2001 Toyota Echo

NEVER BROKE DOWN

by from San Angelo ,TX on September 14, 2017

AFTER over 100,000 miles it only needed normal maintenance great car . the AC is out but I do not consider that as part of the motor .

Over 200k when I bought it used, still perfect

by from Portland, Oregon on September 3, 2017

Like it says in the title, I bought my white '01 Echo 5-speed 2-door used from a little old lady who had bought it new, and managed to put 209,000 miles on it. Well, it's been 3 years for me, and I've put an additional 51,000 miles on it with no mechanical issues at all besides replacing the clutch about a year into me owning it (a side effect of me learning how to drive stick for the first time, hahaha). It isn't the most comfortable thing for 2-hour road trips, but it has enough room up front for 2 full sized adults, and regularly gets over 30 mpg even when hills are a regular factor. If you're considering it, go for it! 10/10 would reccomend!

Too much value for the money,so Toyota DCed

by from International Falls, Minnesota on August 7, 2017

Finest , most practical, most efficient,most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. Unbelievable engineering. Great headroom,great leg room,incredible trunk space. To much value for the money so Toyota discontinued then

Was a very good car

by from Greencastle, IN on August 5, 2017

Was a very good, reliable, dependable, car, that got you where you needed to go. Has a very good motor, excellent speed

Uses car for Transportingfamily

Great car for short people.

by from Seagrove, NC on April 10, 2017

I'm 5'3" and this is the most comfortable car to drive of all I've had. Tall people find the opposite, that the seats are uncomfortable. Very good gas mileage, over 40 mpg. Trouble free.

Never getting rid of it!

by from Valley,Al on February 21, 2017

Awesome little car. I bought a 2001 Echo in 2010 that had 160,000 miles on it. It now has 218,000 miles and still running great. Best gas mileage was 47.8 with a manual trans driven very easy through an entire tank of gas with a fresh tune-up. Ran out of gas once with a friend in the middle of nowhere and pushed the car 1.8 miles back to the nearest gas station while she drove. It was dark and I wasn't about to leave my girl and my Echo on the side of the road to go get gas. I think specs on it says it weighs approx 2,040lbs. So, pushing it wasn't really that bad. Gave $3,630 bucks for it and wouldn't take $5,000 for it now. Replacing the struts were the most expensive thing I've had done to it. I agree with what alot of ppl say about the Echo's that Toyota stopped making them cause they're just too darn reliable and inexpensive to maintain. I laugh when I pull in to get gas and everyone is filling their full size trucks and SUV's and they look over at my little Echo like I bet that thing gets great gas mileage. I fill the tank completely, leave, and they're still filling their tanks. Too funny..

two are better than one.

by from phoenix, az. on April 29, 2016

I own two Echoes, a 2000 and a 2001. The 2000 i bought new and the 2001 i bought used. The 2000 is a manual and the other is an automatic. Both cars have over 140,000 miles and both are running strong. The only issue I have had is with the 2001, had to replace the AC. I throughly enjoy driving these cars. They handle well and are fairly responsive. Keep in mind that this model was designed to be low maintenance, i.e. there is a timing chain(no need to replace a belt) and the plugs go for 100,000, brakes last for a long time. I have only replaced the front pads once. The interiors have have plenty of headroom and plenty of storage space. The center mounted console provides extra visibility. I like simplicity in cars, crank windows, manual door locks, etc. In the long run one will avoid the costly repairs of all the bells and whistles. These cars also seemed to hold there value given their low price when new. I airs of all the bells and whistles.

2001 original owner

by from National City, Ca on October 12, 2015

Have loved this car since I bought it for my wife. Tested the mileage from when I first bought it and was averaging 42 MPG 9primarily driven on freeways) and I am still getting 42 miles after almost 15 years. Great head room and comfort. Has 121K miles and no problems yet. Just keep up the maintenance and it will last. Drove it from San Diego to Las Vegas once and enjoyed the drive. Filled up in San Diego and made no stops until I reached Las Vegas. Best mileage on any car I ever owned.

Best car ever owned

by from Chicago, IL on June 1, 2013

Bought this car new in 2001. Have used only synthetic oil since the first oil change. Current mileage: 303,000 and still running strong. I've hardly repaired this car, ever. It will go 40K-60K with no repairs. Rolls effortlessly. Never eats tires. I got 120,000 out of a set of 80,000-mile Michelins! Gas mileage is consistent at 38-42 mpg. In 300,000 miles, I've replaced 1 water pump, 1 alternator, and the rear shocks. Original engine, original trans, with NO repairs on either. I'm 6'4 and have more headroom and legroom that any other car I've sat it, even luxury sedans. Huge trunk, nice back seat. I plan on keeping this car as longs as it wants to be around. Thank you Toyota! Absolutely the best car I've ever owned.

2001 Echo

by from Eldersburg on December 25, 2012

Great value for the money, especially if a manual transmission. Auto trans is good also. A basic car that works! Get 32 to 39 mpg. Got 41.7 mpg once. Lowest mpg 29 once.

Our Expert Review: 2001 Toyota Echo