Model Details

2001 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews

Average based on 13 reviews

Top quality truck

by from scranton,pa on September 27, 2010

I have a 2001 with 117,000 with no problems and never heard of any other owners with ones either. just make sure you have the rear axle breather vents checked so there not blocked. mine were and forced the rear axle seals to leak and my back drum brakes were sticking. the job to replace the seals and new back shoes was almost 500 dollars and could have been avoided if i knew to have the vents checked and replaced the vents for 50 dollars

2001 Toyota 4Runner

by from Mesa, AZ on February 22, 2011

Fantastic vehicle. 2001 4Runner Limited. Only knock (for some) is a pretty rough ride...but if you like 4Runners you're used to a tight suspension. Very rugged. V-6 is a little underpowered in some highway situations, but is extremely reliable. Limited package is fantastic. Toyota leather interior is great. Very tough and easy to clean....but looks great. Found exactly what I was looking for on Cars.com.

Great Buy

by from Jacksonville, Fl on December 18, 2010

I bought used with 85K miles and now has 131K. Still runs great. No problems. If you do the normal maintenance, this car will run like a champ.

this one

by from Arnold, MD on February 18, 2007

Great truck! I couldn't be happier. I bought used and have owned for 1 year. Am getting better gas milage than claimed. Decent power and wonderful offroad.

Does very well what it is designed to do

by from NW British Columbia on October 6, 2007

We bought this vehicle used - 35,000 km. The odometer now reads 125,000. I have never had a problem with the vehicle and, besides normal maintenance, has not seen a mechanics wrench. Handles inclement weather very well with the stability contol and all wheel drive features. Excellent off-roader, stable towing platform. A secure, safe, fun to drive vehicle.

4runner

by from otis or on November 8, 2011

I bought a great low mile 01 4runner (43000 miles) it is proving to be everything I hoped it would be. Absolutely reliable,good gas milage(20+), quite, comfortable, good power, tows my 1200 pound boat with no problems. The more I drive this truck the more things Ilike about it. I find this vehical to be a great value for the money.

Great power, fun to drive

by from New Hampshire on April 2, 2007

I got mine used, has 100k and I just replaced all the shocks, tires and front windshield (pitted). Had a problem with the hood not wanting to catch when it was shut. Easy fix with some WD-40. I have the 4.7 V8 it is very quick and goes down the highway nice.

Toyotas best car the 2001 4runner

by from LA on December 23, 2012

I feel the 4 runner peaked with overall quality c the 2001 4 runner mechanically and cosmetically. Its the most reliable and fun to drive suv available. Especially the LIMITED

Most reliable car/SUV I have ever owned

by from Houston on May 17, 2012

I rated only 4 Stars for comfort since the ride quality is truck-like (of course it has the truck chassis). Apart from that this is undoubtedly the most reliable car/SUV I ever owned. I heard that 2001 was the last Japan-assembled model. All you would need to do is to change engine oil regularly. In one of the 4runner forums I found a guy driving this at 300,000+ miles without a single problem. Very reliable vehicle if you can put up with slightly rough ride.

Great All-Purpose Vehicle

by from North Carolina on July 30, 2008

Toyota trucks are notoriously tough. Just watch TopGear and see how they tried to kill a Toyo pickup (and failed, even though the body was shot). I bought mine knowing I could count on seeing the odo cross 200k without much fuss. I also need a durable off-roader for my activities on NC's barrier islands. Deep sand driving is not for your mom's crossover! This rig has never failed on-road or off. Best features have been high-quality accessories including multi-mode 4wd, leather, stereo, climate, and sunroof. Even gas mileage is tolerable (22hwy/17city). Handling is par for an off-roader, poor for those who like soft car rides.