1999 4Runner

1999 Toyota 4Runner

$162 - $9,730  MSRP Range

Have You Driven the 1999 Toyota 4Runner?

Love My Grandma

by Kelly G from Kill Devil Hills, NC on Wed Nov 03 2010

My husband bought me a '99 4 Runner in 2007 when we moved to the Northwest. At first I was like you bought me an old vehicle.....but after driving it the first time I was in LOVE!! I lovingly refer to it as the Grandma now, but it doesn't act like either one of my grandmas'. This vehicle can fit 31" off road tires and not have any rubbing, no lifts involved, completely stock. Gets the same gas mileage as a new SUV, but without the huge payment.

Awesome SUV

by DAWW71 from Texas on Sun Jan 30 2011

Bought my plain vanilla white 4-runner in 2003. Have only 105,000 on it, but it's been to CA three times, twice pulling a 12 foot trailer (in 2006 and 2010). It has held up really well. Only an oil change every now and then. Truly a reliable SUV. Interior looks great still and exterior looks great. Wonderful SUV!!

Can't Give it Up

by 4Runner Junky from Missouri on Tue Aug 21 2012

I bought my 99 4Runner new in 1999 and intended to keep it for ten years. It is now almost 13 years later and at 163,000 miles is still going strong. My husband thinks I have had this car long enough and we have looked at other vehicles over the years, but I can't find anything that I like better than my 4Runner. Besides that, it still runs like a top and is still very good looking. This car has never let me down and has only required routine maintenance through the years. Besides the new ones don't have the wood grain or sophisticated finishes that the old ones have. I might be tempted to get a new one if they ever come out with a dash that is something other than black. Love my 4Runner, it's almost like a pet.

Great SUV

by SUV Guy from Northern Virginia on Fri Feb 11 2011

I bought my 99' Limited 4WD 4Runnerin 2002 and have had it ever since. It now has 169,000 miles on it and I plan to make the 200k Toyota club. I've used it for day to day driving, hauling firewood, camping and some light 4 wheeling at G. Wash. Nat. Forest. For a 5,250 lb. net weight SUV an aver. 18 MPG is not bad. Of all the cars I've owned this is the most reliable vehicle. These things are still going for $8 - $11k even with 150k + miles on it. Highly recommend this vehicle!

Uses car for Off-roading

Can't wear it out!

by Truck believer from Suburban Philadelphia on Sun Jan 18 2015

I purchased my '99 4Runner Limited in 2009 with about 84,000 miles. Six years later, now have 154,000. Have used it for daily driving, long distance trips (2+ hours), helping to move kids to schools/apartments, haul stuff from Home Depot, in inclement weather, in city and highway driving. Other than routine maintenance, and replacing timing belt, gaskets and other necessary repairs associated with a vehicle of its age, haven't had to put big bucks into it. The only additional costs come with filling it with gas. Get about 15 mpg in city and 18 on highway. That's a bit frustrating when my wife gets 32-34 mpg in her new diesel BMW X3. But what the heck, it's a truck! It has worn well. A couple of self-imposed bumps on the exterior and a paint stain in the interior, but really still looks good for a 16 year old truck. Keep trying to find a way to wear it out so I can get rid of it and get a more economical truck, but it won't let me. Guess I'll have it for another six years.....at least!

Car recently saved my life

by Lucky to be alive from on Wed Jun 16 2010

I overcorrected my 1999 limited 4Runner once i hit a curb and rolled it three times; no messing around, just a freak accident. Supposevly i was lucky to be driving it because they have a special roll bar, in case it flips. Good thing is, it held up admirably, bad thing is, it flipped.

Oldie but a goodie

by Me from USA on Wed Mar 18 2015

Have the 99 SR5. Love it like a pet. Yep, I've had some repai bills along the way, but that is to be expected with any car. Has over 200K now, but it's still running strong (knock on wood.) On it's third timing belt. All things age, but when this breaks I'll just put new right back into it and keep it running. It's soooo much better than anything new out there. They just don't build vehicles this good anymore.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Very Reliable Good Looking Car

by Tom from Dallas, Texas on Tue Feb 13 2007

I have had a 99 4Runner Limited as a second car for 7 years...I have never once had a problem with it and still think it is one of the best looking SUVs on the road. I couldn't be happier with the value and reliability.

Please, let it last forever

by 4Runner Fan from Houston, Texas on Mon Jan 02 2012

I bought this truck new and now have 185K miles on it. It needed a new rear end, a clutch and a water pump along the way. Just routine stuff. This is the finest vehicle I have ever owned (which may something about my taste.) I am not a religious person but do pray that it will last forever.

One great truck

by Truck from Rossville, GA on Sat Jun 10 2006

This truck needs to be named the top truck of the year. I have a 1999 4runner I just purchased and it is excellent. I have very little complaints at all. First the good things. It's a toyota, you can't go wrong with a toyota. They are all known for their reliability and longevity. The engine is strong and works really hard for you in those trying times of slow moving traffic. Now it's no porcshe, but it does have a little getty up in it. The inside is nicely designed and well put together. I have cloth in mine, and the tinted windows helps protect against the sun. The only negative is the new bubmper they put on it, it looks like a mules nose. Other than that, i am very pleased about my truck, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend.

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 1999 Toyota 4Runner

On second thought . . .

When last we visited the Toyota 4Runner sport-utility vehicle it was just being introduced as a redesigned 1996 model.

Loved it. A worthy and much-lower-cost alternative to the much larger Lexus LX450 (which has since become the LX470), we said at the time.

But that was then and this is now, and once again we've tested the 4Runner, this time the 1999 base four-wheel-drive version with its 2.7-liter, 150-horsepower 4-cylinder... Read More