2005 Highlander

2005 Toyota Highlander

2005 Toyota Highlander

Have you driven the 2005 Toyota Highlander?

Excellent SUV

by New parents from Suburban Philadelphia, PA on Fri Jan 01 2010

We have owned 3 Toyotas previously, 2 Corollas 1990 & 2003, & 1 Yaris 2007. When we needed a bigger vehicle for an expanding family we decided to go with the Toyota Highlander. After test driving both the 4 cyl and the V6 we decided to go with the V6 as it seemed like it is better suited for this vehicle. We found a used 2005 Highlander that fit our budget. Gas milage has been 20-21 MPG with 75% city driving. Driving in snow is a breeze with the 4x4. Overall performance & reliability is excellent, only regular scheduled maintenance has been required so far. Our only complaints are the lack of an outside temperature gauge, our old Toyota had that standard ... and we find the center console to be poorly designed. Also, the center position in the backseat was not adequate to install our infant car seat, we had to use the left spot to install it safely. Other then that we like the interior, we have leather seats with power adjusted front seats and 3rd row bench. In all we'd recommend this vehicle to anyone, it is very solid.

Love this Highlander

by LoveMyHighlander from on Sat Jun 27 2009

We love our Highlander. Toured across the country in it, pulling a small camper. The handling and performance were excellent even with the camper in tow. After 10,000 we loved it even more. Comfortable, clean, feels great to drive, and best of all, it doesn't feel like a klunky SUV - it feels like driving a nice car (but to be honest, no, not a sports car). Great ride, great handling. AWESOME reliability - never a problem in 5 years.

Highlander Review

by Highlander Lover from Webberville, MI on Wed Jun 07 2006

I love this SUV! I have always wanted a Highlander since the day I could remember seeing it for the first time. I like the design, it is a sleek SUV, not big and bulky! It is so easy to drive, it pratically can drive itself. My folks own a Jeep Cherokee and when riding with them I feel like I am on a bumpy ride to no where. I always insist on driving my Highlander when we go anywhere together. It is a smooth ride with plenty of room in the back seat and lots of room in the back (trunk) area. You can easily load 4-5 people and their luggage in this car and go for a trip. The fold down back seats really opens up the car and leaves plenty of room for hauling. I wouldn't be selling this SUV unless I had to. I will buy a Highlander again someday real soon. Everyone who has ever taken a ride in my Highlander loves it. If you don't buy this one still consider buying a Highlander, you'll love it. Also Toyota has been number one in sales for a reason. They have the best performing vehicles for their money, very reliable and fun to drive. In addition I have lived 6 years without seeing snow and I was very nervous about driving this winter, with the Highlander it was a breeze. It has a ETC snow button that provides additional traction to the 4 wheel drive and handles like a beauty in the snow and ice. Not once did I skid or loose control. I can't say enough good things about my Highlander.

Great Handling

by Mimi23 from Dallas, TX on Wed Apr 02 2008

This is the best handling car I've ever driven, even in snow, heavy rain, standing water. Front & rear seats are extremely comfortable. Reclining back seats are good on road trips. Plenty of back seat leg room. Expected better gas mileage. In town avg. 15 MPH; Hwy. avg is 20. The biggest negative is the road noise!!!! Horrible, Horrible, Horrible road noise. Other negatives: Dash design is functional but UGLY! A/C vents are poorly situated. Does not have compass or thermometer. Despite the negatives, I would buy it again.

A very good choice.

by The One from austin, TX on Fri Oct 01 2010

Excellent vechicle. More room and comfort than appears. Very smooth and quiet drive train. Would buy this vehicle over and over again. I have friends that own them and feel the same way.

