2002 Avalon

4.7 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.8 out of 5 starsReliability

another solid toyota

by snowbird from Ontario Canada on April 15, 2008

my third toyota, second used. i buy for reliability and reasonable fuel economy and i have not been disappointed. car is very roomy, huge trunk, very comfortable. only defect i have experienced is a failure of the emission control system which cost over $400 to repair.

Great car

by Swan from New Jersey on February 13, 2015

I bought this car with 115000 miles, had it for a few months now. The previous owner provided me with full service history (bought it new) and its been a joy to own for theml over 12 years - very reliable. Lets start with the bad. Suspension - has a very soft feel to it. New dampers might help but this is sold as a luxury type car so very comfortable in that respect. Gearbox - I've always had a manual and the auto box is not my favourite, but that's just my preference. Styling - Yep, not the prettiest car around but you get used to it. The good: Luxury - Feels like a true luxury car. Comfortable seats and spacious. Lot of extras that makes it a joy. For a family this is a great car with ample space. Performance - Once you get used to the auto box its a joy to drive. More than enough power for regular driving and great on longer distances. a Great cruiser at any speed. Noise - very quiet. You will always be able to have a normal conversation at any speed. I'm very pleased with my purchase and its reputation has been established over many years, not just one persons opinion.

Great value for price

by Qualityman from New Hope,Pa. on February 27, 2013

Purchased a 2002 Avalon, with 147K, and was a little worried due to the mileage. But all the previous reviews convinced me to take a chance that the car would still give me another 40k troublefree. The car runs like a dream, and is loaded with options. So after a month I'm still very pleased I purchased the car.

Spoiled with this Avalon

by Banker from Providence, RI on June 6, 2014

I bought this new XLS exactly 12 years ago. Want to replace to get remote start and newer technology (back-up camera, blind spot monitoring, etc.). Test drove a 2014 Avalon and would not buy it! Toyota has cheapened the product, smaller interior. In trying to replace this car, I realize how spoiled I am with luxury appointments, smooth ride and reliability. I've tried Honda, Hyundai, Ford, looking at Subaru's (would have to wait for '15 model to get blind spot monitoring) and disappointed that daytime running lights, heated power seats and some desired technology are difficult, if not impossible, to obtain in some models. My problem is that I've already arranged a private sale, and that person's car is literally falling apart and she can't wait to get her hands on my Avalon.

Keeps on humming....

by I love my Avalon from on January 29, 2014

I bought my Avalon new in 2002....now has over 187000 miles on it and still runs great. Love my car ...interior leather is still like new. very roomy and comfortable.

One of the best built & safest cars you can own

by Bubs from Clinton, MS on July 18, 2016

Wonderful car. Dependable as the sunrise. Huge interior. Comfortable. Performance, yes. You need to go right now? Stand on it and it will go! But.. without a doubt, and the main reason I'm writing this review, is because these cars are built like tanks. What are the odds.. but I have a twenty something daughter that has had 2 of these and has been in 2 wrecks with them. I know. But here's the thing. First one was not her fault. (2001 Model) Rainy weather, car cut across in front of her. She hit the brakes and broadsided them at 45 mph. The ABS kept it straight. After the wreck, looking at the car it was textbook perfect crumple zones. The car dispersed the energy of the crash evenly throughout the structure. They all had on seatbelts. Got out of the car and walked around with a scratch. Both front airbags deployed. NONE of the glass broke. Not even a crack. The doors all opened and closed. Very impressed with the engineering of this car. Second one was today. (2002 model). Moment of inattention, UPS truck stopped while making a turn. she hit the brakes and swerved to the right. Ran off the road and the car was ON ITS SIDE IN A DITCH. I kid you not, the motor never quit running. It happened in front of a fairly large business and some of the guys came running out and uprighted it it for her so she could get out. No glass broken. Air bags didn't even deploy. Once again, looking at it you could see the areas that absorbed the stress. If you want a safe car, that is very affordable, you absolutely can not go wrong with these Avalons.

Great car, Not sure if it can be replaced!

by Melody from North Hollwood, CA on March 16, 2012

I have a 2002 Avalon XL and I bought it from my parents 4 years ago they had 80,000 miles on it and now it has 136,000. I have had minimal problems out of it, even after an accident and repairs (salvage title). It runs and feels great. I have a daughter and she loves the backseat and pull out snack tray. The trunk is so big we can even put her bike in the back when we go on trips. Now that I am looking to sale and buy another car I am extremely nervous because I just don't know If I can find a car just as great, spacious, comfortable, and appealing with equivalent value!

The Best

by Nani from Des Plaines ,IL on January 11, 2018

Toyota Avalon 2002. My first car. I want to buy a new car but don’t feel like selling this car .I was the third owner of this car. Bought it when the miles were 101k. Now I have 235k miles on the car. No major repairs .Runs great without any noise and very smooth.I took a great decision of buying this car 6 years ago.

I love my Avalon 2002. has 220000 miles on it

by Kevin from Palm Beach Gardens on January 20, 2018

Comfort, great ride, it's got power and I cannot buy a new car cause it's great. interior comfort is top notch.

Other than Style, Everything else is perfect.

by raingblustar from Chicago, IL on June 15, 2014

The exterior style is not my type at all. However, my dad loved it and so I decided to give it a shot. I purchased the vehicle when it had 44,000 miles. It's been more than 3 years and it now has 85,000 miles. The 2002 Toyota Avalon STILL runs perfectly. It's comfortable, spacious, smooth, and everything you need in a reliable car. It's a little hard on the wheels, but even that is very minimal to what I experienced in the past with other vehicles. I absolutely love this car!

1 2 3