1997 Camry

1997 Toyota Camry

$743 - $5,743  MSRP Range
1997 Toyota Camry

4.5

Have You Driven the 1997 Toyota Camry?

most reliable car I,ve ever owned

by Crazy Cannon from pasadena on Tue Jul 20 2010

This car is unbelievable. It will not stop. I now have 380,000 miles on it and it still runs very good. I have never had any major problems with it. It;s not flashy but who cares when your aproaching 400,000 miles on it. I LOVE THIS CAR. I can't thank it enough as I have no fear of taking it on long trips with the high mileage. I recommend this car to everyone.

Excellent car

by Mike from New Jersey on Fri Jul 30 2010

I've had this Camry since I bought it lightly used in '97. Ever since I have not had any major problems with it. It has 128,000 miles on it now. Comfortable, quiet, and reliable. The only con I have for it is that the gas mileage isn't the best (about 18 MPG), since it's a V6. So if you're looking for something fuel-efficient, I would go with the four cylinder.

Can't beat the value and reliability!

by Bowser from Whittemor, MI on Sat Oct 22 2011

I bought a 97 Camry with 104,000 miles and gave it to my son 5+ years later with 205,00 miles with some scratches on the paint, hardly any rust and in good shape. I paid $4100 for it then from the original owner. Gas mileage stayed at 30 mpg for the time I had it. It had great styling and about $1000 in repairs for the 5+ years. I can't think of any significant disadvantages. It lasted better than any used car I've had in the past.

238,000 miles and still going strong.

by The Boogyman from OK on Mon Feb 02 2015

I am incredibly impressed with my 97 Camry. I bought this car when it had 186,000 miles on it. That was five years and 52,000 miles ago. I just crossed 238,000 miles and the "shazamry" is still my daily driver. Total maintenance has been under $1,500 in the time I've owned it. I still get 26 mpg in the city and 26-30 mpg on the highway. The paint is finally flaking off because it's outside all day but the interior and the mechanics of the car are still excellent. I'm about to start a 2,000 mile road trip in this beast with no second thoughts.

VERY RELIABLE

by TOYOTAHAPPY from BINGHAMTON, NY on Tue Dec 16 2008

1997 TOYOTA WITH OVER 200 THOUSAND MILES IF WELL CARED FOR IS JUST GETTING STARTED. REGULAR OIL CHANGES MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO KEEP THIS CAR PURRING. PEOPLE GET SCARED TO SEE HIGH MILES BUT THIS CAR RUNS STRONG.DEFINITELY WORTH CHECKING IT OUT.

Very Satisfied

by New to Toyota from Chicago on Mon Apr 19 2010

I purchased this Toyota from a private owner, the transaction went smooth! After looking at this car from dealers who wouldn't budge on the price, I decided to buy from a private owner. I was looking for a reliable, gas saver & that's what I got! I have 1 large car seat & 2 boosters in the back seat. I was worried that the backseat would be cramped but it's not. Very comfortable car, this is my 1st Toyota (we are a Nissan family) The only think I don't like is the radio/speakers...cheap quality but that can be replaced. My Camry is a 4-clyinder LE so the pick up is too be expected.

Best Car I've Ever Bought!

by Toyota Mom from Muskegon, MI on Tue Dec 22 2009

I've owned my '97 Camry for 6 years and with over 200,000 miles on it, I'm wondering when it will die! No major repairs have been required; although the transmission is just beginning to slip only when in cruise control. This car plows through Michigan winters like a breeze (MUCH better than my husband's Saturn Ion). This car is by far the best car I've ever owned! Regular oil changes & brake job, a little front end work, and a set of new tires every fall are all it's ever needed. Looking forward to buying a new Toyota when this one finally gives up! I love my Toyota!

Toyota Makes being cheap ok!

by Gas Saver from Asheville, NC on Fri Oct 13 2006

I bought my '97 Camry LE about 4 months ago when gas got outragous. I was sad to trade in my '86 Caprice, but it was gettin ridiculous. I save $150 a month in gas now, and it's all thanks to the 2.2L inline 4 under the hood. When I looked it up, I was surprised to find out all the four was crankin was 133hp, but it definately gets the job done. Toyota makes it ok to be cheap!!

Old but still awesome

by Russell from Washington D.C. on Fri May 16 2008

My grandpa gave me this car for my first car and I am so glad he did. I was expecting an old piece of junk but I was wrong. I'm not gonna go into detail, but this is a great car that you must have if you're looking for a cheapish, but reliable car.

Best most reliable car I've ever had!!

by Sarah from Newburgh, NY on Tue Dec 12 2017

This car will take a bruising & keep going & going!! The exterior has deteriorated a bit (it's 20yrs old!!) but it keeps pushing, I commute a 30 min to work and this car has never let me down- after all the cars I've had(Explorer, Laredo, Passat, Oldsmobile, Buick) this car was by far the most reliable & easily maintained!!

1 2 3 4

Our Take on the 1997 Toyota Camry

Let's face it. Designing a sports car is easy.

Take a big engine, shove it under some sexy sheet metal, give it asnubbed-down suspension and a macho name. Voila. Instant car.

But most cars sold are four-door sedans. Ordinary mom-and-pop cars. Grocerygetters. This type of car seeks its excitement in its velvety comfort, goodride, comfy seats, inoffensive styling and appliance-like reliability.

Certainly, many cars fit this description. But the Toyota Camry fitsespecially well.

For 1997, the Camry benefits from a makeover worthy of any perfume pusher.It's grown slightly in size, and its latest suit of clothes is all sharplyangled, a distinct departure from the previous car's subtle, luxurious curves.

The... Read More