Just a great, reliable car!

by seedy from Riverside CA on Tue Apr 05 2016

Bought in 2006 by the company I work for as my company car. Never ever a problem, regular oil changes, tune ups, tires. When I retired, in 2010, my company gave me my Highlander! At 170,000 miles had the catalytic converter replaced to pass the CA smog test. Now it needs the air conditioner compresser replaced, and the power steering fluid holder replaced, about $1000 to have both replaced, by mt mechanic, not dealer. I also use highest grade gas as per my mechanic. Still runs like a dream! 4 cyl 2wd. Have it washed at Costco car wash every 3 weeks or so, shines like brand new, cept for the cloudy headlights

Very Reliable vehicle

by 1st Highlander/suvBuyer from El Dorado Hills, CA on Tue Aug 04 2009

Purchsed used Aug of 2008. Wanted one because I liked the way they looked am very pleased with performance of vehicle, however the power/leather seats are not the most comfortable they are too narrow and don't adjust to my liking, and a little too hard, however this is a good "car" The phoney wood grain is way too shiney and reflects sunlight too much aside from that I think I would buy again. Have had no problems so far. Am not too impressed with the JBL sound system unless mine just doesn't work properly?? Average about 19/20 in town and about 27 on highway (not bad for size and weight)

2005 Toyota Highlander 2WD 4 clylinder

by 4th toyota I've owned from West Islip on Fri Feb 28 2014

I've owned three different Toyotas, a 1992 Corolla 205,000 miles, 1999 Corolla 200,000, ry and the 2005 Highlander 108K. The old adage goes, "if you take care of your vehicle it will take care of you". As long as you follow recommended services at appropriate mileage intervals, I've never had a single problem, mechanically or otherwise. I like to do service earlier than what is stated, I'm kind of OCD when it comes to taking care of my vehicle(s). The 2005 Highlander rides very much like a car, same drivetrain as the Camry 2.4L. The build is solid, you can hear it when you shut the door, none of that tinny sound like the other cheap imports. The truck earned 6 stars last year when it snowed 35 inches of snow on Long Island, there were stranded motorists - cars and fellow trucks abandoned on roadsides everywhere. I was fortunate to be driving this great vehicle, I have great confidence that I will not get stuck, for I know the Highlander can handle ice and snow and other crazy drivers with ease. One of the best vehicles I have ever driven. My next vehicle with be a Prius! I can't wait for my next adventure!

As reliable as my Celica but bigger and more power

by Jayme from Asheville on Wed Aug 09 2017

I recently bought a one owner 2005 Highlander LTD. I LOVE this ride. I was looking for a 4runner but my budget wouldn't allow it. After test driving this particular highlander, I didn't care, I loved the handling and comfort of the highlander and it has been an amazing vehicle. It climbs uphill effortlessly and coasts without too low or high of RPM. Gas mileage is actually really decent if you don't gun it or brake hard. I also tend to prefer the interior and exterior of vehicles as they become considered "oldskool" and I love the minimal, sleek, streamlined design of the early-mid 2000s toyota suv's and the highlander I have looks awesome. It's a powerful, quiet, 3.3 L, V-6 engine and can haul a 4x8 Uhaul trailer filled up with no difficulties and has a 5,000lb tow capacity. In the end, this suv is the best car I've eve4 owned. NOT that you need to do a whole lot of preventative care but as long as you do your scheduled maintenance and change the oil on basically any toyota, it'll take care of you for hundreds of thousands of miles.

Love this vehicle!

by The Ol Buzzard from Granville, Vermont 05747 on Thu Feb 08 2018

Meets all my needs for a SUV, third row seating, 4WD, V6, easy entry/exit, great sight lines, roof rack, tons of space, runs like a top! Hows that..yea I love this car.

1 2 3 4 5

Our Take on the 2005 Toyota Highlander

It's not obvious to me in the beginning, but after a week of driving the Highlander, it's becoming a regular member of the family. At first sight I think, "eh, just another SUV," but the Highlander continues to surprise me. It has quietly molded its family-friendliness around my busy mom life and I am just realizing it. This proves: Never judge a book by its cover.

I start to feel differently about the Highlander when I first load my son and all his belongings: water bottle, sippy cup, toy, book and his stuffed animal. Then there's my stuff, too: purse, water bottle, and snack (moms, how do we do it?). I open the door and find two cupholders located at armrest level (not in the bottom of the door, where... Read More