1996 Toyota Corolla

my first car purchase

by from on April 19, 2011

Purchased when I was 18, I was naturally unaware of the amount of maintenance required for a car owner, however this car needed very little. I drove the Corolla for 6 years with very few oil changes and very little maintenance required.

Good car! Good price!

by from Clinton MD on July 3, 2013

I brought it for my 17 year old son. Perfect for him. Very reliable. Outstanding for a first car and humble beginnings!

Great engine,

by from corte madera, ca on February 7, 2008

We bought this car new, it has 100,000 miles on it, and we are giving it its first tune up. We change the oil every 10,000 miles. Basically we beat the heck out this car and it just wont quit. Now only if my wife was a low maintenance as this car.

Unmatched reliability

by from Buffalo, NY on March 1, 2015

1996 Toyota Corolla - base model, 1.6l 4cyl, 3spd auto. 251,200 miles, still running great and getting over 25mpg. It's not pretty anymore, but never fails to start and get me where I need to go. I have no plans to get rid of it until it is a complete death trap- lol.

Great economical daily driver

by from Austin, TX on August 21, 2008

I've had this car for 11 years and it has about 167k miles on it. I've replaced the motor mounts and timing belt, no other big-ticket items. Has never needed more than a brake light bulb to pass inspection. Has decent pickup and will cruise at highway speeds without feeling like it's about to fall apart. Gets about 35 mph on the highway. Good cargo space--trunk is quite large and back seat can be folded down for long objects. Rear seat passenger space is cramped, though, and the suspension isn't designed for a really heavy load--I've had five people in it but you have to take the speed bumps really slow. Really slows down on hills when towing, too, but it says right in the owner's manual it wasn't designed to tow. Paint is a bit faded but not bad for the age of the car and not having been kept in a garage. Upholstery looks like new. Factory sound system has good sound, though the cassette player eventually quit working.

Over 450k and still running strong.

by from New Brunswick, Canada on June 16, 2008

After going through 12 years on the rough roads and the cold winters in Canada this car still works as good as the day I bought it. Never any major problems just routine maintenance.

Great Car

by from St. Paul, MN on July 7, 2008

I bought this car used with 125k and now I have 190k on it and it's still running strong. Haven't had any problems with this car and it's been worth every penny.

High mileage review

by from Glenwood Springs, CO. on August 17, 2012

I know these are reliable cars over all, but I find it interesting these things (in this year rating) have a known transmission problem, (5 speed manual) and nowhere here in the bluebook ratings is it mentioned. (except for now). At 210,000 miles the car lost 4th gear, skipping 4th wasn't that big a deal, but then fairly quickly 3rd went out, followed by 5th, and then 2nd. Nearly 2000.00 to fix acording to the local trany place. Looks like I'll tow it within a couple blocks of a dealership and drive it into the lot using its last gear (1st) and trade it in... yes, for another corolla, but a newer one!

270k miles still going

by from Philadelphia, PA on April 15, 2008

Not the greatest car but not the worst. Missing standard ABS. Quite reliable, most of the money spent were on maintenance.

Over 222K and Just made first repair!

by from So Cal on January 30, 2010

I bought this car in 1998 Used, 33K miles,It now has over 222K miles and I just had my first problem which all started with the Alarm that I haven't used in 5 yrs. It ended up costing me a tow, a new alternator, new starter fuse(not sure?) and a bunch of other little snow ball effect things, when in the end all I need was a relay fuse, which was replaced in the begining of this episode but the mechanic did not tightened properly and thus it would only start every other day. It ended up being this simple thing, so actually I have never had a single mechanical thing go wrong!!! I can put $5 worth of gas and get from my place to my boyfriends (65 miles away) and it just keeps running. I do practically no preventitive maint (I think in 12 yrs I had the oil changed 3 times, but if I add new oil when it is empty, didn't I thoretically change it? LOL!) this car is amazing! It doesn't look so great on the outside the hood and roof paint is faded badly, But the interior is in great shape. I literally run this car into the ground and she keeps performing like a champ! I am 39 yrs old and this car will out live me and my 21 yr old son. I cannot say enough about how great it is. I have gotten every inflated penny I paid for this car back ten fold. If you are thinking of buying a 1996 toyota corolla, DO IT, you will not be disappointed!!!

Similar Models