2004 Prius

2004 Toyota Prius

2004 Toyota Prius

Have You Driven the 2004 Toyota Prius?

Best car we ever owned

by Retired from Arizona on Wed May 09 2007

This is the best car we've owned so far.We especially like the mileage we get In the city, if I drive speed limits and do"t accellarate too fast wecan average between 44'47 mpg. ON the cross country trip to Florida and back traveling at 65 mph(ten miles below the legal speed limit of 75 mph in most states) we averaged 47.3 mpg. On thr return trip I stepped it up most of the time to 75 mph and the mileage dropped to 44.1 mpg. Not bad.

Most Economical Vehicle I have owned

by CPG3 from Marion County, Oregon on Fri Jul 03 2015

The Prius I own, a 2004, was purchased in 2005, and had 20,000 miles on it, and had been a returned lease vehicle. When my local Toyota dealership sold it to me, they treated the sale as if I were buying a brand new vehicle. I have had no repairs other than routine maintenance. I still own the Prius now in 2015. The Prius regularly gets between 45 and 52 miles per gallon based on weather and the use of air conditioning, and the terrain on a given trip. My highest milage number was 61 between Sacramento, California and Los Angeles California. The Prius currently has over 160,000 miles, and has yet to need brakes. While I am not crazy about the styling, and the car allows a fair amount of road noise, the economy and reliability are exceptional. In addition, the interior is large enough that it can seat 5, 4 in reasonable comfort, and with the rear seats down can accommodate nearly anything I have wanted to haul. We have loved this car, and when we are ready we will be passing it down to our daughter rather than selling it. It is nowhere near wearing out.

The facts are in the numbers

by Krueger from Ohio on Wed Dec 25 2013

The Toyota prius is a mid size car that offers fuel economy in the 40-50 mpg range depending on driving style, terrain, temperature. Boasting an extremely reliable yet timid 1.5L chain driven engine, the prius offers an economic advantage over its belt driven competition. In addition to reliability and fuel economy the prius is also extremely safe with 4 star ratings on both front and side tests. In addition to safety the prius is also rather heavy at over 3000lbs adding not only to its safety in the event of an accident but also to its handling and quality of ride. Previous to the prius we owned a vw tdi and realized that the 20-30 percent gain in mpg was lost to the 20-30 percent increase in cost of diesel over unleaded at the pump!! That said the tdi also required a $1400 timing belt change every 80k that almost always has to be performed by the dealer due to the tools and computer software involved. The prius on the other hand is chain driven and can go for up to 500k without a change. There is however the battery that seems to be the biggest weakness of the vehicle requiring replacement at roughly 250k. There are however shops that specialize in this and offer remanufactored batteries for as little as $895 plus a $200 instillation.

2004 Prius

by Pete from on Mon Oct 27 2008

We take 11,000 mile trips across the US each summer and enjoy the reliability and efficiency of the 50 mpg. The state of WI was a surprise as the car mileage jumped from 45-48 to 54-58 with every fill up there. Once outside WI our mileage fell back to the mid 40's. The seat (pedal/wheel/seat location and lumbar support) need some attention for future models.

Uses car for To save gas

420,000 and still going...

by CCF from Barrie, ON on Tue Feb 24 2015

I purchased this vehicle, 8 years ago and it was a 3 year old car with 22,000km on it so the first owner did not drive much. As the second owner I have commuted over 160km to work every day and taken it on road trips to Washington, DC and a number of other long distance trips. This vehicle has been exceptional in many ways. I have not had to make any changes in batteries. The only thing that has had to be repaired is the water pump that just went about six months ago and the expense to fix it was nominal. Not only would I recommend this car as an exceptional value in gas savings - I tank for half the price of a non-hybrid and go the same distance - the body has not rusted as it is made from fiberglass and looks pretty much as good as I did when I bought it. I have taught all five of my kids to drive in it and they all want it when I decide to buy a new car.

I've had several cars and this is the best.

by javajohn23 from Simi Valley, California on Mon Mar 13 2017

My Prius is 13 years old and runs like new. I have owned it 12 of those years. This is the best car I've ever owned. I usually drive slower than the speed limit around town. I do most of my driving on the freeway at 75 MPH. I am averaging 40 MPG.

Very reliable and economical transportation

by Mike315 from Colton, ny on Sun Jul 23 2017

Its a great vehicle but the seats are way to hard and barely any adjustments. Long drives would make my legs numb. Got average 42-44mpg sometimes 50 on highway and in winter low of 35mpg. Would of kept it longer if it was more comfortable.

GREAT GAS MILEAGE!!

by AndyCars from Fort Collins, Colorado on Mon Aug 07 2017

Great design, easy to use, great value! Over 600miles on one take of gas! Great commuter for work or travels.

Best Car Ever

by Car Owner from Wellington on Thu Aug 03 2017

We drove this car for 251,000 miles with the original battery. And, very few problems. Inside and outside were almost like new. With little design change, the vehicle did not age. 251,000 miles on the original battery. Yes we got the value out of this vehicle.

The hybrid

by libouski from Los angeles on Mon Nov 27 2006

This is a truly wonderful car. Its great for the enviorment and your wallet. the price may be a bit steep but overall its definently worth it. One of my friends bought one and the moment I saw it I was hooked. Its gotta be my favorite car on the market today.

1 2 3