2012 Prius Plug-in

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in

2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in

Have You Driven the 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in?

Great car for transportation

by Love the gas mileage. from Maryland on Thu Mar 28 2013

I have 5,000 miles on my plug-in Prius now. I love the car for what it is designed for, transportation with high gas mileage, but it is not a sporty fun car to drive. It does not have a feel for the road, it is sort of like driving your home appliances. Turn it on and it does its job. It is hard to see when backing up, even with the camera. The EV. mode changes with driving style. If you leave your foot on the pedal you will get about 6miles. If you drive reasonably, you will get 9 to 12 miles. While driving up and down hills, if you let off the pedal going down hill, the car will revert to regular Pruis mode and your EV miles will become even higher. By doing so, I often drive 15 miles to town with hybrid and EV mode and still don't use gas. The heat is generated from the engine like any car, so if you turn it on, the engine will run for a while. The interior is larger than the Volt and the seat is hard but flat. I am 6'3 and this makes the Prius more comfortable for me. Although the center console does get in the way and the storage area below it is hard to reach. This car does not come with a spare tire and I would rather give up some cargo area for a spare. At todays gas prices, I spend about $28 every fill up and it takes 8 gallons. It does have an almost 11 gallon tank but I dont let it get that low. The worst gas mileage I have gotten in the winter is 38mpg, but I did let it sit and warm up while de-icing the windows several times. My winter average is between 40 and 50 mpg depending on snow, warmups, if I pluged it in and my driving. My summer average has been 65 mpg. I dont always plug it in, but when I do I have averaged between 85 and 110 mpg. I have not noticed an increase in my electric bill, but I did also replace all of my light bulbs with CFL's. I don't know if that is a part of the reason my electric bill stayed the same even with the Pruis. All in all, I think it is a great car for transportation, I just wish it had longer EV distance and a spare tire. If you are considering a plug-in vehicle, I recommend you drive each one as I did. Each model has benefits all its own. Good luck.

Great modification to the Standard Prius

by Reformed Hypermiler Addict from Wisconsin on Sun Mar 24 2013

This car fits my schedule and lifestyle to a T. As a minister, I frequently make short trips to visit people, nursing homes, hospitals, etc. My car gets 11-17 miles per charge, depending on how I drive it. That covers most of my 'territory.' Even on the routine trips to the YMCA, 35 miles away, the car still gets 75-100 mpg. Plus, they let me plug it into a regular outlet in the back. After 2,500 miles, I'm getting 75 mpg. That's 50% better than my old 2009 Prius (50 mpg). And it is Winter now. Even in HV mode, the '12 is much better than my '09. The exterior is classy, sportier than the older model. No complaints there. The interior layout of the '09 was more functional, IMHO, than the '12. The seat is too hard, but the new model has much more leg room. This is extremely important for taller folks. The dash and console, as well as the steering wheel controls, are not as easy to use as the '09. I've driven the new car for 2 months, and still feel that way. The car charges in 2 1/2 hours. I haven't had a real desire to get a 'fast charger.' Many of my stops are about 2 hours, so I can usually charge up. Sometimes I charge up as many as 3 or 4 times in one day. I average about 10-12 charges per week. The rear camera, bluetooth connectivity, and HV/EV switch are especially nice to have. The car handles just like my old Prius, good - comparable to other cars in its class. I would recommend this to anyone who has easy access to electricity. I have found that even if (especially if) the trips are long, I'm saving more than 'another' model listed as a range-extended electric vehicle (rated at 37 mpg). On a couple long trips (non Interstate) I got close to 60 mpg with ambient temps around 20?F. "Your mileage may vary." The 3rd generation engine heats up faster, and retains that heat more than my old Prius. So, after cruising through town in EV mode, it returns to HV mode and achieves the mpg of a fully warmed up engine. That's very noticeable up in the northwoods. The extra cost of the extended battery may not pay for itself during the life of the car, but it's sure saving me money. I estimate that I have saved $40 in gas in the last 6 weeks. In the end, I recommend it.

