Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2003 Legacy

2003 Subaru Legacy

2003 Subaru Legacy

4.2

Have You Driven the 2003 Subaru Legacy?

Excellent for the money

by Suby driver from West Chester, PA on Sun Jan 21 2007

I bought this car with 49K on the clock and it drives/looks brand new. Coming from three used Volkswagens (unreliable, but fun to drive), I must say I am very happy with this car. It is a little under powered, but I can seat 4+ of my friends very comfortably, and it is very practical. The AWD system is very helpful in slippery conditions, and holds to the pavement superbly in the dry. I think I will be sticking with Subaru for a very long time.

Great car!

by Greatcar from VA on Tue Jul 06 2010

Great car, very dependable and durable, love mine. Don't buy a Subaru if you like to have a new car often as you won't ever have a reason to trade it...they are that good!

A very good wagon

by A satisfied Subaru owner from Andover, MA on Thu Mar 20 2008

I like this small wagon with AWD. It has enough space in the back to put our two bikes or small pieces of furniture. It is an extremely useful car and the price was okay too. It is also very reliable. I like the AWD. It seems safer and I think is safer than non-AWD vehicles. The only drawback is that while the gas mileage is okay, I would like it to be better. The next time I buy a car, hopefully not for 3 or more years yet, gas mileage will be a very important consideration.

Subaru Legacy wagon

by Retired and still kicking from Seattle, WA and Bucerias, Mexico on Thu Jun 01 2006

I have now put over 40,000 miles on this car without a problem. The car is very versatile and practical. Great for hualing. Comfortable for long trips. Seats four. I was considering a mid-sized SUV and decided that I would be a fool to give up this great car with so few miles on it. Our other car is a Miata.

Great deal

by Mtch from Richmond me on Sun Jun 23 2013

I am lovingnthis car so far. That is probably due to the wonderful service I got at Acord Auto in Richmond ME. It is a ten year old car but the mileage is low and it has new gaskets belts and the brakes had been replaced fairly recently. In my experience Japanese cars can keep trucking for hundreds of thousands of miles so buying a car with under 100k miles that has been well maintained is the best way to go. It is old and i have to say it isnt the best looking car but I have a feeling it is going to last me a long time. I put seafoam engine treatment in the gas tank which I would highly recommend for any older car. It just cleans out the engine a bit and makes it run a little smoother. I got the hatchback which is amazing and can fit a ton of stuff in the back. I will say that the boxer engine did sound a little weird to me at first but It is an overall much more efficent design and the awd makes it great for the snow. I love my subie!

NOT RELIABLE

by COAL MAN from HURRICANE WV on Fri Aug 20 2010

POWER STEERING PUMP WENT OUT AT 75000 MILES ENGINE WENT OUT AT 125000 MILES REAR WINDOW LEAKED WATER IN THE TAIL LIGHTS

Does not recommend this car!!

It needs!

by Avid car fan from New York on Sat Nov 25 2006

It Needs! More power... Performance is anemic when launched, look around and be careful pulling out! It needs! More features... One speed interminent wipers, no power seat, no extension on the window visor, poor interior lighting - no footwell lights, no heat vents or center arm rest in rear.... A nice size vechicle with AWD that has been very reliable

the legacy is a great car.

by EddieR from Milton, VT on Sun Oct 08 2017

great design and performance. I had a lot of fun with that car. It was definitely my favorite car. The all wheel drive was great. I still put winter tires on because I had to drive in all weather conditions. With snow tire on it the car was a tank in the winter. I live in Vermont.

Great at beginning then problems

by Moog Man from Denver, CO on Sun Oct 01 2017

Good and reliable at beginning then more problems then I have had with my other Subarus I had problems with starting it that cost me over a thousand dollars. Axel problems for s lot of money, and a lot of little leaks in engine that needed fixing

Owned Car for 9 Years

by florentinalola from Bettendorf, IA on Fri Mar 24 2017

I have owned my Subaru Legacy Sedan for 9 years. I have seen wear and tear on the vehicle. The brakes have lasted pretty long. I only had to replace them 2 years ago. The back breaks will be replaced in the near future. The exhaust is annoying as it rattles and the windows let wind noise in. This is a defect in the car. I have a person that does a regular oil change on it. They have stated that the oil is leaking badly. It smells like tires. I think this is because the vehicle is old. I have less than 100,000 miles on it. I have gotten tires two times and tires are pretty cheap to find for this vehicle. Customer Service at any Subaru dealership is outstanding. They do not treat any car owner different. There is wear and tear on the vehicle inside but it looks good for being 14 years old. It is harder to clean. It drives nice in the rain or snow. Midwest winters can be harsh and I have not seen (cross my fingers, knock on wood) rust on any of the body.

1 2