Find out if this car is the best match for you.
2004 Sequoia

2004 Toyota Sequoia

2004 Toyota Sequoia

Have You Driven the 2004 Toyota Sequoia?

Original Owner, 145k Miles

by Head to the Mountains from Philadelphia on Sat Jan 28 2012

This was our very first Toyota purchase, but our 3rd SUV. After disastrous experiences with a 1998 Chevy Suburban (which only had 45k miles on it) we bought the 2004 Sequoia SR5. This has been, by far, the most reliable and inexpensive car or SUV that we've ever owned for maintenance (I bought my first new car in 1987). Not only can this truck haul easily, but it handles any road conditions with ease. The traction control works very well, but put it in 4WD and you can easily navigate snowcovered highways in New Hampshire and Vermont. We have NEVER experienced a 'breakdown' in this truck. As part of the scheduled maintenance program, we replaced the timing belt/water pump at 95k miles & had the transmission flushed. The only 'suprise' repairs have been an exhaust gasket at 75k (but let's face it, they don't last forever), and both front sway bars at 125K miles but we travel from PA to NH and Vermont regularly for ski trips, in any type of weather (frost heaves will cause suspension issues). That's it folks, nothing more. If you perform the suggested, regular maintenance and drive it like a SUV and NOT like a NASCAR DRIVER, this truck will cost you practically nothing to maintain. Regarding the MPG, again its a V8 so you cannot complain about low mileage; HOWEVER, driving this truck reasonably has gotten me 17-18 MPG around town/21-23 MPG on the highway. If you're heavy on the gas/brakes then your MPG will drop drastically to 13-14 MPG around town/16-18MPG on the highway (I see it when my teenagers drive it). I expect to be driving our Sequoia until it hits 200k miles, and with relatively low maintenance issues. And, I may even buy another 2004 SR5 (of course I'll be looking for one that has been well cared for) with lower miles to replace it. **I reviewed this truck in November of 2009 -- and it's still going strong!**

Sequoia - long term reliability is great

by altos from NORCAL on Mon Apr 16 2012

I bought a 2004 Sequoia SR5, 4WD, with 110,000 miles on it. I have put on another 70,000. Not one single problem. It's nice to drive, good in the snow, can carry 7, has all the power anyone would rationally need and get 17.6 MPG with 65% freeway, 35% in town. I would like to get a CR-V but, even at $4.25/gal, it's hard to justify the cost when the Toyota just keeeeeeps running.

ULTRA RELIABILITY

by Chicago native from on Sun Aug 24 2014

We've had this car for 10 years and put on 150,000 miles without a single problem to report. This car is the most reliable car out there and that is why you still see so many of the old Sequoia's on the road today. The four wheel drive is great in the snow and the car handles and accelerates fine for a car this size. The seats are very comfortable, and although it may be 10 years old the interior and exterior of the car doesn't feel outdated yet. We recently took it on a trip from Illinois to South Carolina without stopping overnight anywhere and it was perfectly fine. We also averaged about 19 mpg on that trip.

Great SUV - Family with 5 Kids

by At the Slopes from Philadelphia on Tue Nov 17 2009

We've had some relatively minor issues in the grand scheme of things: a head gasket needed replacement at 75k miles, control arms at 90k. As a matter of regular maintenance, we had the timing belt/water pump changed at 95k miles (I believe that Toyota recommended it at 100k miles but we don't like leaving things to chance. We've always provided regular oil changes and maintenance - just rolled the odometer at 100k miles and the engine seems to be running strong. As far as performance in the snow ... fantastic! We travel to New Hampshire often since our boys are involved in competitive snowboarding. We're from Philadelphia BUT always felt safe & in control while driving in the snow.

My 2004 Sequoia just keeps going

by Robert from Oklahoma City, OK on Sun May 07 2017

This is by far the best vehicle I've ever purchased. It has gone nearly 250000 miles without any major issue. I expect I will drive it until it falls apart underneath me and then I will likely buy another Sequoia. Big, comfortable, smooth. Best vehicle out there for getting up to the mountains with the whole family stowed inside.

Nicest car I've ever owned

by Mommy from Connecticut on Fri Nov 17 2006

I bought this truck used and I have to say it's a beast, I have two kids and the room is great and it handles excellent, you would never know your in such a large vehicle. Gas mileage isn't great, but of course you have a V8, so we chose this type of gas eater. But I can't wait to see how it handles in the snow, the options are nice, I really like it.

The SUV that makes me sad to sell

by David Sheriff from Belle Plaine, MN on Mon Apr 10 2017

This SUV has helped me in many ways, to taking me to far far places and carrying stuff that you'd have to rent a truck for. This vehicle is sure to help anyone in need and will sure to make its owner happy fo how reliable it is,

We call it the tank. 193k miles and still strong

by Sal from Houston, TX on Wed Sep 06 2017

It does not requires anything from you. Just keep up with the oil changes, tires and regular maintenance and it will last you forever with out any problems. I have 193k miles on it and it drives better than most vehicles with 100k miles less. the only con i can consider is the gas. it is very thirsty. I probably get like 13 mpg with my grill guard but other than that no complains at all.

Most Comfortable & Reliable SUV I've Ever Owned!

by Casselberryengineer from Casselberry, FL on Mon Jul 24 2017

This vehicle is a great vehicle. I've owned it for 13 years and it's a comfortable ride and comfortable in with the 3rd Row Seats. It has tons of room for 8 people and plenty of cup holders, electrical outlets for electronics, very safe and extremely comfortable. This vehicle in all 13 years has never failed me. Never left me stranded and I've had absolutely Zero problems. Toyota makes a very well made vehicle.

looking for a cheap big suv

by DB13 from DOUGLAS MA on Thu Jul 13 2017

never owned one before and we love big vehicles, sequoia is awesome, rides great and looks great, could be a little better on the gas mileage but its not terrible, its an all wheel drive havent used in the snow but i hear there is no problems

1 2 3