2008 Highlander

2008 Toyota Highlander

2008 Toyota Highlander

Have you driven the 2008 Toyota Highlander?

This Highlander is Incredible

by In Toyota We Trust from Colorado on Tue Jan 18 2011

This SUV is awesome. It drives like a Camry, but handles snow confidently. There's plenty of room for a family, and the 3rd row seat is actually functional, partially due to the adjustable 2nd row seats. Reliability is top notch. Fuel economy comes in at around 21-22 mpg under mixed driving, but I've seen it pushing 30mpg on the highway. The ipod/accessory connection is handy. There's a ton of cupholders. Sad, but this is a great feature when you're hauling around a large family. Base stereo has great sound. The car heats and cools very quickly. All interior controls seem very clear and easy to use. I do wish that the 3rd row seat would fold as a 60/40 or 50/50 split, not just as one piece. I compared this SUV to the Pilot (both the 08 and 09), and this car feels much more athletic, smooth, and enjoyable to drive. The pilot's just seemed slow and bulky in comparison. If you're deciding between a Highlander and Pilot, PICK THE HIGHLANDER!

I followed the pack...

by Bonifacy Kocipala from Chicago on Fri Oct 26 2012

For years I managed to stay away from Toyotas, Hondas and Nissans. Even though everyone I know would recommend those 3 brands. My general perception has always been based on 2 principles: 1. every new car will perform well and 2. used cars as good as the care that owners took of them (oil changes, brakes maintenance, suspension maintenance etc.) I also did not agree with pricing of those cars for lackluster features they would offer. I promised myself to try Toyota is I decide to buy next used car. I must say I am quite happy with the choice. True, the features are abysmal in my Base version (but keep in mind that I switched from a full option 2005 Cadillac Escalade) but I like that I have 4x4 and V6 engine without having to take premium option. I like a gas millage (my old car would do 12 mpg) and acceleration (despite my old car having 345 hp engine). Brakes and suspension are really nice. It is a little louder engine that my old escalade but oh well. Overall it is a good used car. I would probably hesitate to buy a new Toyota or used at blue book value but I got this at below-the-book value and I enjoy it.

Happy Toyota family

by PrincessButtercup from Indiana on Tue Jul 10 2012

This was a no brainer for my husband and me. Toyota is the only brand of car I have driven for the past 10 years. We recently traded in my husband's 2004 Toyota Avalon (135k miles...not a problem and rode like a dream!) for our 2008 Highlander Sport. He now drives my former 2007 Camry SE, which has 72k miles and still runs like a brand new car. Although I can't speak as to the Highlander's reliability yet, I'm really not worried at all. (I also had a 2005 Scion tC with 99k miles, which the Camry replaced. Again, not a lick of trouble.) Nothing beats that peace of mind. Aside from that, I was pleasantly surprised at how my Highlander handles. It drives like a car, so I don't feel like I'm eating up the road. It's as smooth as my husband's old Avalon, and the V6 actually provides for significant power in such a large vehicle. I love all of the safety features; as a mom, that's very important! The size, comfort and (anticipated) quality just cannot be beaten, especially by an American auto maker. I'm sure I could have gotten a Chevy Traverse for less than the Highlander, but it all comes back to quality.

love, love, love this vehicle

by my LAST vehicle from British Columbia, Canada on Sun Jan 04 2009

Let me tell ya, we've owned the 2007 BMW X5, 2007 ford Sport Trak, and 2008 ford Escape, and this is FINALLY the vehicle we've been looking for. We bought the 2008 Limited Highlander and are SO pleased that we did. This vehicle FAR exceeds expectations and I like it much more than the BMW X5 (pleasant surprise for me). Loads of interior room, awesome 3rd row seating, back up camera, and it runs like a dream in the snow and ice. My children have lots of room and 10 cup holders in all (sadly, a BIG feature for me) is SO handy. Acceleration is awesome (I drive the highway 2 hours every day). By far the quietest ride I've had. I will NEVER buy anything else again. I'll run this one into the ground, then get myself a new one.

The perfect family SUV

by SUV family car from Eastern NC on Wed Jul 13 2011

We bought this after trading our gas guzzling Escalade. It is better in almost every way except the v8 power. The ride and refinement is buttery smooth and the cabin is ultra quiet. We bought a certified used 2008 V6 Sport and it is perfect for a family of 4. Gas mileage has been 23 Hwy 21 city. We will likely keep this suv for at least 5 to 10 years. Toyota knows how to build the perfect family vehicle. I recommend this to anyone considering a mid-size SUV. It can't be beat!

