1998 RAV4

4.3 out of 5 starsInterior Design
4.8 out of 5 starsValue for the Money
4.9 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Would like this car to last forever

by Starving Artist from Guildhall VT on May 18, 2010

This is the best car I've ever owned, and cute as a button, too. We live in an off-grid solar house on a mountain road that destroyed two Ford Rangers in short order, and the RAV (Rural Assault Vehicle :) ) can take it with minimal replacement parts. Since we have no truck now, it carries stuff Toyota never envisioned it doing without a complaint. Also, with some thought to packing, takes all my farmers market setup stuff, yet squeezes into the small spaces. I will be in mourning when this car finally goes. 160,000 miles on my original clutch, still has great pickup. Has sunroof too, love it.

Great Compact SUV

by Jon from Columbus NE on September 15, 2010

I really enjoy driving my RAV4. I use it mostly for short trip driving in town, highway driving (farthest I have driven it is probably 80 miles), and light offroad driving. It handles great, and works well in all weather conditions. I use it for light offroad driving, in pastures and meadows for hunting and fishing, and it performs fine. I have the front wheel drive model, and it still gets me around in the outdoors. The ECT Power button is pretty cool, faster acceleration for fun, and more power for towing light trailers (and I mean pretty light), or making it up steeper hills. The reliability is great, (its a toyota for gosh sake), and I like the way it looks. Acceleration in town is alright, on the highway it gets the job done, but it seems a little lacking. But if you use the ECT button on highway conditions for passing, it does boost your acceleration up a bit (but of course lowers your fuel economy). Inside it is quite roomy for its size, and the layout of the controls is nice. The AC and heater work great, and the speakers sound good. I bought this vehicle used with 90k miles, and an aftermarket stereo. All in all it is a great little suv.

hey don't get any better

by Bentley from Wind Gap, PA on July 12, 2015

Our Ravi 4 (1998) has just turned 261 K miles. It runs like it is brand new and my wife will not let it go. So!! We had it repainted. Not just a spray job but a restoration job. (We have old British cars that we have restored over the years and a great body and paint contact). My wife works for a Volvo Dealer and they are amazed - They call it the brand new old car. They also think we are crazy to spend 5K to paint a car that is worth half that much, but we are glad we did. What ever happens in the future we will simply have it fixed. We will keep this car forever - we love it

213 k and running like new

by CTH from CO on April 24, 2014

I bought my Rav4 with 156,000 mi on it. That's when you retire other cars. Now I have 213,000 mi on it and I never had problems with this car. All I did was regular oil changes as maintenance. The repairs I did over the past five years were to replace the starter in the beginning, the battery 4 years later, and spark plugs and wires. That's it! It's a very reliable car, great for commuting or occasional offroad adventures to remote trailheads in the mountains. It handles very well in snow (AWD, locking differential, 5-speed manual), even in a foot of fresh powder. The reason for 4-stars on comfort and performance is that the noise level gets pretty high at high speeds, and it's somewhat undermotorized on steep grades uphill. I'll drive my Rav4 until it's done, which may be in another 100-200k. Knock on wood.

Uses car for Outdoor sports (hiking, cycling, etc.)

Best Car Ever

by robin from Cleveland, OH on January 28, 2015

I have a 1998 Rav4 with 186,000 miles on it. This year they must have used the best materials ever. I only have one spot of rust and that is in the inside driver door. This year now that the car is 17 years old we've had to some maintenance on the car. We replaced the exhaust system, shocks. Other than your normal wear and tear brakes, tires this car has never given me any trouble. My son 13 years ago learned to drive on it and now my daughter. We have given this car to her and bought a new/used Rav4 2005 with only 55,000.00. Looking forward to the same performance as the 1998.

Great Car! Great Value!

by Shay from New York on March 6, 2010

I had this car handed down to me from my mother who bought it new in 98 and it has been so reliable and has hardly needed any money put into it. It now has almost 220,000 miles on it and is a 5 speed manual with the original clutch. It is just a great value for the money, great 4 cyl suv to save on gas but still have to extra storage room in it. The car is great in the snow, especially with the 4x4. Great Car! Toyota knows how to make em.

Just bought it 9/23/17. pretty sure I got a diamon

by Dan-n-Gail, and the dogs from Casper Wy. on September 27, 2017

I just bought mine 9/23/17, has 190,000 miles on it and already know I will love it, I'm recently retired and my wife and I have been looking for a good dog car as we have 3 dogs. The cargo door is AWESOME! for the hounds. Anyway I plan on making this vehicle my daily driver, and plan on putting many more miles on it!

It Never Let Me Down

by Iluvedmyrav4 from Lebanon, PA on March 17, 2018

I have driven this car to work and across the country. It never let me down. Of course I have needed routine and scheduled maintenance but never any major repairs. I have moved on to a more fuel efficient car. Sad to see this one go but I am sure who ever finds it is finding a gem.

a very reliable suv

by rav4 fan from warwick,rhode island on April 30, 2018

we have owned this rav4 for 17 years.It is my wife's vehicle.bought it as an off lease with 32,000k.it now has 140,000k original miles.we have done some work to it over the last few years,water pump,timing belt,radiator.my wife will not part with this.still looks and runs well.

This gem has NEVER given me a problem! No kidding.

by Fluffy from Boston MA on September 24, 2010

Everything about this car (little SUV) is wonderful. It's now 12 years old with 110,000 K miles and is on its second set of tires, second battery, third set of brakes. It has never not started and never let me down. It is still going strong though small things are going wrong this year; eg: the lock on one of the back doors no longer unlocks when all the others are unlocked from the front, the cup holder lost one of its pins & is now lopsided. Other than that she's going strong.

1 2