2000 Toyota Celica

Best car I've ever owned

by from Dunkirk on September 29, 2010

I've had my 2000 Toyota now for 10 years. It is the best car I have ever owned!! It has just turned to 152,000 miles. It still runs great! I've never had any problem with it except the cadilidic coverter. Other than that, it has been just general maintenance! I keep the oil changed every 3 - 5000 miles. New set of brake pads in 2006. I've just had the fuel injecters cleaned, added a new fuel filter and just put my 4th set of tires on it! I take really good care of her! I will have this car forever! Very sporty to look at and with the 5 speed, it's soo fun to drive. My only regret with this car is that I couldn't afford the GT-S at the time. I will definately buy one if I find one that hasn't been too ragged out by some kid. This car is extremely reliable and gets very good gas mileage. I will never get rid of it. I'm hoping to get to at least 400,000 miles. Can't understand why Toyota quit selling this model?? It's the coolest car they ever made!

2000 Celica GT-S, first road legal go-kart?

by from Bend, Oregon on April 16, 2008

Interior- The interior is simple and very attractive, easy at a quick glance to read the guages, climate controls are to the point, space is limited but what do you expect from a sports car? Exterior-The exterior is a work of art. Great looking front and sides, rear is a bit plain but put a trd spoiler on to spice it up. Stock rims (16in) look really nice and complement the cars styling very well. Performance- 5 out of 5! really revvy engine with redline at 7800rpm and fuel cutoff at 8400rpm! VVTL-i is very well developed and lift (like vtec in honda) kicks in hard for great power delivery in the topend of the rpm range. Not going to beat the corvettes down the street but faster than a very very large majority of cars on the road with a 0-60 time of around 6.6 sec. Handling- For the money this cars (stock) is in its own catagory. Love twisties and tracks. Great for autocrossing and weekend racing. Rough ride for everyday driving but again its a sports car... Overall I would highly recommend this car! Its been around sence the 70's so toyota is doing something right. Great fuel economy (33mpg average) and reliability is the first thing that pops up when someone says the name. I love this car and would recommend it to anyone!

Great Little Car!!

by from Indiana on February 26, 2009

I drove my brand new 2000 toyota celica from the time I was 16 until 2009 when a guy plowed into the back of me when I was at a dead stop. I would still be driving it had that not happened. It is a great and reliable car. I had zero problems with my celica. I kept up on oil changes and maintenance and took real good care of her, but the only thing I had to do on her in 9 years was change the break pads. That was 100,000 miles too. The interior is small but plenty of room for 2 people. If you are real tall it is limited head room, but you can put the chair back enough to drive comfortably. It is low to the ground with 2 heavy doors as well so they tend to close on you if you are on a slope. The exterior is sleek and smooth with little to dislike. The car runs great even on snow believe it or not. It is easy to handle and fun to drive. I would be buying another one except for two reasons: 1. Toyota quit making them and 2. I hope to start a family and that doesn't leave enough room for car seats very easily. If you want a fun, reliable, 2 door sports car that is reasonably priced...this is it! It will run forever!! My celica had gone on MANY road trips and it always made EXCELLENT gas mileage as well as provided reliable transportation.

2000 toyota celica gt

by from lehighton, pa on November 5, 2009

has 138000 and had no issues. replaced the clutch and that was it. has no leaks and a very dependable car.

2000 Toyota Celica GT

by from on November 2, 2009

I have had the car for 6 years. No problems, handles really well in the winter and overall, great on gas 25 bucks and I can drive it for three weeks. It is a comfortable 2 seater cannot complain.

Reliable, Good-Looking Car

by from Los Angeles, CA on August 30, 2006

I picked up a 2000 Celica GTS with most of the options in 2001. It has the leather seats, abs, sun roof, 16" rims, and the 6-speed stick manual shift. Since 01', I have put close to 90,000 miles on it with no mechanical problems. First the positives. . . 1)Lights turn on automatically when dark. I never have to worry about leaving my lights on. 2)The car doors lock automatically when you turn on the ignition and unlock when you turn off the car. Pretty intuitive. The remote entry is very convenient. 3) Leather seats are comfortable with nice adjustments for the driver. I am 6' and had no trouble lowering the seat so my head didn't touch the top. 4) Despite what I've read in other reviews, unless you're huge, the back seat is actually quite comfortable with cup holders for backseat passengers 5) Power is strong once you're up to highway speeds. You'll have no trouble going up hills and passing slower cars. It has a cool racecar sound. 6) From my perspective, this car corners really well and is tight. 7) Huge amount of trunk space 8) This is one good-looking car. Negatives. . . 1) Poor acceleration out of the gate: Sometimes, I feel it runs like a dog. Maybe this is because I have been too cheap to put premium gas in it. But that's another negative considering today's gas prices. 2) No trunk button in the front of the car: I'm sure Toyota put this for security purposes, but it's annoying to have to turn off the car, get out and use your key to open the trunk when airport security is asking you to open it. 3) Shifting is difficult: This is not an easy car to drive. Plus, never, never, never buy a stick in LA unless you don't do any commuting. 4) Visibility is poor: It's hard to see behind. 5) No space for a full spare tire 6) Front grill is cool looking, but I catch piles of garbage in it. 7) Metal petals are cool, but they quickly lost their shiny chrome appearance 8) Sun roof scratches too easily. A cat jumped on top of the car one time, and now it has a million scratches on it. 9) Not an easy car to get in or out of. Think 2 big heavy doors in tight spaces. It's so low to the ground that you have to turn sideways and lift yourself out. Good, reliable car in spite of negatives.

Great car

by from Athens, GA on October 31, 2006

With all the highway driving I do, this Celica gets far better mileage than my 94 Dodge Intrepid. It handles well and is a fun first manual.

Another Example of Toyota Quality

by from Shreveport, LA on December 7, 2007

Owning this car has been a good experience for me. I am a young college student and have had no mechanical problems at all. I love the cute, sporty design as well as the many features included on the base model GD - such as power windows and doors, remote key entry, automatic lights, and the sporty 2 tones bucket seats. Also, the gas mileage is a huge plus. The other options in my price range had been the corolla, prius, and matrix at the time, and I am very happy I went with this one instead. I have no regrets and would reccommend this car to anyone young and on a budget, but wants to have a "cool" car thats reliable and fun to drive. I am up to almost 100k miles now and about to give the car to my sister for her 16th birthday. Even at 100k miles it still has a lot of use left in it. Most people cannot tell that the car is 8 years old because of the body style did not change after 2000. Great car all around.

Unique and somewhat rare + reliability performance

by from on March 23, 2017

Super quick up to 35 mph. Solid toyota reliability. Low and difficult to get in/out of. But you get a lot of agility with that lowness. 17 years old with 162k miles and still get 30 miles to the gallon.

Fun driving

by from Santa Barbara, CA on January 3, 2007

This Celica has 6 speed stick shift with an engine that can run up to 6.8krpm. A lot of room to play with shifting the gears, and this car handles really well. The brakes are all disk-brakes with ABS, and they work well!

Our Expert Review: 2000 Toyota Celica