2001 ECHO

4.2 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.9 out of 5 starsReliability

Reliable Practicality and Fun

by hpver from Bakersfield, CA on June 10, 2010

We bought our 2001 Echo new in Feb 2001 (4-dr, auto trans and AC but otherwise no frills -- manual everything). As of June 2010, we have 97K miles on it and have never had it in the shop except for a change of the front brake pads. Other than that, routine maintenance, fluid changes, new tires, etc. are all that's been done. It still runs great; we use it almost daily. I wish they still made this car. Because of its reliability and MPG, it's one of the lowest cost vehicles a person can own. We intend to drive it until it dies. One of the reasons for the reliability is that Toytota has been making 1.5 litre engines for a long time and they do it very well. And the 2001 model has a timing chain, so no changing a belt every 60K miles. The trunk is huge for a car of this size, and the car seats four adults comfortably. My son is 6 foot 2 now and can still drive it comfortably. A sports car it's not, but it does everything we have needed and then some. And after almost 10 years of hard use, including kids who are now teenagers, the upholstery, interior and paint is still in good shape. I still get 30 MPG or more around town and about 38-42 on the highway. The car is tall for a small car, and a little light, so high winds buffet it a bit, but it holds the road and I've never felt unstable or unsafe in it. It can turn and park in small spaces and is very easy to drive. The center guage cluster is easy to get used to and I like that it leaves more windshield to see through ahead of me when I'm driving. The professional auto press generally panned this car as dumpy looking and tinny, but those of us who have actually bought and driven one almost universally love and praise it. Trust the latter. This is a car you can buy with your eyes closed.

Over 300,000 miles

by echo lover from St. louis, MO on August 4, 2012

The echo is hands down the best small car ever. I purchased a well maintained 2001 echo 5spd with 89,000 miles on it. Drove it 5 days a week 200 miles per day round trip commute, and numerous other weekend trips. 40-45 mpg every tank. Only mechanical issue was the ignition coils went bad one by one around 200,000-250,000 miles. Each was $100 plus 10 minutes of my own labor. Other than that I had routine maintenance, and one wheel bearing (around 275,000m). Drove it till she had over 300,000 miles n sold it for $1800. Best car ever... sniff.

Great Car If You Can Find One

by 06titan from Palm Bay, FL on May 25, 2010

We bought our Echo new, in 2001. Manual seats, manual windows, automatic with AC. Plain and simple. It now has about 150K miles on it and still runs and looks great. Normal maintenance (fluids, tires, battery, shocks) is all we've done over the 9 years we've had it. Did you know 2001 was the "only" year the Echo came with a timing chain (versus a belt)? That means no belt replacement every 50-60K miles, which will save you a few hundred $$$! We highly recommend this car for anyone in the family. It's cheap to run, cheap to maintain and reliable.

most reliable car i've own

by money saver from NH on May 11, 2011

i bought my echo bran new 11 years ago , i have put some money in to it but that beats a car payment i love my ehco

finest motorcar ever made

by burditt1971 from International Falls, Minnesota on December 12, 2009

My sister bought a 2000 Echo new, and the first time I rode in it, I was so impressed that I knew there had to be an Echo in my future. It took a while to track one down, because I never buy new cars (let somebody else eat that first year drop off in value) and nobody that ever bought one ever seems to want to sell it. (My sister has 175,000 + on hers and won't sell it because they do not make them any more) I finally bought a 2001 and it has more than lived up to my expectations. Of course Toyota quit making them. We, the customers were getting WAYYYYY to much value for price, and that had to end. The Yaris does not make a pimple on the butt of an Echo. Ya gotta love those auto manufacturers.

Love my Echo

by Blue from Millburn NJ on October 7, 2009

I have a 2001 Toyota Echo and will keep it as long as it will run. As far as I'm concerned there's nothing on the market I would want for replacing it and I'm sorry they're no longer available. It has been very reliable, handles well, has excellent gas mileage and is never in the garage except for routine maintenance. I find the driver's seat very comfortalbe as well.

Economical Car

by Echo Owner from Silver Spring, MD on June 10, 2012

The 2001 has the timing chain. The most economical car I've ever owned. I have the 4 speed manual, which is very economical , more than the automatic. This is ok if you like to shift gears. The car has plenty of head room as others have stated and you can stretch you legs also. The car is easy to get in and out of and the back seat passengers have enough room also. The car has little pickup but cruises easily on the highway. It can easily go 60 and 70 mph. I got 42 mpg on my first test. I reccomend the car.

Great little car

by Teendriver from Chicago, IL on August 8, 2009

This car is great, my parents bought it brand new in 2001 and we've had no problems with it. It's got about 65,000 miles on it and gets great gas milage. The only thing is that when you drive it above 65 MPH and there is a gusty wind it tends to squirm around a little. Another thing is that it's underpowered and the auto version is a little slow off the line and acceleration. I'm pretty tall and I fit in with room to spare. It's a great car for a new driver and anyone who wants a very reliable and efficiant car

i love this car!

by katbird_27 from graham, WA, USA on September 7, 2009

I purchased this after a car wreck and needed a commuter car. I get in and was HIGHLY impressed by the fact that the speedometer and other gauges were in the CENTER of the dash! i think that was the #1 selling point of this car for me! I had heard of it before with it being a gas sipper and it hasn't disappointed there either as it gets ON AVERAGE 40 mpg! only problem with it was the fact that there is no tape deck :(

my first car

by Tanya from Chicago on June 2, 2010

I love this car! its my first car and i still have it for 3 years now. runs very good, no problems at all. i got into an accident recently and all i can say for now i think will be a total loss, but i think its a very good car for the 4000$ i paid for it. next one will be a toyota too,but not echo lol.

1 2 3 4