2003 Matrix

4.6 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Love It!

by Margaret from San Francisco, CA on December 31, 2008

I got my 2003 standard model w/ Auto Trans used at 1 year old w/ 11K mileage. It had a package so that it had power & remote locks..love that! I have had it for 5 great years! It's sporty, fun, reliable, gets good gas mileage. Love the high ceiling with big windows which makes for better visibility and easier to get in & out of the doors. Also like the higher ride. I could fit lots of stuff in it. Used to be an avid IKEA and garage sale shopper and could fit furniture and all kinds of big and little things. Noise or lack of power were no problems for me. But, someone rear-ended me 2 weeks ago and "totalled" it. I think it protected me from getting seriously injured. The guy at the Tow shop told me that it takes a lot of the brunt, so you dont. My insurance is giving me more than I thought I would get as settlement so resale value is good. Consumers Reports listed it in their category of "Best Cars". So, here I am again, on cars.com looking for another just like it!

I love this car..

by Giddyup from Elizabeth, Colorado on February 12, 2013

I haven't owned this long just bought it 2 mos ago 2003 XR with 74,000 miles. It's a fun little car to drive..downside no power low end,,,,but as you speed up it kicks in and has alot of GO...That works I don't need a speeding ticket with a fast car. Just a perfect all around economical car with space to haul things. I live on a small ranch need to large bags from feed store etc. The savings in gas from my Ford F-350 more than pays for the car in gas, payment and insurance.

A very reliable car for its cost

by dnase from Silver Spring, MD on September 6, 2017

I will start out by saying that I absolutely loved my Toyota Matrix. I bought it after my Chevy cavalier decided to kick the bucket. I spent about 7K on it, but it was, in my opinion, a solid investment. The car lasted me about 6 years, and it drove up to 176,000 miles until the transmission died. I am a small person, reaching only 4ft. 11inch. in height, so being able to feel comfortable and see over the steering wheel was essential. My matrix was perfect in that respect. The cabin of the car was laid out so that everything I needed was in reaching distance. The bucket seats in the back and front were roomy enough for my taller friends and family, but also comfortable enough for long trips. The material of the seats wore well, and cleaning them was no hassle. Driving the vehicle was easy. I live and commute in a metropolitan area, so aggressive driving is the norm. The car handle well in bumper to bumper traffic, and was able to make u-turns with ease. I did have an issue with speeding up to merge, but with a 4-cylinder vehicle that's always a problem. My matrix was an AWD vehicle, so driving it in the ice and snow was a breeze. This feature really helped me out during a couple snow storms this past year, since I am required to commute to work even in bad weather. The exterior color of my vehicle was silver. This color wore well over the years, especially during some very strong storms where tree branches and debris nicked my car. The scratches and dents were only visible if you looked for them, so my car maintained it's aesthetic even after 6 years. Most of my friends and family could not believe it was a 2003 model and not something newer. My overall experience with this vehicle was great, with some exceptions like not being able to speed up on the highway when needed. I am going to miss my matrix, but I hope this review helps others who are looking!

Reliable in WV

by rynn70 from West Virginia on February 8, 2011

We bought this car new because we wanted a vehicle our dogs could ride in without getting the seats dirty. It's great for that, they ride in the cargo area. It's also holds more cargo than it looks, I hauled a twin sized mattress and box spring in the back with the seats down, could almost close the hatch :) I also love the hard cover on the back of the rear seats so cargo doesn't ruin the seats. Dirt just wipes out. I have 108,000 on mine and it's still going strong, no rust and with regular snow tires I've never missed a day of work on nasty winter days. My next vehicle will be a Toyota also.

Can't find anything to replace it

by B from NW IN on January 7, 2014

Best car I've ever owned. Bought it new in 2003. Had auto vent shades put on right away. Bought new headlights last year since old ones finally were so "aged" it cut my visibility. Car always had awesome headlights. Great gas mileage. Love the in dash inverter. With over 225,000 miles I thought I might go look for a new car with more luxury. Can't find anything to replace it. Hybrids can't tow because you can't put a hitch where the battery is located. Only 2 things I don't like about the car and never did like---not enough ground clearance (snow in NW IN) and the dash bleeds out (hard to read). All other features are pluses. Love the Moon roof, seating position, controls are sensible and easy to reach. Rear window in the hatch opens which is handy in hauling long 2 x 4's, etc. This car has the best combination of features of any car I've ever driven. Every now and then I go out to look to replace it---can't find anything that would be worth spending for a new car. She still runs great and looks great.

Great set of wheels

by Carlos from Chicago, IL on May 19, 2006

I bought the Matrix because I'm a fan of Toyota, and wanted reliable and functional transportation. (I hate paying money for repairs). The Matrix is one of the first "crossover" vehicles where it's a bit of a car with extra space inside. The fold-down seats give you lots of cargo room, but there is even plenty of head and legroom in the back with adults sitting there. The good gas mileage is appreciated, and small niceties like AC power in the dash make the car a bit unique, and again, functional. I trust this car to meet by needs until I get tired of it and choose something else.

in love with this car!!!!!!!!

by switching from trucks from Portland Maine on January 3, 2014

Hand down best car ever! Brand new in 03 never given me one problem ever!!!!! I recommended this car to anyone with kids! Ive never been so happy with safety in any car but this one!

Very Good car

by CarFever from Columbia,MO on December 11, 2010

I had this car from 2005 to 2010! Never had any problems! Totally reliable! For parents with young kids: I even could fit 3 booster seats on the back seat! Great car!

best little car I have ever had

by Michelle from Bridge City Tx on November 26, 2013

I bought my matrix in 2003 brand new, first one to be sold from a dealer in my home town. I love my little car,it is 13 years old now and 198,000 miles on it and still runs like It was brand new. The only thing I have problems with was the rims, they were port installed rims and would eat tires. Fixed that with a new set and good to go. I have had to evacuated twice and this car was the best, put the seats flat and put all my boxes in the back, to having a baby and hauling all the baby stuff that you need to having a toddler that is a messy child in the back seat. This little car has been through it all and really is the best one I have ever had. And to top it off it still looks somewhat new for its age. :-)

Most reliable car I've ever owned

by Lemerson70 from Santa Rosa, ca on July 26, 2017

Great on gas, Drove this car everywhere! Put almost 300,000 on it before it got totaled in an accident. Safe, fun car to drive. Seats fold down for extra cargo space, I even hauled lumber in it! Great turning radius, ah I miss this one....been to vegas, Tahoe, loves to travel

1 2 3