2001 Subaru Legacy

2001 Legacy GT on the fence

by from Spokane, wa on May 1, 2011

Not a bad car but not great either. Does what it's suppose to do and that's about it. AWD works great, handles nice, and has some decent power, get the 5 speed otherwise car will be very sluggish. Lags in interior comfort, options, and looks. Heated seats were not an option which is perplexing at best. How could they not offer this when the car is touted for snow and cold weather? Comfort is an issue also. Chances are you will have to buy some 1/2 thick blue form pads to sit on. Seats are that hard. Problems: Clutch issue dealing with the hydraulic hose are common, as is the muti-switch on the steering column. Other issues are bushings and of course the big one head gaskets. Make sure if you are looking to buy one that the head gaskets have been done and by whom. A dealer will replace with defective original ones and you will have to do them again.

You'll beg for rain & snow

by from Sonoma, CA on March 25, 2009

This car is a fantastic commuter returning 28mpg highway. It has better power, handling, and overall performance than an Accord and come rain and snow there isn't a better feeling car outside of Audi maybe. If purchasing this car, get a run down on the head gaskets. Mine went at about 125K on the odometer. It wasn't a cheap fix, but I've been cruising worry and hassle free for another 25K so far. It isn't the best looking car, but it does have character and the interior is baby BMW. Oh, and the sound system is great for a factory unit. When the heavens open and the rain/snow starts to fall you'll be grinning ear to ear. That is when this "sporty" sedan comes to life. Happy motoring!

subaru 2001

by from Cincinnati, Ohio on January 5, 2010

I've put over 275,000 miles on my Legacy wagon, and had no trouble except for replacing belts (including 275000 miles on theclutch. It's a great car, carries all the junk I take backpacking, bicycling, and on fiddle festival trips and I can sleep in the back.

Best Car for Price!

by from Duluth, MN on July 11, 2010

I loved the Honda Accord I had before this car and doubted I could find a better car, but then I drove my Subaru Legacy Limited GT. This car has exceptional handling and great gas millage given that it has AWD. I would definitely recommend this car to anyone looking for a reliable car with a added bonus of a sporty look.

"Dependable handling in snow and rain."

by from Oakland, CA on March 23, 2008

Positives: - Sure-footed, secure handling in inclement weather - Low-cost, low-maintenance dependability - Moderate-price yields big bang for buck - Good compromise between gas guzzling SUV and economical around-town vehicle - With roof-rack cargo option provides sufficient cargo space for most types of hauling jobs or long trips - While mileage isn't great due to all-wheel drive, it's superior to most SUVs Negatives: - Not as comfortable as most American-built cars; can feel cramped on long trips - Front seats do not slide back far enough to give 6-footer full-extension leg room - Doesn't properly insulate from wind noise at high speeds (this was also true of our last Legacy, a 1991 model) Overall: - A very good value for a combination family/commuter/recreation vehicle - The car of choice by most Sierra range regulars, especially in the Lake Tahoe area

Just a good car.

by from TN on October 6, 2006

I like : comfort and good view and handling dislikes: average speed on highways and feel fairly vibration, from tires or engine ?

The best car I have owned

by from Millersburg, PA on February 20, 2010

I have had many Subaru's and when I lost my engine in the last one. I had to pruchase a Ford Taurus, but there was no way that this car could take the back roads and snow that I like to get into. I searched for a used Subaru wagon, a 100 mile radius. I came up with 4. The others were just like my old one but more expensive than mine was. I took a lower price one and love it. I just wish I could turn off the headlights when I just want to sit and listen to sit and listen to music. If anyone has any recommendations other than shooting them out, let me know. Proud to be an owner again.

Could not imagine to have a better car

by from on March 29, 2017

We love this car and will buy again the same. It is very good for driving on rough roads and for travel.

great famly car

by from PA on July 26, 2017

great in the snow long trips are comfortable on long trips and plenty of room to take all your stuff

Our Expert Review: 2001 Subaru Legacy