1996 Camry

1996 Toyota Camry

1996 Toyota Camry

4 out of 5 stars Interior Design

Have You Driven the 1996 Toyota Camry?

Raliability at its best

by CamryMan from Poughkeepsie, NY on Wed Jun 09 2010

I deliver pizza with my 96 and have since put 60,000 miles on it in 2 years. It still runs like a top! Maintenance is very easy with this vehicle as I am a DIY type of guy. This car is so easy that I've been able to do brake fluid flushes, transmission flushes, oil changes, radiator changes, brake changes, wheel bearing changes, minor suspension changes, and I'll be doing more when the time comes! Mind you, I've had zero mechanical training from any type of school. I get around 27 MPG (strictly highway miles). Best car I've ever owned (next to a brand new 2007 Yaris I had).

Solid Reliable Transportation

by Toyota Enthusiast from Releigh, NC on Fri Jan 20 2012

Purchased a 96 Camry with low mileage (<80K). Had previously owned two 95 Camry(s). Purchased from out of state small dealer. The Camry is very reliable, gets excellent gas mileage (32-33 mpg) at reasonable highway speeds. Good heating and A/C system. Very good value for the price paid. It is a very good second car for our family. Would purchase again. Planning on keeping vehicle for 6 to 10 years.

Very Reliable

by Mike from Roswell New Mexico on Tue Mar 06 2012

I bought this car used in 1999 with 50,000 miles and Its a great car to get you from point A to point B. I have almost 300,000 miles on it and it is still running like the day I got it.

Unbelievable engine

by Toyota lover from Cincinnati, OH on Wed Jan 23 2013

My uncle gave me his 96 Toyota Camry early in 2010 and while I was only able to drive it for 2 1/2 yrs before I had to get rid of it, I got a lot out of it. It was given to me at about 140k miles, and I drove it to about 230k. It was such a reliable car, and I miss it every day. For the first yr and a half, I never needed to do anything except normal maintenance, but in the last yr, the wear and tear started to peek through. The freeze plugs kept rusting out, which are cheap parts, but expensive to have replaced. My car got so hot on one of these occasions (freeze plugs hold in your car's coolant) that it melted my distributor cap and put a hole in my radiator. That was the end of the Camry! The cost to get it fixed wasn't even worth the value of the car, so I had to say goodbye. I know the engine still had a lot of life left in it, so it really sucked to get rid of it. My advice to anyone thinking of buying this car would be to perform regular maintenance, and just to keep an eye on the temperature gauge, especially after 200k miles. Keeping that in mind, this car will run forever. I know it will surprise you as to how long it lasts.

Second times a charm...

by jp from NJ on Tue Apr 17 2007

I had a Ford Taurus as my first car and soon after it was to be an old car. My taurus broke down after about three months of having it which was a major disaster to me. Since, I am a student, I did not have much money to look for another car. I finally bought my Toyota Camry and it was the best decision I have made. This car has been through a lot of accidents and only has minor blemishes to show for it. I recently just got the tires replaced and a tune up and plan to keep it for another year.

The best car on the road.

by Super Dave from Hatfield, PA on Mon Jan 22 2007

My Camry has 158,000 miles and still runs like a new car. It was worth every penny I spent for it. I will keep this car forever. 100% reliable never any problems.

REVIEW of the 1996 toyota camry

by usher7 from lynnwood wa on Tue Aug 16 2011

hi my dad bot a toyota camry just like this one but we sold it for a 05 toyota tacoma it was sad because they where not going sell it they where going to put it in a junk yard but the car was great but if you buy one you will notice alote of road noice and its not that fun to drive the sterring is not as swift as the newer camrys but overall it is a great car to have but if you buy one I recommend the xle one it is nice and it comes with leather so it is a good car

Best car ever built, anywhere, anytime!

by 1996 Camry lover from Philadelphia, PA on Wed Jul 11 2018

The 1996 Camry LE 4 cyl. sedan, is just amazing, period, possibly the best car ever. If you're an exciting, dynamic, thrilling, "show-off" - then just keep moving elsewhere, because this is NOT your car. My secretary sold me my first one with 83,200 miles on it, after her Father passed away and she and her brother started fighting over it. I did basic maintenance on it (oil changes every 3k, and transmission at 25K intervals) and replaced belts, exhaust parts, timing belts at 80k intervals, suspension bushings, and a radiator in it, with no other major expenses, when it was rear-ended and totaled, at 311,000 miles. That car was SOOOO dependable, I installed a trailer hitch on it with 205K to pull my kayak trailer, and towed it right up to its crash two years ago. With 300K miles on it, it still got over 30MPG highway. The car is indestructible - amazing. So, I found another, with about 83,000 miles on it (19 years old) from another old man in Princeton, NJ, who relinquished his license because he could no longer drive. It now has 165K, needs suspension bushings (just like the old one) and is equally dependable. 1996 Camry 1, cost me $4,200.00 cash, with 83K on it. Insurance company gave me $1,700 (after deductible) salvage, for the wreck. So, my cost was $2,500.00 - (that's NOT $25,000.00) for 311k (crash mileage) - 83k miles (purchase mileage) = 228K miles. $2,500.00 divided by 228,000 miles = 1.09 cents per mile. You DO NOT HAVE TO BE A MATHEMETICIAN to understand a little more than a penny per mile. That's why I say (and have proven) that this car IS the best car ever built! Calculate YOUR car and see the difference. I do have a BMW Z-4 "M" series for expensive FUN! - VERRRRRRRY expensive fun. The savings on the Camrys paid for the BMW. If you're on a budget, need dependable transportation, and do not care if every aggressive predator on the highway passes you, the 1996 CAMRY is for you. Change the oil every 3,000 miles, service the cooling system and transmission every 25K miles, and 300.000 miles can easily be expected. Good luck trying to convince someone to sell; everybody with one, KNOWS the value. Look for old "codgers" relinquishing their licenses, with garaged low-mileage 1996 Camrys. For truck people, the 1994 Toyota 4 x 4 Deluxe is the WINNER to beat all the trucks.

Joes' car

by Joe from Muncie, IN on Fri May 13 2011

I just bought this car, and I have long been a Honda driver. I liked the automatic transmission in this car, but the seats in this car are not that fit to its body! For this reason, many people try to put something above the seat to raise themselves to have a better view of the car.

Great Long Lasting Vehicle

by Kim K. from Chicago, IL on Sun Mar 16 2014

I received this car as a gift from my boyfriend. It was his backup car given to him from his mom. It sat on the driveway for about a year till I received it in 2012. Though the car was in a bad frontal accident, it performs and run amazing. The only problems I ever had are just cosmetic and certain thing that rusts or go bad from age. I brought my car in for an oil change once and the mechanic told me he had a woman bring in the same exact car in with over 700k miles before the transmission blew on it. I heard the '96 Camry was the last model they made in Japan still before they started making factories in USA. I love this car and even though I'm planning to buy a new car still, I will keep this car till I drive it to the ground.

1 2 3 4