2009 Toyota Highlander

Best car I've ever owned

by from Patterson on September 19, 2017

Very comfortable, room for the whole family. Rides very good. Loved it so much gave it to my son & family. They love it too

What's not to Love?

by from Hayden, ID on May 24, 2017

Superb V6 performance and handling. Very spacious inside. I'm hoping for the legendary Toyota reliability!

Great ride

by from Casco, ME on May 10, 2017

So far, great on gas mileage and a very comfortable ride with good performance. Lots of great features on the limited edition.

Recall Champion

by from Exton on February 28, 2017

4 cyl Highlander seem too heavy for 2.7L engine but don't worry, it is not that bad. In reality, there are only 2 conditions where I felt shortage of engine power. 1 is highway passing. 2 is driving in mountainous areas. Around town power is adequate even with 4 passengers on-board. Being lightest CUV in its class helps. It wasn't perfectly reliable, after all it fell victim of standard Toyota problem - water pump, which was replaced by warranty. And if not for 7 recalls, ranging from bad sticker on door seal to possible fire from window switch, the car is perfectly reliable. The material quality is good, there is no rust under it. Original Dunlop tires were the worst tires I ever had on my car. The comfort is very good, rear seat is wast and middle person will not sit on the bump. Driving long hours will not hurt your back. But driving it, generally gives little rewards. Steering is numb, imprecise and road feel non-existent. The transmission is happy to switch gears even when you wish it didn't. Blue tooth is missing on this trim but you get second row vents. This is a car that will make your family life easy but you give up driving experience for that.

So happy I bought this

by from on October 27, 2016

Went from a 2009 Camry with 127,000 miles to 2009 Highlander with 85,743 miles. Love the Toyota brand so was confident this vehicle would fit my needs and I haven't been disappointed. Not crazy about cloth seats-they pick up everything- but love the roominess and the very comfortable ride.

Best SUV ever !!

by from Aston,Pa on April 10, 2016

Traded my 2004 lexus Rx330 for 2009 Highlander Hybrid. I started to drive for Uber and the Rx was killing me on gas. The Highlander had 64k on it, now 9 months later i have 100k. Not 1 single problem, looking to get over 200k!

Worth every Penny!

by from Pickens, SC on August 8, 2015

Bought my 2009 Toyota Highlander 3 years ago with 77,000 miles on it. I traded in my 2009 Mazda 3 hatchback (also a very good car) because my wife and I needed more room for our growing family. The space inside for toting kids and/or groceries is excellent. The ability to change the seats at your leisure also comes in handy when hauling different types of cargo on a daily basis as well as on family vacations. Reliability has been top notch. Other than changing the oil and brakes, we haven't had a single issue with the vehicle. Ride is smooth, and the 4 cylinder engine is more powerful than you'd think (Most come with the 6cyl. engine). MPG for an SUV of this size is phenomenal. We average 22 in the city and 27 on the highway. I also like the option of having a third row just in case we needed it. It's perfect for young children and can even fit nimble adults for shorter rides (longer rides are doable for growing teens). However, if you don't need the 3rd row, you can fold it down and gain a ton of cargo space in literally 10 seconds. Excellent, excellent, excellent car! I've always been taught that you get what you pay for. It's definitely true for the 2009 Toyota Highlander. Take a look!

Truck of my dream

by from methuen, MA on November 21, 2013

It has everything i was looking. it is reliable. It is comfortable. it good on gas. It is perfect for New England weather. It has everything I wanted.

Smooth riding suv.

by from State college, pa on November 1, 2013

Bought this 2009 limited highlander one month ago. Ride is very quite, gas mileage is better than expected. Handles great, sound system is excellent. This highlander has 32,000 miles on it, looks and smells like new. I expect many years of problem free ownership.

Toyota Highlander Hybrid

by from Chicago on May 21, 2013

Since i have no other recourse, I have decided to write a review. I bought a brand-new, completely upgraded Highlander (hybrid) in 2009. This is the most unreliable car I have ever encountered. Starting with the first year of ownership, it has lost battery power a dozen times. Sometimes it has required battery replacement, other times a jump (which can be hugely inconvenient depending on where you are and whether you have access to a cables/help). I have 2 friends with the same car and they have had the same problem. The remote key has also suddenly lost battery power, leaving you stranded because there is no manual way to start the car. The gas mileage on this hybrid is only ever-so-slighly better than a standard SUV, and you pay for it in loss of power. The seat warmers barely heat up - total waste. The GPS system is impossible to navigate. The icing on the cake for me is that with less than 30k miles on the car, it failed an emissions test, requiring repair. On a hybrid! I cannot get rid of this car fast enough and will NEVER buy a Toyota again.

Our Expert Review: 2009 Toyota Highlander