Love & Enjoy'g the Ride!

by Ms Jersey from NJ on Mon Nov 11 2013

This is my 2nd Prius. traded the prev for a Prius PHV. The battery gives me 12 miles,..and get an avg of 75-80 on local rd and 52 on Hwy. Of course I don't race on the roads, and use the EV mode when accelerating mainly. Love the Interior ,..the comfort and all. Yes,..the pick up is a lil slow but that compensates for everything else. Its Grt for commuting, running errands and taking my kiddo's for their daily activities and of course,..the long drives,..don't have to think twice before going on a vacation now!

Better Than Expected

by PHEV GUY from Upstate NY on Fri Mar 22 2013

I was not sure the 11 mile EV range was enough to make a difference. It turns out the plugin version of the Prius is perfect given my situation. Most of my trips are less than 10 miles r/t at 35-45 mph. So fair am averaging 120 MPGe. So far it has proven to be a comfortable and reliable car.

Perfect commute car

by Alexander from San Jose,CA on Fri Oct 25 2013

I have about 12 miles to work and just used whole EV range. I can recharge car at work so I can use EV mode again back to home. So my average MPG about 140. I fill gas once per 2 month and my driving range is over 1000 miles per tank.

the most economic car on gas I have owned

by gas saver enthusiast from clifton new jersey on Tue Dec 25 2012

I like to say that the prius plug in toyota is one of the best built,reliable, dependable and gas saving car in the market today,Im very happy to have purchased one .

Trying 2BGreen

by 2BGreen from So Cal on Tue Oct 07 2014

The car is what I anticipated but NOT what was advertised. There are two models, a base model and a premium/delux model. The advertisement was for a premium model (which is nearly $5000 more) but this was not the case. None-the-less, the car itself thus far is great and delivers what I had researched. I have been to the gas station ONLY once since I purchased the vehicle nearly 1 month ago and my carbon footprint has been lowered.

Uses car for Towing

Most environt friendly car I've owned

by Plug-In Car Enthusiast from Chesterfield, NJ on Thu Sep 27 2012

I wanted a Plug-In car with 36 miles electric only range, volt could have fit the bill but it is only four seater and getting in and out of the car was tight, so I leased Prius Plug-In with 12 miles EV only range hoping that by end of lease their will be more options for in the Plug-In cars.

Very reliable car with HOA stickers

by Stevez from San Rafail, CA on Sun Jan 28 2018

A problem free car for with excellent gas mileage and HOA stickers. New owner get $500 check from PGE. Charges on regular outlet in 3 hours.

Great mileage

by Ragr from Las Vegas, NV on Mon Jun 25 2012

Good: 46 mpg is the lowest I've gotten and that's when driving long distance over mountains. 61 mpg is the best when I'm only driving short distances around town and able to charge every night. Comfortable ride. Hands free Bluetooth with clear sound. Bad: lots of road noise. Closing doors sound like they are toys and doors might fall off (they haven't). Entune (Toyota's apps) is completely worthless but I don't need it anyway. Passenger seatbelt knocks against sidewall when driving with window down. Hatchback does not have auto close. Must close manually. The good far outweighs the bad and the Prius Plugin shows the future path of all cars. Love it.

1 2 3

Our Take on the 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in

Toyota spent roughly 10 years marketing its Prius hybrid as a car that never needs to be plugged in, combatting an organic misperception to the contrary. Now the Prius — specifically a version called the Prius Plug-In — can indeed be plugged in. Currently available in 14 coastal states plus Hawaii, the Plug-In will be available across the U.S. by the end of 2013, Toyota says.

On the strength of the regular Prius and its zealous fans, the 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-In will probably be a lasting hit — but for questionable reasons.

The Prius Plug-In comes in two trim levels: base and Advanced. See them compared side by side.

The Latest Plug-In Philosophy