2008 Sienna

4.7 out of 5 starsReliability

All Reviews

Greatly improved

by Large Family from Southeastern, PA on March 2, 2011

We are a family of 7 (5 sons age 4 mo to 13) so we needed something ROOMY. Also considered Sprinter, Yukon/Suburban, Town & Country, Caravan, and Odyssy. Sienna won in the end. Traded a beat 2000 LE (180K miles) for a 2008 LE (47K) and wow, what a difference. Interior is the no-nonsense "function over flash" Toyota excels at. No DVD option on this one, but removable units could be mounted on front headrests and seen throughout. We have one power door on this model (passenger side), and wish we had more (empty buttons on the ceiling cluster remind us we don't have them). Stowable 3rd row seats are very easy, and result in increased cargo space in the back. 2000 had full size spare underneath, this does not because of stow feature, but worth tradeoff for the extra space inside. Optional 8th seat, and console between driver/passenger sears are very nice. I am 6' 7, and I can actually fit in any seat, although tilt steering wheel obscures top of the speedometer for me when all the way up. Seats are larger and comfier than stow & go seats of T/C and caravan. Carpeted mats cover almost every exposed inch of floor, so you have a chance of saving the carpets. Ride is so smooth and quiet, you'll have to relearn how fast you are going. During test drive I looked down while on the highway and was going 85!. Sitting in driver's seat, not a single inch of van is in your primary field of vision. It's like sitting 2 feet from a big screen HD TV. If you feel more secure seeing things like your own front end, roof supports, etc when driving, this may not be the best for you. Gearshift in console under the stereo takes getting used to, especially with 4th and 5th gear "overdrive" differentiated with a slight movement of the knob. (2000 had overdrive button on the end of the column shifter) Engine has nice acceleration and does not complain...even at 85. Stereo volume auto adjusts based on speed, and as typical for Toyotas, is heavy on the Bass. Because of my size, some buttons to left of steering were blocked by my knee. I miss having mute button on the wheel, but other controls still there. Cruise controls are a little more out of the way than they used to be, but still a lever on right side of column rather than front, which is OK for me even with my knees in the way. - I imagine the big a** airbag in the wheel took up all the space. Actually, everywhere I look I see an airbag label in this thing. Power windows in the sliding doors are sweet, as is the disable button on the dash when the kids find out there are power windows in the sliding doors. Turning radius in this thing is impressively small. I think I could do circles in my living room. Steering/suspension is indeed "light" as other reviews say. If you want more sporty feel, fork over the dough for an Odyssy. Our 2000 had a LOT of problems, but we beat it to 180K miles, so what do you expect? Extended warranty may be a good idea as there is a long list of expensive to fix/replace things in this van. Overall, this van is one heck of a nice ride.

Toyota lover

by Minivan enthusiast from Houston on February 1, 2010

I love this car!! I bought the car loaded with accessories. I like everything about the car. The only problem I have had is with the second row seats being hard to disengage and fold over. The car has a wonderful smooth ride with good turning capability.

Engine Valve Knock

by Mike from NY on March 31, 2014

Every single Sienna owner tells me the same thing: this thing sounds like a diesel engine when you start it up. Toyota won't admit that there is a valve slapping sound, and it worries me that the engine will not last. Otherwise, it's not a bad machine. I just wish they'd step up and acknowledge the engine slapping problem with their v6 minivans.

Does not recommend this car!!

Great Van

by Chuck from Sioux Falls SD on September 6, 2011

I had purchased a new 2008 Toyota, after it got totaled out I wanted another. I had to go 300 miles into Iowa, but I got one identical to the one that got wrecked. They are so very dependable, they work.

Lowest cost of maintenance ever

by Family man from on April 23, 2012

I believe the consumers reports specialists are coming to the same conclusion, but just wanted to say this is our second Sienna and we will continue to buy them as long as we need a minivan. The ride is great and the maintenance required is minimal. Great quality vehicle. We have 4 kids and we take family road trips every year riding in comfort and confident in our Sienna's ability to make the trip.

Lots of room

by Cooking Gal from on January 24, 2014

the van I purchased from Carlo at Rock Auto ROCKS!! I did the research and my mechanic agreed Toyota was the best choice for me. As a personal chef the room is awesome, parties for 100 piece of pie easy with seats that roll into the car and others that fold up. Carlo treated me fairly, got a dent fixed as part of the deal and gave me great service. I was lucky to find the car I needed and the salesman that made it painless. Thanks Carlo your expertise is appreciated RMB

best dealer, best experience

by Richie Rich from staten Island, NY on April 30, 2014

Major nice, major sweet, major joy, no hassle, very comfortable, Ider Vivas a very good person to work with. sorry Major world.

'08 Toyota Sienna LE FWD

by javier3563 from Blue Island, IL on March 27, 2017

The Toyota Sienna is a very practical and reliable vehicle indeed. Maintenance is affordable, and fuel economy is reasonable. I have not had any mechanical or electrical issues, other than a leaking timing cover. Problem is that like many of vehicles equipped with Toyota's 2GR V6, the timing chain cover is bound to leak. Leaking 2GR-FE engines will display evidence of a small oil leak located where the bank 1 cylinder head, engine block and timing cover meet. Although the cover on my Sienna has begun to leak at 76K miles, I have not had to top off oil since the leak is very small. Regular oil changes every 5K miles ensures enough clean oil circulates throughout the engine. Will need to have this issue fixed though, since the leak will only get worse as the seal deteriorates. Would recommend obtaining extended warranty for your vehicle, which unfortunately I did not get. One other thing to note is that the engine has a rather noisy valve train, and is especially noticeable at start up. Everything aside, the engine is very capable and delivers power when needed. With about 270 horsepower and 250 foot ponds of torque, the Sienna has a towing capacity of 3500 pounds. The five speed automatic is very smooth and in highway driving I have achieved about 30 mpg, which in my opinion is excellent for a minivan. The interior is very clean and simple. The third row seats can be easily folded down for more trunk space. The second row seats can be removed, but can be a bit of a hassle to deal with should you find the need for more space in the rear. With the third row seats folded and second row seats removed though, there is enough space to lay down 4x8 pieces of plywood or even sofas, mattresses, tables, or anything else for your moving needs. The Sienna is a very reliable family mover with excellent performance, good fuel economy, and practical for every day commute or for the need to haul around your furniture when moving.

Wonderful van!

by 1st Time Sienna Owner from Grapevine, TX on January 4, 2008

The Sienna is awesome! It has so many features, it is so comfortable, quiet and the gas mileage is outstanding. The interior is roomy and the ride is very smooth. Installing car seats and booster seats for the kids was easy and I definitely recommend the power sliding doors. The handling is great...both in town and on the highway and the engine does not feel underpowered like most other vans.

reliable for a family use

by sam from Memphis,tn on December 29, 2012

Good choise for the price and performance. Cars.com contributed best role on searching what I need with my budget.

1 2 3 4 5