2009 SX4

2009 Suzuki SX4

2009 Suzuki SX4

4.2

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 2009 Suzuki SX4?

Loved It

by Marc from Portage, Michigan on Sat Feb 21 2009

I bought a brand new Suzuki SX4 in May of 2008, from the first time driving it a fell in love with it. The sound system was much more than I expected, the handling was awesome and for the price, it was worth every penny. Unfortunately, recently I was hit broad side, by a MUCH larger car and they had to total the car. So I can swear on anything that I am asked to swear on and tell you that this car is safe and the reviews given on safety are dead (no pun intended) on. As soon as I get the insurance settled, I am going back and buying myself a new one.

TREMENDOUS value

by Suzuki lover from Long Island, NY on Mon Sep 17 2012

I own 2 SX4 sedans. I bought both of them used. They are both 2009 sport models. I gave one to my daughter who travels back and forth between Long Island and Arlingtom Va. I use one everyday traveling all of Long Island, Brooklyn and Queens. We love these cars. They are comfortable and responsive. They handle beautifully and corner like cats. The car comes with a very large trunk. The seats are great. You sit up nice and high, much like you would in a small suv. One of them has an outside heated side view mirror and climate control which is very easy to use. The other one came with a built in GPS. These are not fancy cars but they come with enough goodies to make them extremely functional. So far they have been as reliable as you could hope for. No problems or issues with either one. I look forward to driving mine every day and i know my daughter feels the same way. My wife wants one for herself and if i can swing it she will have one by the end of the year. Power windows and door locks, power outside mirrors. ABS brakes and tire monitoring system included with both. Suzuki has one of the best warranties around and it is transferrabled so we got a lot of coverage even though they were both bought used. I HIGHLY recommend this vehicle!! Good safety rating with lots of airbags. Hope you found this helpful.

This is one great car! 2009 FWD SX4

by Proud owner SX4 sedan (not AWD) from Minneapolis, Mn on Thu Jan 12 2012

Ok, first the bad things, since it's such a short list: there is small problem with the tranny around 45mpr. It struggles to decide on which gear it should be in, just like the reviews said it would. I dont like that there isnt a trunk release button on the FOB - you have to use the key from the outside. And its not the best in the MN snow because it's so light. Now for all the great things - I bought this car used in 2010 with about 5000 miles on it. I stole it for 10k. I love that your butt doesnt drag on the ground when you sit in it because the seats sit up higher. I also dont have trouble getting out of it. You open the door, turn toward the door and stand up. No trying to lift you body up because your sitting down lower than your hips. The head room for my hubby who is over 6 feet is great and was the final selling point when we were comparing this to chevy cobalt. The sound system, the GPS, the room for 3 kids in the back, the gas mileage ( 26 in town-35mpg hwy) is great - but remember I dont have the AWD model either, the color of oceanmist is awesome and I get complements all the time, the trunk space is amazing, and most of all it has now been almost 2 years and a total of 50k miles and I've had no problems with it mechanically at all. It has a "growling" sound when you step on the gas and I find that to be cool, rather than a downfall. This is one great car and I hope it last me for 250k!

Great little car

by Cash for Clunkers bargain from Maine on Wed Dec 21 2011

I traded in a Land Rover Discovery for this car (Cash for Clunkers). I love it! Yes, the gas tank is small, interior noise level is relatively high, and the mpg is not great (I average 27 mpg), but for what you pay for, this is a great little car. Lots of interior room, great handling, slow to accelerate but steady and dependable. Not a lot of people have them so it generates some attention. I have a lot of sporting gear and it holds my bikes, skis, saddles, etc. It's great for traveling to triathlon competitions and you can park it pretty much anywhere. It also ROCKS in the snow! As good as my old Land Rover, if you can believe that. Because of the 4WD it's heavy, but that contributes to the great all weather performance. Love the sound system (geared toward the front passengers only). My bright red little Suzuki is just so cool. I'm a happy customer.

The most awesome car I have found

by Willie from Houston, Tx on Fri Apr 05 2013

I have never known Suzuki as a car company but this is an awesome automotive vehicle. The SX4 sport gets such better gas mileage than previously owned vehicles & will probably be a well thought of company @ my next vehicle purchase..

Good car for around town

by Oregon Redneck from Salem, OR on Wed Apr 02 2014

I bought mine used with about 30K on odometer in 2012. Its now April 2014 and have 95K on it (commuted lots, now its a intown car for my wife) I have done all basic maintenance more so I know it was done including Plugs, coolant, air filter, and both brakes (front and rear). It has been great for intown other than the mileage and with the small tank it gets filled up every week. Love all the power accessories and a fairly inexpensive car. Great for intown driving as a trip from Portland to Seattle was getting uncomfortable on the legs for both of us in the car.

