2005 Toyota Highlander Consumer Reviews

4.4
Average based on 26 reviews

Excellent SUV

by from Suburban Philadelphia, PA on January 1, 2010

We have owned 3 Toyotas previously, 2 Corollas 1990 & 2003, & 1 Yaris 2007. When we needed a bigger vehicle for an expanding family we decided to go with the Toyota Highlander. After test driving both the 4 cyl and the V6 we decided to go with the V6 as it seemed like it is better suited for this vehicle. We found a used 2005 Highlander that fit our budget. Gas milage has been 20-21 MPG with 75% city driving. Driving in snow is a breeze with the 4x4. Overall performance & reliability is excellent, only regular scheduled maintenance has been required so far. Our only complaints are the lack of an outside temperature gauge, our old Toyota had that standard ... and we find the center console to be poorly designed. Also, the center position in the backseat was not adequate to install our infant car seat, we had to use the left spot to install it safely. Other then that we like the interior, we have leather seats with power adjusted front seats and 3rd row bench. In all we'd recommend this vehicle to anyone, it is very solid.

A very good choice.

by from austin, TX on October 1, 2010

Excellent vechicle. More room and comfort than appears. Very smooth and quiet drive train. Would buy this vehicle over and over again. I have friends that own them and feel the same way.

What every SUV should be like

by from McKinney, TX on July 22, 2008

We leased our very first Highlander in 2005 and it was our first Toyota as well. In fact we liked it so well when the lease was up last month we purchased it. We have averaged 27-28 MPG on the highway and topped 29 on one trip. Our in town average is between 19-21 MPG. The third row seat is real handy when we need to carry 7 people. A previous SUV of another name would not carry 4 guys and our golf clubs, the Highlander does. The only time this beauty saw the inside of the dealership was to change the oil and rotate the tires. Never had such a reliable vehicle as this, EVER. Thank you Toyota!

Highlander Review

by from Webberville, MI on June 7, 2006

I love this SUV! I have always wanted a Highlander since the day I could remember seeing it for the first time. I like the design, it is a sleek SUV, not big and bulky! It is so easy to drive, it pratically can drive itself. My folks own a Jeep Cherokee and when riding with them I feel like I am on a bumpy ride to no where. I always insist on driving my Highlander when we go anywhere together. It is a smooth ride with plenty of room in the back seat and lots of room in the back (trunk) area. You can easily load 4-5 people and their luggage in this car and go for a trip. The fold down back seats really opens up the car and leaves plenty of room for hauling. I wouldn't be selling this SUV unless I had to. I will buy a Highlander again someday real soon. Everyone who has ever taken a ride in my Highlander loves it. If you don't buy this one still consider buying a Highlander, you'll love it. Also Toyota has been number one in sales for a reason. They have the best performing vehicles for their money, very reliable and fun to drive. In addition I have lived 6 years without seeing snow and I was very nervous about driving this winter, with the Highlander it was a breeze. It has a ETC snow button that provides additional traction to the 4 wheel drive and handles like a beauty in the snow and ice. Not once did I skid or loose control. I can't say enough good things about my Highlander.

Love this Highlander

by from on June 27, 2009

We love our Highlander. Toured across the country in it, pulling a small camper. The handling and performance were excellent even with the camper in tow. After 10,000 we loved it even more. Comfortable, clean, feels great to drive, and best of all, it doesn't feel like a klunky SUV - it feels like driving a nice car (but to be honest, no, not a sports car). Great ride, great handling. AWESOME reliability - never a problem in 5 years.

Great Handling

by from Dallas, TX on April 2, 2008

This is the best handling car I've ever driven, even in snow, heavy rain, standing water. Front & rear seats are extremely comfortable. Reclining back seats are good on road trips. Plenty of back seat leg room. Expected better gas mileage. In town avg. 15 MPH; Hwy. avg is 20. The biggest negative is the road noise!!!! Horrible, Horrible, Horrible road noise. Other negatives: Dash design is functional but UGLY! A/C vents are poorly situated. Does not have compass or thermometer. Despite the negatives, I would buy it again.

A RELIABLE CAR

by from ST HELENA ISLAND, SC on December 14, 2012

I AM A PREVIOUS OWNER OF A HIGHLANDER. MY 2003 HIGHLANDER WAS IN AN ACCIDENT IN SEPTEMBER AND IT WAS DEEMED TOTALED. I THANK GOD I WAS UNHARMED. SO I PURCHASED ANOTHER HIGHLANDER BECAUSE I LOVE MY FIRST SO MUCH. A VERY DEPENDABLE VEHICLE.

great value

by from hartford, ct on December 28, 2011

Best suv for the $ safe, pretty, reliable, holds valu e. Great for ski trips, or just every day driving. Seats in way back appropriate for short legs only

Very Reliable vehicle

by from El Dorado Hills, CA on August 4, 2009

Purchsed used Aug of 2008. Wanted one because I liked the way they looked am very pleased with performance of vehicle, however the power/leather seats are not the most comfortable they are too narrow and don't adjust to my liking, and a little too hard, however this is a good "car" The phoney wood grain is way too shiney and reflects sunlight too much aside from that I think I would buy again. Have had no problems so far. Am not too impressed with the JBL sound system unless mine just doesn't work properly?? Average about 19/20 in town and about 27 on highway (not bad for size and weight)

TOYOTA HIGHLANDER

by from caifornia on July 9, 2007

VERY QUIET,EASY TO DRIVE,STRONG ENGINE FOR A MIDSIZE SUV,EXCELLENT CAR AN HIGHLY RECOMMENDABLE TO OTHER