2006 Prius

2006 Toyota Prius

2006 Toyota Prius

4.5

4 out of 5 stars Exterior Styling

Have you driven the 2006 Toyota Prius?

Great fuel economy miser, great city car

by tnt71 from Long Island, NY on Fri Mar 14 2008

I drive this car for mileage and consistently get 50MPG in a mix of city/highway. It is a solid, well made car and I love the electronics/multi functional display. It is roomy and a family of four could easily fit. The trunk space is average. If you have any expectation of having a fun to drive car from a sporty standpoint, forget it! The car does not have much power and if you try and take an S curve quickly the body roll is awful. After driving this car for years my wife's minivan feels fast. It also does not handle weight very well like traveling with four people and luggage. In short, for suburban/urban commutes, the car is perfect. It is the best car I have ever owned to be in traffic with since it is quiet and gets great mileage, even in bumper to bumper traffic. If you live in rural areas where you are consistently accelerating and cruising to 70MPH plus the car just does not work.

Awesome car, but not for drag racers

by Eco Queen from Riverdale, MD on Fri Jan 29 2010

This is a great car - comfortable, convenient, and easy to drive. It gets terrific gas mileage, though I'm only getting about 43 mpg average (I drive only in the city). It is very responsive, but sometimes when I need to accelerate quickly, I feel like I'm pegging the engine to Maximum. This isn't a car for someone who wants to drag race! The interior layout is perfect - every detail has been thought of. Lots of places to store stuff, two "cigarette lighter" outlets, and comfortable seats for people under 5'10". I love the hatchback design. I totally love this car. For me, it is perfect.

Best Car I've Ever Owned

by greenboy from on Wed Jan 27 2010

Surprisingly good performance with more than adequate acceleration, much better than the Honda. Fun to drive. Unbeatable utility.... drop the rear seat down and you can carry anything. Excellent room in back seat. Reliability has been flawless, and dealer service excellent. MPG in the winter suffers, but still low 40's, which can't be beat.

Reliable and a good commuting vehicle

by Hybrid Commuter from Merrimack, NH on Tue May 31 2011

I've owned a 2006 Toyota Prius for 9 months now, and I have to share that this car is a great commuting vehicle. My daily 100 mile commute consumes only 1/3 of my gas tank. My monthly gas bill is so manageable now! This car also has a backup camera, which really helps with parking. When I first got my Prius I thought it felt a little awkward and not at all like a typical car. After a few drives though I was completely comfortable driving it around and knowing the outside boundaries of the car. The windows on the sides and back really let you see what is around you; the hatchback bar in the rear window is distracting at first, but you get used to having it there and when the car behind you has headlights on, it actually blocks the lights. The only thing I don't like is that the seats don't adjust up and down (of course they adjust back and forth). I have to sit on a towel to help my legs be comfortable. It did cost a bit more than other cars of its year but the small investment at the beginning pays off not only in less gas consumption but also in less maintenance work. Other than that, it has been an amazingly reliable vehicle and I'm so glad I got one!

Can you beat 52 MPG ?

by Francois from Arlington, VA on Fri Aug 03 2007

Everyone heard about the Prius and its get great mileage, but did you ever wonder what real-life consumption data are like? My wife and I bought our Prius at the end of 2006. As soon as we got the car we added ?EV? mode add-on that can be purchased on the internet for about $35. This add-on allows you to drive short distances in fully electric mode when you?re in town. That?s right, no gas. That?s really impressive and very satisfying when you pass by one of those big SUVs. The Prius is simply the best car I ever had. It?s not a sports car, but it handles the road just great. It?s very quiet and it?s loaded with gadgets: backup camera, in-dash 6 CD player, etc. One of the most distinctive features of the Prius is its navigation screen that allows you to see which engine (gas or electric) is being used to move the car. You also see your battery level, the battery being recharged and your average gas consumption. On average in town we get 42 MPG, as we get approximately 52 MPG on the highway. I go to the gas station every two weeks and spend around $25 ! Can any other car on the US market beat that?

