2014 Toyota Prius Plug In

Very pleased

by from Central Vermont on December 26, 2014

The car has exceeded EPA estimates and we're delighted. Our average mpg combined local and highway with over 11000 miles traveled is 64 MPG. On one fillup we got 85.5 MPG over 716 miles traveled! 85.5 MPG represents careful, local driving with lots of charges at home and a few in town. We've owned our 2014 Prius Plub-In Hybrid for almost 8 months, taken regular "long" trips, 200-400 miles one way. We've also done a lot of local driving, 14 miles one way, rarely with opportunities to re-charge before returning home. Driving style upon purchase immediately became "competitive slow driving" to conserve EV and fuel, although there have been lots of cases where running late has resulted in hours of going at top highway speed for hours. EPA estimate was 48 highway and 51 city mpg and 50 mpg overall. Without restricting ourselves to slow, prudent driving, we've easily exceeded that - and to get home we have to climb 2 miles uphill. We also realized that the Prius needs Super/Hi-test gas and gives lots better mileage using Hi-test - eliminated the rattling in the engine going uphill and gives lots better gas mileage. We're fortunate to have a couple local stations that offer Super/Hi-test without ethanol. Using this gas costs a bit more, but probably increases our mpg by 10%. Lastly, because we live in a snowy, icy location up-hill on a dirt road, and the Prius is not known for its traction, we put on studded snow tires at the beginning of November. Our MPG is somewhat reduced, but we've still averaged 55-60/mpg overall. And, you can see, we're crazily obsessed record keepers. Re other features, we didn't get the electronically adjusted seat and wish we had because I need wedge pillows on the seat to avoid pressure on the back of my legs driving and as a passenger. Re complaints one sees about acceleration, we think those complaining must be 20-somethings who don't get it that people don't buy cars like the Prius to do a fast start, but rather are very interested in fuel consumption and being kind to the planet. We've driven, and loved, sports cars in our youth and are now delighted to engage in a different kind of sporting event: how far can one go on the least amount of gas. Our 135 trip home yesterday, starting out with a "full charge" and traveling mostly highway miles on studded tires was on 60 mpg. Merry Christmas to us!

Exceeded expectations

by from Oahu, HI on January 30, 2014

It took a whlie for me to get use to driving this plug in hybrid efficently. However, after 35K miles I am getting 97 mpg accordig to the onboard computer. I think it is more like 93 mpg. However a big caveat is in order. I drive to and from work daily on Oahu, HI. We have horrible rush our traffice, deemed the worst traffice in the country (honolulu). So, obviously, that keeps my speed down. According to onbaord dispay, my average speed over the life of the car is 25 miles per hour. I also am able to cahrge at home and work.. My experience is that I can get about 14 miles on a full charge, pure elcectricity. The key is to mix the gas and electric use. I use the electric for going up hills. Regenerate going down hills. I learned to accelerate very slowy...as if I had a choice, it is a prius. Oh, then there is the traffic....Lastly a big perk for me is the abilty to use the HOV (car pool) lane, even if I'm the only one in the vehicle. Paid 32, 750, the sticker, they would "deal" at all. This is a car bought for MPG (gas is really expensive in HI), not performance. I'm happy with car..

Moden Tron

by from Chicopee, MA on May 6, 2014

We traded in our 2012 for this 2014 Prius Plug-in and the new one gets 2 miles more on a charge. Our 2012 would only charge to 11.4 miles and get about 13, but this 2014 charges to 13.4 miles and gets about 15! We traded in because we were trying to downsize from 3 cars to 2, so along with our 2006 Baja Sport, we traded 2 cars in for one! We are very satisfied with the plug-in. Around town, we always use electric and then plug it in when we get home. We usually reserve about 11 miles of electric until our GPS NAV shows about 16 miles to our house before we switch over on round trips out of town. Our home electric bill doesn't seem to be affected by the constant charging to top off the cars electric, so at high $3 gas per gallon, we are ecstatic at overall 59 mpg. Yes, some might say that the extra cost for the basic plug-in over a regular Prius isn't worth it to them, but we get $2,500 in tax credit and enjoy the extra green that we save the Earth and our gas station budget. The basic model offers most everything you could want short of leather seats! The power with both the gas and electric working together really gives us the boost for up inclines. Overall, we will continue to sing its praises and be green customers. The only thing that we honestly would upgrade to is the all-wheel drive Tesla Model X, but it is like 2 years overdue and we don't know if the all electric will ever be better than a multiple energy source car. So, please won't one of you entrepreneurs come up with a solar/battery/gas/hydrogen 4-wheel drive automobile at a price less than that of a small house? Until then, we believe the 2014 Toyota Prius Plug-in is the best you can get!

Somewhat satisfied

by from Sonoma, Ca. on May 28, 2015

The car itself is a nice comfortable car. My big disappointment is with the sales pitch. On the sticker the average mpg was 95. The salesman said it would be more like 72mpg. We are getting around 60 mpg. The charge keeps going down-it started at 11.9 and now is down to 10.5. Toyota says this is normal and we are lucky to be getting this much after owning the car for a year. Just not what we expected.

Diamond Lane Special

by from on April 30, 2017

The combination of Toyota reliability and commuting in the diamond lane make this unbeatable. Volt had better electric distance, but afraid about reliability. Leaf depreciated worse and range was limited. Best choice.

Great Car and Best part Green Carpool Stickers

by from LA,CA on May 25, 2017

Been an amazing car and loved having the Carpool access with the Green Carpool Stickers and amazing mileage, low maintenance costs and literally the 5 PRIUS I have owned

the car you can rely on, and can save you alot.

by from on June 7, 2017

I've owned 15 cars in the past, but this is the one that I will stick to it. It saves me a lot of money on gas, since it is plug-in, I usually plug it in and do my short distance driving around 12-mile radius without burning a drop of gas. This car is quiet and comfortable. It is an everyday practical car.

Purchase for the MPG

by from Cerritos, CA on January 26, 2014

This is a no frills kind of car and you're purchasing this for the savings on gas and possibly driving in the carpool lane. You're paying for the technology - not for anything fancy in the interior. It does get great gas mileage, but know that comes at a cost. The car doesn't have much power. Also note that it takes 3 hours to charge and only has a 12mile range on electricity. However - if you're considering this car compared to the similar vehicles in the market, this vehicle will probably have the most value if you decide to trade it in. I couldn't gamble on the Chevy Volt or Ford Fusion. Highly recommend to test drive all of the vehicles you're interested in!

Very reliable car

by from Escondido, California on November 8, 2017

Very well equipped, very reliable, very economical, very fast for the class. I love my prius, it is the best value for the money.

Uses car for Havingfun

Most reliable car I owed.

by from Escondido, California on October 31, 2017

Just is the best of the best manufacturer Toyota. Name speaks by itself. It is close to Lexus, made by the same manufacturer.