2001 Legacy GT on the fence

by Joe from Spokane, wa on Sun May 01 2011

Not a bad car but not great either. Does what it's suppose to do and that's about it. AWD works great, handles nice, and has some decent power, get the 5 speed otherwise car will be very sluggish. Lags in interior comfort, options, and looks. Heated seats were not an option which is perplexing at best. How could they not offer this when the car is touted for snow and cold weather? Comfort is an issue also. Chances are you will have to buy some 1/2 thick blue form pads to sit on. Seats are that hard. Problems: Clutch issue dealing with the hydraulic hose are common, as is the muti-switch on the steering column. Other issues are bushings and of course the big one head gaskets. Make sure if you are looking to buy one that the head gaskets have been done and by whom. A dealer will replace with defective original ones and you will have to do them again.

1 2

Our Take on the 2001 Subaru Legacy

Quick, what's the difference between a Subaru Legacy GT wagon and a Subaru Legacy Outback H6-3.0 VDC wagon?

If you said about $7,000, congratulations, you most certainly have a mind that gets to the bottom line very quickly. For those who want to know what that extra $7,000 gets you, read on.

This side-by-side comparison presented quite a challenge because I rank the Subaru wagons at the top of the segment. Subaru just has this segment down, and all-wheel drive across the board only sweetens the deal.

My test started with the top-of-the-line 2001 Subaru Legacy Outback H6-3.0 VDC, which starts at 31,895 (the tested model went for $32,390 with the destination and delivery charge). Now... Read More