We Are Happy with Our Highlander

by Former Mini-van Driver from Central Minnesota on Tue Jun 24 2008

In the past, I have driven a Suburban, a full-size conversion van, and a mini van. When we decided that it was time for a new vehicle, we listed a couple of things that we absolutely needed: seating for 7 and 4-wheel drive. I also wanted a vehicle that looked somewhat sporty. After countless test drives of min-vans, SUV's and CUV's, it was really no contest. The Highlander was our pick. It handles well and accelerates nicely. The listed gas MPG, while not great, was better than some other SUV/CUV's. Toyota's reputation for reliability also influenced our decision. The interior suits both my 6' husband and 5'2" me -- that is not always the case in many SUV's. There are a couple of things that I would change - it would be nice to have a split third-row seat. There is not much storage behind the third-row seat, but for us that is not a problem because we seldom use the third-row seats. There is also a large blind spot that a person needs to get used to (but we found the same problem on most of the SUV's we tested.) I do really like the center console that switches with the 7th seat (although I don't think an adult could ride on that 7th seat for very long; it is great for grandchildren for short trips). One thing that really pleased us was that we actually get better mileage than was listed. We have taken our Highlander on several long trips, and we both really enjoy driving this vehicle.

2008 Highlander is great

by duke from Central NY on Tue Apr 12 2011

I helped my dad purchase this 2008 Highlander. I got a super deal on it. He gave up a 2003 Dodge Minivan for this and gained AWD, better handling, and better reliability. I love driving this suv as it handles well, great pickup, good storage, excellent 3rd row to fit 2 carseats. Instrument displays are well-lit with good ergonomics. Nice large buttons on the dash for radio and temps. Very easy to use. I also like being able to keep the headlights switched on (they turn off automatically after you turn the car off). Wish they had automatic DRL's - you would think a car of this caliber would have 'em. Otherwise, very happy with the purchase and it's good on gas for an AWD.

RX350 in a Highlander Suit

by Ron from MA on Thu Feb 28 2008

I bought a 4x4 Sport with leather, climate control, and a sunroof. It really is the perfect SUV. It has some of the most high tech safety features out there, a lot of which are made possible by the electric steering. I feel like the sport supension cures of a lot of body roll that you would expect from an SUV while still giving a smooth and quiet ride. That matched with the sport shift can really help you forget your in an SUV on twisty roads. The interior lay out is awesome and looks quite expensive, but as you'll hear a lot, the materials are hard to the touch. The interior is massive and the seating configuration has endless possibilities. It feels big inside yet it's the same lenght as a camry. power is impressive and smooth and still gives you better mpg than other cross overs. It can get pricey so make sure you find out the invoice for the one you want specifically and don't let the dealership push you around.

Toyotas have been reliable for us

by Central Indiana from Central Indiana on Wed Sep 05 2012

The wife and I have been looking for a new used car with third row seating. While we did not test drive any other car; I did however talk with about 5 current Highlander owners. All were very easy to chat with, and everyone let me at look around there cars. Easy to do when you have your kids with you. I was very pleased with everyones postive feedback. Need to drive for awhile to have a better review for everyone else, but the People at the dealership in Lima Ohio were great! They answered all the wifes questions! Would buy another car from them. Last point I do prefer a V6 engine vs a 4 Cyl engine . This helps with hilly areas; Yes, I know Indiana is very flat! Good hunting for your next car.

Highlander 2008

by Everyday driver from Cleveland, OH on Tue Aug 16 2011

Bought it used. Looking for roomy SUV, but good on mileage and AWD. Got that and so much more. I avg between 20-22 mpg, which is really nice for the power and size of the car. I would get one again if I had to do it all over again. I am driving it til it dies......which I hope is a very long time.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Our Take on the 2008 Toyota Highlander

If the redesigned Toyota Highlander is to succeed, it has its work cut out for it. It needs to transport and entertain youngsters, swallow cargo and conquer snow. It needs to be safe, comfortable and luxurious, and it needs to do all these things without breaking the bank — in car payments or at the pump. A tall order, no doubt, but the leading midsize SUV competitors really have gotten that good.

The
Toyota Highlander makes the grade on all counts, though it doesn't excel in any one area. Provided it can maintain its outstanding resale value and reliability, it should prove a smart — if not particularly captivating — choice for years to come.

Base, Sport and Limited trim... Read More