Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2011 Highlander

2011 Toyota Highlander

2011 Toyota Highlander

Have You Driven the 2011 Toyota Highlander?

Meeting expectations

by Very Choosy Buyer from Connecticut on Wed Apr 13 2011

I purchased the Basic model with the Tech and Cold Weather packages. Although the Tech Package is definitely pricey, you wind up having to get it in order to get the features you want. In this configuration, the car is fairly well appointed and comfortable and gives the overall impression of quality. However, my prior car was a rock-bottom base model minivan from another company and it came with both rear audio control and control of the rear air conditioning from the front, both of which, I was disappointed to find, are not present in this configuration. I live in New England, but elected to buy a FWD only car to get better mileage and minimize maintenance and potential repairs. The car performed absolutely tremendously in one of the worst winters ever, with its anti-lock brakes, traction control, and snow-mode. It has the V-6 engine and in normal conditions the car drives well and rides very smoothly, with good acceleration and great braking. Again, this is somewhat a function of not having to carry around the extra weight of the AWD system. One complaint about the driveability is that the car does not seem to want to go straight and therefore requires continual steering adjustment. Lastly, it would have been much better if Toyota had included a six-speed transmission to provide better gas mileage. As for design shortfalls, although there are not many, there are at least a couple. The third row seat in this class is definitely a rarity and they did manage to get it in there, but it is very tight, difficult to get into, and when folded consumes usable space. Also be aware that, when the third row seat is up, there is virtually no stowage behind it. The aforementioned minivan could take several medium suitcases edgewise plus smaller bags on top -- a definite plus when taking a trip. Also, Toyota probably spent a large amount of time designing the removable second-row center section, which can be swapped with an interchangeable console and stowed beneath the front row console. Unfortunately, this completely consumes any usable storage space in the passenger area and the benefit is not worth it. Just try finding a place to stow your tissue box in the Highlander.

Love the HIghlander

by flyfisher from Harleysville, PA on Sat Sep 24 2011

I really love the Toytota Highlander. I do alot of highway miles for my job and traded in a 2007 Nissan Murano which was not comfortable on the long trips. I have driven 10,000 miles in 3 months and would recommend this vehichle highly. The seat is comfortable in the limited version with back support and leg support. The three rows are great for sitting the kids in the very back. The middle row can move forward to provide additional leg room for the third row. The nav system is great as well as the sound system. I get about 24 mpg on the hwy. Acceleration is great and the ride is great. This is about the 30th car I have owned (alot I know) this is the best vehichle I ever owned. I also like the free oil changes and tire rotation that comes with the vehichle.

Excellent Gas Mileage, Sharp Looks & Comfortable

by Indiana Driver from Indiana on Sat Mar 26 2011

We bought the 4 cylinder base model last weekend with the 6 speed transmission and it has great gas mileage for day to day driving. The 4 cylinder has plenty of acceleration - so don't be afraid to try one if you also test drive the V6 version. In 80% city driving during the past week we averaged 23.4 MPG (this includes my wife having to wait in a line of cars each day for 10-15 minutes to pick up the kids at school). The higher gas prices drew me to this engine style and we are quite satisfied with it's performance. The interior is well laid out and the exterior looks very sharp, especially with the chrome and the "mean smile" at the front grille that is quite a contrast to the Mazda CX-9 we were also considering. The ride is nice, quiet, comfortable and it handles rough pavement very well. I was leaning towards the new Ford Explorer, but my wife kept pushing me towards the Highlander. Once I tried it, I was very happy. We looked at a lot of mid-sized SUVs and for the price, it's hard to find a good one with the size, build quality, interior & exterior good looks and MPG.

Very Comfortable Vehicle

by Highlander Reviewer from Virginia on Wed Sep 07 2011

Have had several suvs and a minivan in the past 10 years. A Chevy Tahoe, BMW X5, (2) Nissan Muranos, Honda CRV, plus a Honda Oddesy minivan. The Highlander is the most comfortable of all of the suvs, and almost as comfortable as the Oddesy. It is more fuel efficient than all except the CRV which is of course a 4 cyl. vs the 6 cyl in the Highlander. This vehicle is very versatile due to it's size, and has very adaptable interior configurations. The Highlander is a nice blend of a full size sedan, a suv, and a minivan. We really like it.

Love it! Love it! Love it!

by Mom of 2 from Phoenix, AZ on Fri Oct 14 2011

I have nothing bad to say about my 2011 Toyota Highlander. I have the non-hybrid model and am averaging about 21 mpg. It's a very smooth ride and fun to drive. It came with standard features that I really didn't need, but have come to enjoy, like the sunroof, leather seats and auto-closing rear door. The fold-out 3rd row is perfect for our family of four, because we only need the extra seating occasionally, and get to enjoy the extended cargo space the rest of the time. Toyota has also exceeded my expectations with their customer service. I highly recommend Toyota and specifically, the Highlander.

2011 Hylander LTD

by GLJames from Beaufort, SC on Sun May 08 2011

Love the vehicle! Comfort, styling, features. I like it all. If it could get better mpg without going to a hybrid it could be better, but would not trade it for anything else on the market right now.

So Far So Good

by CoachCAB from Northern VA near DC on Mon Jul 04 2011

I've only owned it for 3 months and 4k miles, but I don't have any complaints. It has awesome pickup, handles as well, or better, as any SUV I've owned, is very comfortable, gets better gas mileage than advertised, and the dealer I deal with is very responsive (Fairfax Toyota). I wish it had another 6 inches of room behind the 3rd seat and a few more storage areas (like under the front seats), and I'm not thrilled with the look of the headlight covers, but those are the only things I'm not thrilled with - everything else about the car is awesome. I intend to keep it as long as possible - 8-10 on most of my cars so far, so I'll try and remember to update this in a couple of years.

Extremely Satisfied

by Happy Camper from Abilene, TX on Thu Oct 20 2011

I've had my Highlander for 4 months and am extremely satisfied with the performance, comfort and fuel efficiency. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anohter wanting a stylist SUV.

Solid vehicle

by Tacoman from South Carolina on Thu Mar 10 2011

Very pleased with my 2011 Highlander SE so far. I've averaged 24 MPG with th V6. This vehicle rides nice and is very comfortable on trips. Could use a little more cargo room but I utilize the roof rack if needed. Overall very satisfied

Toyotal Highlander

by Jim from on Fri Sep 23 2011

We bought a 2011 Highlander and love it. We needed 3 rows of seating and like the way this car was laid out. The kids bucket seats which make it easy to get to the third row. It drives very well and gas mileage is good for this size car.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Our Take on the 2011 Toyota Highlander

If you're looking for a three-row crossover, the 2011 Toyota Highlander is as sound a pick as you can get. It's affordable and it has a quiet, comfortable ride with a family-friendly interior.

Even as newcomers like the Ford Explorer and Dodge Durango face off against the Highlander and the Honda Pilot, I still find the Highlander a capable underdog. If you opt for the V-6 engine, it performs as well as the rest, too.

I tested a brand-new 2011 model with just 65 miles on it, but the 2012s are already on sale and are equipped and priced almost identically. See a comparison.

Family-Friendly Interior
While most families would be well-served by nearly any three-row crossover on... Read More