1996 4Runner

1996 Toyota 4Runner

$299 - $8,339  MSRP Range
1996 Toyota 4Runner

5 out of 5 stars Performance

Have you driven the 1996 Toyota 4Runner?

What can I say, it's a Toyota!

by Family Man from Colorado Springs, CO on Sun Jan 01 2012

Our 4Runner was bought in 2000. My wife, then my girlfriend was looking for a replacement for her increasingly expensive GMC Jimmy. I had an '86 Toyota pickup so I suggested that she perhaps look into a 4Runner since she wanted a SUV not a truck. She found one that she like the look of and the price was right. So, she learned to drive stick and the rest is history. We drove away from our wedding reception in it. We have driven it across country to see my grandfather for the last time. We drove it down to and through the Grand Canyon for our 5th anniversary. We drove our first daughter home from the hospital home in the back of it. I have taken it in the mountains to go shooting with friends and my dad. As you can tell our 4Runner, Maggie as she's known to us has become part of our family. Normally I steer clear of vehicles that are the first year body styles since there generally have some kinks and quirks to work out. This was an unfounded concern with the '96 4runner. My only gripe with this vehicle is the ridiculous placement of the cup holder. The only place that would have been worse would have been on the steering wheel itself. This vehicle has never left her stranded with our children in the cold Colorado weather. The 4Runner does ride like a truck, but that is because it IS a truck. It will take you where you want to go and more importantly back. Our 4Runner has taken us on adventures to Jackson Hole WY several times, Sedona AZ, Las Vegas, Santa Fe, and countless trips in the mountains and through many snow storms.

Excellent 1996 4 Runner

by Porkroll2131 from Quakertown PA on Tue Jul 24 2012

I purchased this vehicle several years ago with 90K on it - I currently have 275K on the vehicle. The 4 Runner is a 5 speed, I replaced the clutch at 189K and the only reason I had to replace it was that I taught my first two kids how to drive a stick - had I been the only drive I most likely would still be on the same clutch!!! The vehicle is built like a tank - and extremely reliable - highly recommended.

Original Owner of '96 4Runner

by JTB from Chicago,IL on Mon Feb 23 2015

I purchased this SR5 4x2 new in 1996. 19 years later with 181,000 miles it still runs like the day I took delivery of it at the dealer. It has minor rust around the windshield, otherwise the body and the interior are in phenominal condition- never been in an accident. As others have said, it runs and runs and runs. An incredibly well built, dependable truck. Although it is 19 years old, I wouldn't think twice about driving it across the country. The Totota dealer has told me used 4Runners aren't often seen on their lots because owners infrequently trade them in due to their reliability. After driving one for so long, I know what they mean.

20+ years old and love it

by Father of 3 teens from Charlotte, NC on Thu May 25 2017

This is my 2nd 4Runner. And after buying a 2000 several years ago, I did not hesitate to pick up an even older 1996. These things are tanks that keep on going, are easy to find parts for, and great for my teenage drivers to see out of and maneuver.

It's a Toyota

by JR from Chicago, IL on Fri Feb 17 2017

Have driven 4Runner for 3 years with only routine maintenance required. Transmission & engine are solid. Vehicle drives like it has 40k miles on it.

Best vehicle I have ever owned

by Slip from Detroit on Sun May 05 2013

Run and Runs and keeps on Running! I own a Posche & Mercedes but the least trouble I have is with th3 4runner with 225k miles .

4Running

by RJ from on Tue Mar 14 2017

Exceptional used vehicle that runs like new with only routine maintenance required. Also brakes seem to last forever on these suvs.

Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

by Michelle T. from Olympia on Thu Sep 14 2017

This vehicle met all of my needs. Even after 21 years it runs perfectly. You just can't go wrong with a Toyota!

Our Take on the 1996 Toyota 4Runner

This is the third time that Toyota Motor Corp. has introduced a sport-utility vehicle, and each time seems to be an improvement over the last.

The company is introducing its third generation of sport-utility vehicles: The 1996 Toyota 4Runner. This completely redesigned SUV features a new engine, chassis, interior and exterior styling and enhanced safety equipment.

That constitutes a pretty tall order by anyone's standards, but Toyota has accomplished its goal by creating a vehicle that does not share either the sheet metal or chassis with Toyota's compact pickup trucks.

The 4Runner comes in two series, a base SR5 and a Limited, with both models offering two- and four-wheel drive configurations. Obviously... Read More