2000 Grand Vitara

$36 - $5,716  MSRP Range
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have You Driven the 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara?

Zero problems and now have 75,000 miles on it

by Sad to sell it from Colorado on Thu Jun 11 2009

Bought this car new right after graduating from college. Initially, I was hesitant to buy a Suzuki but was drawn to it purely for the very reasonable sticker price. Once I test drove it, I realized the GV offers many of the ammenities of much more expensive small SUV's without the cost. Now, 9 years and 75,000 miles later, I am preparing to trade it in for a larger vehicle for my growning family. I've gotten regular oil changes on it and new tires but otherwise it has required no other work. It has been a comfortable, 100% dependable car that I would strongly recommend to anyone looking for a small SUV.

Took every think I threw at it ^_^

by Driver of Suzuka the Deer Slayer from Amery, WI on Thu Feb 10 2011

My parents originally bought this car new and I can remember going everywhere in it. The only mechanical problem its ever had was inflicted by my father by overfilling the AC. I bought the car from them when I was 17 at 111,000 miles. I drove the thing like a boss and just cranked the RPMs on like it didn't matter. Just tore up the road. Currently has 137,000 and still purrs like a kitten. Now on to the good part... This car has survived 6 ditches, 2 deer, and a flip. Being in Wisconsin and my mother not being the best driver in the snow, she managed to put it into the ditch 4 times herself and it was always able to get out without a tow. 6 and 8 foot ditches keep in mind. After all that and many years of service, she plowed a 12 point buck at 45 MPH head on. The only think mechanical wise that got torn up was the radiator hose got cut by the fan shroud. ONLY THING. So it sat for a year while I fixed it up. New hood, new hose, and pulled the crumple zones out with a wench. I put it in the ditch twice cause I was learning to drive in the winter and I got it out both times on my own. One day in the middle of summer I ran over a deer carcass on the road. It was gross and it was a clean up job cause I actually ran it over. Nothing happened except its antlers popped a tire. Then just a few weeks ago I was forced to swerve around something that fell out of the back of a semi, and lost control because of the road not being plowed yet. Crossed the center line and did a front flip and landed on the roof... in the ditch. It wasn't just a roll, because I went from 30mph to on the roof in a second. There was no front end damage and all the windows are intact save the windshield. That car had the entire weight of itself land on the roof from an 8 foot drop going 30 mph, and the front top corner got smooshed in. I walked away from the accident and thank my Grand Vitara for that. Oh and also, if it wasn't for the broken windshield, I would have driven home. I'm just might use a wench to pull out the top and get a new windshield, just cause I can. So all and all just as the title says, this thing took every little bit of beating and is still ready for more.

Love it!

by just me from on Mon Jun 08 2009

My daughter bought her GV brand new in 2000. She put 52,000 miles on it the first year, and when she lost her job, couldn't afford it, so I took it over. I don't drive nearly as much as she does.. I've only put on 20,000 miles in the past 8 years, and other than changing the oil, I've invested very little in the car, other than keeping her clean and shiny. I love it, would recommend it, and will buy another one when the time comes.

The Best Compact SUV for the Price.

by Kiba Shiba from Rosemead CA on Thu May 01 2008

Got this Car since 36k miles, I added 30k. Took me 6 months to find a decent equipped package, luckily after a few month I gave up looking, Got this Lovely Limited Edition with All the Options. Never had a single problem. Nothing from this car ever failed me. And all I do for it is changing oil regularly, Believe it or not, this engine and transmission will last forever, Silky smooth(dead silence at idle and highway) engine even at 66k miles with well maintained all stock. I don't know why those reviewers said engine fail, did you well maintained?

Great SUV

by Zuk Owner from Indianapolis, IN on Sat Dec 20 2008

We have 2. A 2000 and a 2005. Both have been very reliable. We traded a 2000 in on the 2005. All three have held up very well. Run great in snow too!

Diappointing Experience with this car

by Boots from El Paso, Texas on Sat Nov 10 2007

Had problem with differential at 30,000 miles/ Had major engine problem at 40,000 miles. Cam tensioner failed. $900. repair cost. Suzuki refused any good will remedy or help.Will NEVER buy or recommend Suzuki vehicles to anyone I know.

Does not recommend this car!!

My GVXL has been a great vehicle. It tows well.

by Mr. Kaye from Paradise CA on Wed Apr 12 2017

I have had few repairs, get about 20 mpg, Tows trailers well, Hauls 500 lbs on hitch hauler, 4 wheels nicely, Paint stays good, has good short turn distance, has good gear ratio for starting up and climbing hills, is easy to climb in, good head height, Color, (white) is still in style, AC and heater are good.

Best bang for your buck SUV

by rajwrx from Bakersfield, California on Wed Sep 06 2017

This car was absolutely the most fun SUV I have ever driven. My 24 valve V6 Grand Vitara was a 5 speed manual with the 4wd transfer case. It stayed in 2wd most of the time and was capable of quite a bit of off roading when in in RWD. Since this car was stick and RWD it was very easy to drift and spin the rear tires. This car was able to haul a lot of cargo and people, but to cary larger items I had to fold down the rear seats. The car was overall a very reliable vehicle, but it did drip a decent amount of engine oil. Never enough to make me pour more oil in. Rain or shine this little SUV was always by my side. It handled great for what it was and could take on any little corolla or civic. This car didn't look like much but had it where it counted. I couldn't imagine driving an automatic, stick shift is the way to go in this car. These cars can be had for a very small price, but reselling them will be difficult. All in all the Suzuki Grand Vitara will not disappoint . For the price this car is the most capable on and off road vehicle!

Very solid car for it's price

by EthanStam from New York, NY on Thu Nov 16 2017

Great practical vehicle, I have not experienced any problems with it. Although it is 17 years old it runs like it's new. If you just need a car to get the job done with no hassle this is the one for you. It's not fancy, but it's reliable.

Good little car

by KT from Fairfield, MT on Mon Aug 21 2017

Currently has 203k miles on it, fixed some stuff along the way, but runs pretty good. I am glad it has 4 wheel drive, handy in the snow. Wish the heater worked better. Lightweight, so gets blown around easy in our heavy winds.

1 2

Our Take on the 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara

We panned the two-door Chevrolet Tracker convertible last fall, but suggested the four-door hardtop was sturdier, safer, quieter and comfier.

Those same attributes apply to Tracker's sibling, the Suzuki Vitara. We recently tested a fully loaded Grand Vitara Limited with the twin-cam V-6. The bottom line, with no options: A breezy $23,149, or about $5,000 more than the Tracker two-door. You, however, do have some options in this price segment.

He: I think $23,000 is still pretty reasonable for a sport-utility vehicle. I'm not so sure it's a good deal on a Grand Vitara. Yes, the four-door hardtop is, hands-down, a better vehicle in just about every way than the two-door soft-top, which starts... Read More