2001 Vitara

2001 Suzuki Vitara

2001 Suzuki Vitara

4.3

Have You Driven the 2001 Suzuki Vitara?

Very Dependable

by Jalone from Nashville, TN on Fri Apr 30 2010

I bought my 2001 Vitara in late 2000 with 7 miles on it. I ended up putting over 175k miles on it with no problems whatsoever. I kept the oil changed every 3000 miles but that's about all the upkeep I did to it. Delievered pizza in it for over 5 years and it still runs strong. I was really hard on it and it never failed to start. VERY reliable car. I only sold it because I promised myself after I graduated college I'd buy myself something new. Pros: Very reliable. Great turning radius. Can take a beating and keep going. Cons: Not much pick up in the 4 cylindar engine. Not the prettiest car in the world.

Great, great, G-R-E-A-T car

by OVUgirl from Thornton, CO on Mon Sep 20 2010

My '99 Chevy Tracker (Suzuki Vitara with a Chevy nameplate) was just totalled in a multi-car wreck in Denver. My replacement car will ONLY be a Vitara or Tracker! This little SUV is SO fun to drive. Yes, it rides rougher than a car, and that is because it is built on a truck frame unlike other SUVs which are just cars with a different body. In West Virginia where the sport of "muddin'" is popular, nothing, absolutley nothing beats Trackers or Vitara's off road. And in snow - well, put a set of studded snow tires on this sweetie and it will take you anywhere!!!

Great Little Zook

by Ferelkid from Long Island, NY on Tue Jun 27 2017

Bought this truck used with about 19k miles and sold it with 115k. This truck chassis SUV is tough and rides like a truck. The 2.0 liter 4 cylinder engine was ample but more HP is always welcome. This little Rhino (What they are called in Europe), has taken me anywhere I wanted to go. Snow, sand and trails were all welcome challenges and I always felt in control. The 5 speed transmission was nice and still had the original clutch when I sold it. The turning radius was the best in any car I've owned. The 2 door Vitara JLX 2 piece soft-top was a welcome bonus in the summer and was easy to use. I enjoyed this vehicle very much over the decade I had it and still think about it. The only reason I sold it was because of the size of it. The interior size was comparable to my old jeep Wrangler. I just needed something bigger.

HAVE KEEP IT LONGER THAN ANY OTHER CAR

by luvitaR from WILMINGTON, DE on Fri Apr 27 2012

BOUGHT MY 2001 VITARA IN MARCH OF 2002 WITH 9K MILES ON IT, I LIVED IN MOVED TO DC AND IT MADE IT MUCH EASIER TO PARK, i BOUGHT IT BECAUSE IT WAS THE MOST AFFORDABLE CONVIRTABLE I COULD FIND AND LIKE THAT IT SITS HIGHER THAN A SEDAN. I REPLACED MY SOFT TOP WITH A REMOVABLE HARD TOP, LIVING IN THE CITY IS NO GREAT TO HAVE A BACK WINDOW U CAN UNZIP THE FRONT PIECE OF THE HARD TOP IS EASY TO REMOVE AND FITS IN THE BACK SEAT CONFORTABLY, FROM 1981 TO 2002 I HADE 11 DIFFERENT CARS AND 09 WERE NEW CARS -AND THE DEPRECIATION WAS KILLING ME, MY VITARA WAS A GREAT VALUE, SINCE I HAVE HAD IT FOR 10 YEARS NOW-AROUND 2006 I DID HAVE TO REPLACE SENSOR FOR ABOUT $500, BUT OTHER THAN THAT ALL GOOD- I AM THINKING ABOUT SHOPPING FOR A NEW CAR-BUTi STILL MIGHT KEEP THE VITARA AS WELL SINCED i AM SURE THAT IT IS WORTH MORE TO ME THAN AS A TRADE IN...

more trouble. have had this car 3 years in march

by lorast from kansas city, mo on Mon Jan 17 2011

i read with interest the other reviews. i was not so lucky with my vitara. i bought it pre-owned and have had several problems. expensive ones. it does not get as good of gas mileage as listed. i think it is a good car for around town but not for long trips. i do like that the seats fold down in the back. i would not buy one again and i would not recommend it to anyone. my 3 previous cars, dodge, plymouth and chevy all performed much better and i had them much longer before i had problems.

Does not recommend this car!!

All hail the great Zook!!

by Ferrel from Eastern New York on Fri Dec 06 2013

I have owned my 2001 Suzuki Vitara JLX convertible for over 10 years with NO problems. This has probably been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Dollar for dollar I don't think you can find a better valued 4x4. And it is a REAL 4x4 with high and low gearing. Not a car wanna be like the CRV's and Rav4's which are built on civic or corrolla frames. The Zook is built on a truck framed which is boxed and can take some real punishment. I have taken my vehicle off road in the P.A woods and on the east coast beaches of N.Y. with no problems. I have kept up with jeeps and gotten into places the big SUV's would not dare. It doesn't have the ground clearance of the Jeeps or the power, but I have never been stuck and have passed many AWD vehicles in the harsh winter snows of the east coast. It is not the most comfortable vehicle, but it has all the creature comforts I need. If you like luxury, then this is not the car for you, but if you want an honest reliable vehicle, you can't go wrong the the mighty ZOOK.

Our Take on the 2001 Suzuki Vitara

Your daughter would love the Suzuki Vitara two-door - it's the quintessence of cute. I suspect it's too cute by half for most boys, and most grownups would feel a bit silly in it. Suzuki, though it's Japan's smallest automaker, has a dazzling array of models and variations thereof, especially in those lines that are built in North America, as Vitara is (in Ingersoll, Ontario).

The pocket-sized Vitara two-door is their smallest mini-ute, and it's the one with a soft top. The four-door Vitara has a steel roof, as does the more opulent Grand Vitara. This is obviously a case where a spirit of fun prevails over such old-fogey considerations as practicality and safety.

Still, I question whether any... Read More