GREAT CAR

by bsedwebt from Charlottesville, VA on Mon Jun 14 2010

I have 2 SX4's - 2007 and 2009 Crossover AWD automatics with the touring package (loaded). I cannot say enough about how good a value they are. The blizzards of 09-10 did not stop me at all - these little SUV's inspire confidence in all weather. They handle so well and stop on a dime. I can't help but smile everytime I drive even though it has been 3 1/2 years since first buying one. They are really nimble and can park and do a U turn anywhere! I am still suprised how much can be fit in the back and the roof rack works great with the crossbars for a canoe. I have gotten as high as 35mpg highway and I have seen as low as 25mpg in normal driving for an average of 29mpg overall for the past 60k miles.

Just OK

by Average Guy from Chicago, IL on Fri Jan 08 2010

I have own the 2009 SX4 Crossover, Touring. Overall and so far, it seems to be a well made car, but it lacks a few small things to make it a great car. The up side is, of course, is the AWD, Navi, heated seats and low price point. It drives very well and has enough power for its size. It?s a little noisy, but not too bad. The stereo is just OK. IPOD connector is not standard. It's a nice looking hatchback, kind of like a small SUV. The down side is fuel economy, small gas tank, and low brand recognition in the USA car market. It needs to be emphasized that I average about 21 mpg in normal suburban driving. I can only go about 190 miles and I'm on empty, not fun. The front seats are fine and comfortable. The back seats are ok for kids but a little tight for tall adults. The leg room in the front is not long enough to stretch out the left leg while driving long distance. No trunk release. Again, these are just some small things that would have made this a great car. If you are looking to get AWD and some nice "perks" from a hatchback, this is a good deal for the price; otherwise you may be happier with another brand. I hope this helps.

Does not recommend this car!!

Love my little 'Zuki!

by 'Zuki Owner from Wyoming, USA on Mon Oct 04 2010

I have a pearl black AWD "Touring Edition" SX4 with everything: navigation system, six disc changer, fog lights, heated seats, alloy wheels, dark tint, etc. I absolutely love it! I didn't buy it brand new. I bought it with 6,000 miles on it, but that's still brand new to me! It's been a great little car so far, but I've only had it for a few weeks. The gas mileage isn't nearly as good as advertised, but I'm hoping that'll get better. Right now, I'm averaging 24-25 MPG, and 90% of my driving is done on the highway/freeway. One of the main reasons I bought the SX4 was because it's supposed to get excellent gas mileage for an AWD. So, that's disappointing so far, but hopefully it'll get better as I said, and otherwise I love pretty much everything about my little 'Zuki! I'm interested to see how it'll do during the winter, though. I live in Wyoming, and we get an obscene amount of snow, so I really hope it won't let me down!

Not that well built

by HotHatcher from Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Fri Nov 19 2010

So I've had this car for almost a year and a half. I'm currently at 27,500 miles and am somewhat pleased with it. However, it has many quirks: - when it's around 40 F or below the power steering whines like crazy at city driving speeds. (Had dealer look at but they did not resolve, they said it was normal) - power window motors are weak and slow. - fabric on the seats seperate from the seats (the part that holds the fabric on keeps slipping out from under the seat) - I have to change my brakes already at 27k miles. - the engine has developed a suspicious tick when engine braking between 2k and 1500 rpm when cold. (getting checked out, but I doubt they will resolve it). Other than that, the car is great to drive and handles the snow like a champ. It's comfortable to be in and has loads of head room (I'm 6'4"). I definitely like the looks of it although it seems to be an acquired taste for some. Oh, and since you sit higher in the car you feel like you're driving an SUV....but get around 30mpg instead :) In the end, I'm becoming nervous about all these quirks. And since there aren't many Suzuki dealerships around I'm afraid that I'm not going to find a good one that can help me out with warranty issues without giving me a hard time about it. So buyer beware...

Does not recommend this car!!

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2009 Suzuki SX4

Editor's note: This review was written in October 2007 about the 2008 Suzuki SX4 Sport. For 2009, a navigation system is newly standard. To see what's new for 2009, click here, or check out a side-by-side comparison of the two model years.

Just like the annoying kid from high school who did every extra credit assignment possible, cars can be overachievers, too. That's the case with the SX4 Sport (the overachieving part, mind you, not the annoying one). It's a new front-wheel-drive compact sedan that's related to Suzuki's all-wheel-drive SX4 Crossover hatchback, and its combination of value and sportiness make it an attractive entry in the crowded small-car segment.

Distinctive Looks