Excellent car

by Regular guy next door from Little Rock, AR on Mon Dec 05 2011

There is nothing to say - There is no competition for this car - In today's market there is no other car that you can buy for this price that gives 50+MPG, hauls 5 average sized adult passengers comfortably+2 large suitcases+2 carry ons (or you can fold down rear seats and make room for 6 large suitcases) and can go from 0-60MPH in less than 10 seconds. Don't let the outside dimensions fool you-Its intelligent inside design surprises everyone who sits in my car. Only reason I did not give 5 stars for reliability is because I have owned it for just 2 months and it is too soon to talk about reliability. So far I have had no problems at all. Many reviewers say it is not peppy enough but as long as you don't compare it to a sports car you should be fine.

Settled for a Prius, but I'm lovin' it

by blazing star from Northern Illinois on Wed Nov 14 2007

What I really wanted was an electric vehicle. Until one is produced with the range, MPH and safety features that I require, I'm "stuck" with my Prius. I purchased the car over two years ago and I love this vehicle. My favorite part of the vehicle is the super low emissions as well as the excellent MPG that I'm recognizing. In the warmer months, I consistently get over 55 MPG. In the winter months, I'm dismayed by a ten point drop in my MPG to about 45. The only cons I have are that of a lacking seat comfort and the fragmented rear view. The latter was overcome. You simply end up getting used to the view.

The best hybrid vehicle your money can buy

by Southern Greenthumb from TN on Wed Oct 21 2015

The Toyota Prius is a great car if you are looking to reduce your transportation expenses. It really lives up to its high MPG ratings, is unbelievably simple to maintain, and has a large following of kind owners willing to help you if you run into any problems. The car can go 10,000 miles between oil changes, has tires that are insanely cheap to replace, and does not have many of the belts that a conventional car does, though it does have a serpentine belt. The only thing I don't like about the car is the front seats. They are only adjustable four ways and do not provide much support on my body. Buying aftermarket leather seat covers alleviated the problem a bit, but not completely.

Strengths and Weaknesses

by Commuter from East Lansing MI on Tue May 01 2007

This car is well optimized for getting good mileage, but has a few flaws as well. The biggest is that in an effort to produce a slippery shape, the rear seat headroom was seriously compromised. I am 5'11" and can sit in the back only by scrunching down, and even then my head is rubbing the headliner. I can't imagine this would be safe in a collision, and it certainly isn't comfortable. One of my fellow carpoolers (also 5'11") can't sit in the back at all since the experience leaves him in back pain the next day. Thus the car's potential as a commuter vehicle is seriously compromised. It also tends to surge considerably on the highway unless cruise control is used. It would be best suited for around town use or commuting by one or two people, or a family with one child. (There isn't enough space for all the stuff that goes with two children.) That said, if it fits your needs you will do well in it and be happy. I am thinking that the new and somewhat more spacious Saturn Aura Green Line hybrid may be better as an all-round vehicle. The Saturn also seems a little more realistically priced as a well-equipped base model including standard safety features such as stability control and side airbags.

MOST ECONOMICAL CAR I HAVE OWNED

by tightwD from TROY,ILLINOIS on Mon Nov 21 2011

GREAT CAR!! ROOMY AND FOR RETIREES MY GAS BILL IS UNDER 40 BUCKS PER MONTH AND I DO NOT STAY HOME!!! LOVE HOW QUIET THE CAR IS EVEN ON WINDY DAYS AND HOW FAST IT CAN BE WHEN YOU MERGE AND IT IS A FUN AND SPUNKY CAR TO DRIVE. I HAVE NO DOUBT I WILL HAVE IT AS LONG IF NOT LONGER THAN THE 15 YEAR OLD CAMRY THAT HAS NEVER LEFT ME DOWN....STILL DRIVING IT TOO!! LOVE THE TOYOTA QUALITY!!!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7