2008 4Runner

2008 Toyota 4Runner

2008 Toyota 4Runner

Have You Driven the 2008 Toyota 4Runner?

New with Toyota....

by coconutbean from Upstate NY on Tue Jul 28 2009

I just purchase an '08 4Runner with a mere 15,000 miles (hardly broken in!) I traded in a '05 Pathfinder, which I bought new and truly enjoyed for the three plus years I owned it. This is my first 4Runner and so far I'm impressed. There is quite a bit more room in the 4Runner compared to the Pathfinder. The 4Runner is more plush and drives more like a car. This was something I wasn't sure I'd like because I actually enjoyed the trucky feeling of the Pathfinder. However, in just one short week I'm already loving my new ride! I was looking for something that would tow my 4500 lb camper without any issues...so I did opt for the V8, which is rated at 7000 lbs for 4X4 (althought the V6 is rated for 5000 lbs) but I figured the 8 would be better for more frequent trips. The 4Runner came with a sunroof, 17" tires and radio controls on the steering wheel...all options that I would have wanted if I bought it brand new. It also came equipped with power seats, however, they are not memory - I wish they were because I'm fairly short and my husband is quite tall, so the manual seats or memory would have probably been better in this case, but I'm not complaining, at lease we can adjust the seat height as well. We also have two Labrador's who love their rides and the back has plenty of room for them especially with the rear seat down...it is huge and lays flat (no third row seat). They are enjoying their new ride too! I'm looking forward to owning my 4Runner for quite a long time...

Great Car-- My 4th 4Runner

by Happy Camper from Nebraska/Colorado on Mon Feb 13 2012

I have had 4Runners for the last 25 years and this is my fourth. It seems to be a real improvement over my 2001 which had 212,000 miles and was very very dependable. This one has some "big tires" to fill. So far after 4,000 miles it is a fine car. Better gas milage and better acceleration. I hope to keep it a long time. I would recommend it without reservation.

4Runner - Love It!

by 4Runner New Owner from Cincinnati, Ohio on Mon Dec 05 2011

Bought a used 2008 4Runner in Sept. 2011. Really love the car. Joined a forum of other owners, put a small lift kit on it for $79. The original Dunlop tires are a little hard, but will replace them with Michelins next year. That's the only thing I dinged the vehicle on. Built like a tank, very reliable. Had it inspected by Toyota before and after purchsing, no issues. Learning to do all my own maintenance. Vehicle is easy to work on. Love it, will take us on retirment outr West.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

I have a 2006 and a 2008 4 Runner.

by MANUEL ROA from Boca Raton, Fl on Sat Feb 05 2011

Both cars are amazing...comfortable, very efficient. For the 2006 I had to invest money buying the firs part at 80k miles and it was not even something damaged, it was the pads for the brakes...it is amazing...nothing is wrong with this car....it gives me 20 miles per gallon which is not bad for a car like this. I am very happy with both...

Great Value

by KC-Lynn from Lynn on Tue Jan 06 2009

I've done a ton of research before looking at this car. To get this vehicle around 30k is a absolute steal. Very reliable, solid performance, roomy interior.... I've owned a Jeep Cherokee the past 13 years and I paid about 20k for it way back then... Don't get me wrong, the Jeep 6cyl is as reliable as they come and it's great in the snow, but it feels like you're driving a car in the 4 Runner. Those of you who have owned a Jeep know what I'm talking about, it's like riding a go cart with no shocks. The only complaint I have with the 4 Runner is the MPG, you'd think Toyota would have it up around 20city 24HW by now.

very happy

by Luka from Washington state on Mon Jun 30 2008

The 4runner is timeless. I did alot of research before purchase. Other vehicles offer more gadgets, but so does the limited. I am confident it will outlast others. I love driving it and the seats are very comfortable.

Comfortable, nice handling SUV

by Toyota fan from Wilmette, IL on Thu Apr 03 2008

This car is a pleasure to drive and is very comfortable, especially for long hauls. We recently took a long family trip through the mountains, and it handled all conditions great and had good acceleration and control through the climbs and descents. Fuel consumption is OK for an SUV -- not great but not a huge hog.

2008 Toyota 4Runner Sport V8

by r1moore from Houston, TX on Sat Apr 15 2017

I've had many Toyota's', Lexus', BMW's', even a few Ford's and a Chevy and the 2008 4Runner is the most reliable car I've ever owned. It currently has 164,000 miles on it (all of them my miles) and it would easily go another 200,000 without much need of anything. I've only noticed two very slight drawbacks, one is the XREAS system in that if (well when really) it develops a leak in one shock the entire system has to be replaced because there is no authorized refill procedure for the oil in the lines and air in the system is just dangerous. The other slight drawback has two parts both related to the engine. Don't get me wrong, the engine is bulletproof as long as it remains unmodified but for a V8 is is a little light on horsepower at 235. The other part of the engine drawback is with the exhaust manifolds. Because of the relative small space in the engine compartment the manifold ports had to be designed to have very quick bends off the block plate and this causes stress cracking at the welds. No big deal and no reduction in HP but under heavy load it will have a "ticking" noise come from the engine compartment. All told, I'd buy another any day.

Toyota 4 Runners are awesome

by Valerie C from Sacramento, CA on Fri Dec 15 2017

I replaced my 1998 Toyota 4 Runner manual shift because I thought I should now drive an automatic. It had 425,000 miles on the original engine. I bought this 2008 4 Runner. It is nice to have an automatic. Such a great car and I love the style.

Best Car I've Ever Had

by Randogg from Houston, TX on Tue May 09 2017

Have the rare V8 Sport Edition with the even more rare Shadow Mica color and it's a great SUV. We tow our boat around with it and you can't even tell the boat is there, just pulls it along with no problems. Suspension is awesome, soft enough for comfort but reactive enough so it doesn't feel like it's rolling. Has to do with the X-REAS system for sure. I'd buy another without even thinking about it!

1 2 3 4 5 6

Our Take on the 2008 Toyota 4Runner

4Runner is a Tough-Looking SUV That Can Handle the Kids, Too

Overview

The 2008 Toyota 4Runner is a seriously cool truck. It's a testosterone-loaded, V-8, 4x4 super truck that just happens to work pretty darn well as a kid-hauler. Just because something can tow 7,300 pounds doesn't mean it can handle my boys, but this SUV wrangles both with authority. And as an added bonus, it makes Mom look tough.

Living with the 4Runner is kind of a power trip. Stepping on the gas produces a muted growl and powerful launch; it's not super quiet, but it's not obnoxiously loud either. The V-8 engine handles hills without a hitch and hauls more than I would ever care to load into an SUV. Turns and curves are handled well... Read More