2009 Tribeca

4.6 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Well built, nimble footed yet practical-Tribeca

by Subie Fan from Pleasanton, CA on October 13, 2009

We liked Tribeca from outside when we saw it first. Although the lines and form don't make it stand out in the crowd, it is an improvement over the original exterior styling of B9 Tribeca. A slightly larger rear hatch glass will improve the rear view while driving. Interior styling - The wraparound dashboard comes close to many luxury vehicles I saw while shopping. The leather accomodations are well matched with the dashboard craftsmanship and seems to fill the interior with rich ambience specially in the night. Thanks to its 256 HP 6 cylinder engine and a well matched 5-speed transmission, Tribeca is a joy to drive while merging into freeways, changing lanes and passing traffic. It always seems to have reserve power at any speed. The performance is smooth and linear, expected of a 6 cylinder. All of this without the need for premium gasoline! And add to that the sports mode or manual mode of transmission available for the more engaged driver! We didn't find a significant drop in performance when we had 5 people in Tribeca which was a little surprising. The Tribeca has a solid feel on the freeway. It feels nimble and hugs the road fairly well for a car of its size and height even on winding hilly raods probably because of its legendary AWD. The ride is comfortable and the steering has the right feel and feedback. Although the engine performs well, I would like to see improved mileage from this Subaru engine in later models. The rear seats slide back and forth to make room for varying sizes of passengers -we found it has ample space for most people. The third row seats are meant for young kids or small people although with second row seats moved forward, smaller adults can squeeze in on shorter trips. Redesigned 3rd row seats to fit adults of average size can turn Tribeca into another Subie that will sell itself. For anyone looking for a 5 seater SUV alternative with 5 star crash ratings, and is looking for performance, handling, reliability and AWD confidence, this is a car you must look at.

Best bet for the money

by subie from on February 9, 2010

I LOVE my Tribeca. We drove the Pilot and MDX. We didn't bother with the Highlander because even the top model didn't have the features of the others. The Pilot was gutless and the MDX wasn't worth the price compared to the Subaru. We have ALL the features of the MDX except remote hatch and bluetooth, for $15,000 less. This car is well worth the money and handles like a dream.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Good car, not good third row

by new found subbie lover from Va on August 21, 2009

we bought a new subaru tribeca and love it. the 3.6 is powerful and efficient (26 highway) the cock pit is stunning, very stylish and the second row is very comfy but the third row is not usable in any way possible. the only reason we got one with a third row is because they only had 3 rows out of all the ones they had. the leather is very soft and comfy, the seats are lazy boy competition and its really sporty for how big it is. the car has great rear visibility and the nav system is easy to use but a bit far from the driver. Although im usually an american car driver this subaru suprised me enough to get it instead of they new equinox.

322,000 miles and still runs well

by AJK from Denver, Co on March 4, 2017

My Tribeca has over 320k miles after buying the car at 15k miles and is still driving well on the original engine and transmission. It's always driven with great acceleration and power, and I drive all the time up mountain passes in Colorado.

Underated Value by experts who don't know anything

by glassm from Rural Tennessee on August 18, 2009

I drove many SUV's and compared them in my search for the perfect SUV. I feel that the Tribeca has been given a bum rapp. I drove the following vehicles: Toyota Highlander (too rough and truck like). I drove the Honda Pilot- too big, and not agile on its feet. I drove the Murano. It was plushy comfort, but felt too loosey goosey. The Tribeca I bought, and it was a lot better than any others I could have tried for the money. Try it - You may be getting the wrong ino from the experts!!

Right-sized

by Broken back from Minot, ND on November 29, 2015

I am currently looking for a new vehicle to replace my 2009 Subaru Tribeca. Nevertheless, whatever I have driven doesn't measure-up to my old Tribeca. With over 100,000 miles on it.....it still drives like new. However, I am curious about the longevity of this vehicle. Could someone comment, if they have one with more than 200,000 miles on it.

Adventure on Wheels

by Sunnyjc from Pittsburgh, PA on June 21, 2017

We drove this car across the country with two kids int he back and it was a great companion. We never worried and felt safe and comfortable the whole trip. Performance is great and the ride is smooth and the cargo space is huge. Acceleration is responsive and brakes are smooth. It is great in the snow!! We are skiers and never got stuck or even worried about getting stuck.

Impressive and responsive

by Overlooked Vehicle from Knasas on September 7, 2011

Had been test driving several small to mid sized SUVs. Including RDX, Infinti EX, Equinox, Escape, Murano, Highlander, even drove a couple Jeeps, etc. And while these had some great features, the Tribeca just had it all together. Responsive handling and acceleration, cornering was impressive, a lot of that I am sure coming from the balanced boxer engine. Front seat was very comfortable, back seat the same if you are not overly tall. The third seat has a lot to be desired. The material's quality has to rate with the best, supple seats, quality leather. A very good sound system too. My does not have Nav or DVDs but does have a BOSE. Not the easiest to see out of in all directions, but I feel one can learn how to get the best views in short time. Subarus have exceptional reliability. I owned a Forester in the passed that had over 220,000 with no major events. I think many people, whatever the age group, will find this a very pleasing vehicle. The styling is nothing dramatic, but it grows on you. If Subaru can get the mileage up to the 25-26 range, that would be excellent. Maybe we will see their CVT in this vehicle in the next couple years as they are putting the CVT in the Impreza for 2012, expecting MPGs of 35. If you are considering a mid-larger SUV, check this one out. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

Most Underrated SUV On The Market

by Remagen from Lancaster, S C on July 19, 2011

Love this vehicle! The professional reviews do not do it justice. Its strongest point is its handling - lower center of gravity because of its boxer engine allows better cornering while still maintaining 8.7 inch groung clearence. Turning radius less than many smaller vehicles. Engine has very good power even at highway speeds. Interior is upscale without being overdone. Very reliable. No problems after 36,000 miles. Weakness is mileage of 16/21. I consistently get 22-23 mpg on highway. Cramped if you want seven seat capacity.

Best designed vehicle and reliable

by RDG from Ontario Canada on May 23, 2010

I tried almost all suv and when I studied the history and re-sale and drove it ,I was very impressed .I,ve been driving for 50 years and wanted the best 4x4 available .,and all reviews pointed to subaru.The thing that amazed me is the so called experts talking about the looks ,the front end ., whats with that .like you are now experts in car design ,stick to what you know ,RELIABILITY,RE_SALE,and SAFETY thats what people are looking for ,not I don,t like the looks ,please make sense

1 2